Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   6 Series (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Just bought a 2006 650cic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657801)

Nightingales 11-12-2012 07:40 PM

Just bought a 2006 650cic

Still very excited about the purchase but after only three days the car is already back in the shop to fix a leaky roof :cry: we have until tomorrow to decide if they can fix it or if we want to return the car.
I couldn't find much about leaky roofs. When we looked at the car we noticed water stains inside the roof and were promised they would look into it before we took the car over. So when we got it, I went straight to a car wash. On the drivers side it wasn't too bad, a few drops. I figure you might have to live with that if you go to a car wash and that regular rain probably won't penetrate. But the passenger side had the water come in in droves! We caught it with our cupped hands! No way I can accept that.
They are exchanging 7 seals tomorrow, they said. Cross your fingers.... I LOVE this car, we upgraded from a 330cic which was sweet too. With 10 years of age, that car didn't leak at all!

Anyway, first post and all...

Marc

reytran 11-12-2012 08:17 PM

Handwash would solve the prob. I only go to carwash when im really really lazy. There are soft top care kits selling from bmw dealer. It smells nice but I dont know does it really work.

Nightingales 11-12-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reytran (Post 7191431)
Handwash would solve the prob. I only go to carwash when im really really lazy. There are soft top care kits selling from bmw dealer. It smells nice but I dont know does it really work.

Thanks much for the reply but my point is that I doubt hand wash would solve the problem - I am afraid of rain coming in when I'm driving through a heavy downpour. I just don't want to wait until I do that to find out for sure, so I'm using the car wash as a test bed while we have this beautiful fall weather here. Have to decide tomorrow if I return the car or keep it...

reytran 11-12-2012 08:54 PM

It better to just return the car imo. To replace or fix the top it would cost u crazy. I never had any issue with my top but one of my frd got his Z4 soft top replaced for 5k.

FredoinSF 11-12-2012 09:28 PM

Keep your 330 and buy a 650i coupe instead of a convertible. That's what I did.

tampamark 11-13-2012 06:54 AM

The 6 convertible does not leak typically, that is not the norm. The biggest problem is the top unlocked error.

Seems to me that I wouldn't even want the car if the top was still stained, even if they replace the seals that would look like junk? Unless you got the best deal ever. Not to mention if this car had that bad of a leak has it run down into other areas in the dash, will you have future issues?

bedstuyguy86 11-13-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tampamark (Post 7191906)
The 6 convertible does not leak typically, that is not the norm. The biggest problem is the top unlocked error.

Seems to me that I wouldn't even want the car if the top was still stained, even if they replace the seals that would look like junk? Unless you got the best deal ever. Not to mention if this car had that bad of a leak has it run down into other areas in the dash, will you have future issues?

+1 I'm sure the extent of damage caused by the leaking isn't confined to the soft top itself. I would def return the car and look for another one. Water damage is nothing to play around with.

pablo645 11-13-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedstuyguy86 (Post 7192259)
+1 I'm sure the extent of damage caused by the leaking isn't confined to the soft top itself. I would def return the car and look for another one. Water damage is nothing to play around with.

+2 Agree with Mark and bedstuyguy86 on this one. If it was leaking that badly, who knows how long this might have been going on. I would return this one and look for something else.

Yorgi 11-13-2012 04:57 PM

+3.

I would be worried about issues with electronics and rust under the carpet due to water damage.

There are lots of other 6ers out there. If you keep it I would ask for a completely new top - about $900 for the fabric.

TopDownInFL 11-13-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorgi (Post 7193110)
+3.

I would be worried about issues with electronics and rust under the carpet due to water damage.

There are lots of other 6ers out there. If you keep it I would ask for a completely new top - about $900 for the fabric.

+4 and +1 on Yorgi! (So am I +5'ing then?)

Nightingales 11-14-2012 02:35 PM

Wow, guys, getting scared here... But they have ordered new window/top seals, will get them put in Friday. I checked the car as much as I could for other water damage but couldn't find anything, no mold, rust, etc. I will keep everyone posted.