Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   06 X3 misfires (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657843)

ncord 11-13-2012 02:43 AM

06 X3 misfires

When I accellerate to merge etc.the engine sounds good till just before it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear (auto trans.).Then it seems to mis fire a bit until it shifts.I put in a bottle of seafoam,and have just replaced the plugs .Plug #2 had oil all over it ,even up the sides of it.
Cleaned up the oil & installed new plug ,but car still misfires with hard accelleration at about 4000 rpm.in 3rd gear.With reving in park or regular accell.it runs good.What could it be???
Car is an 06 3.0 with 86k.miles (car orig.from USA)

jdauria 11-13-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncord (Post 7191689)
When I accellerate to merge etc.the engine sounds good till just before it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear (auto trans.).Then it seems to mis fire a bit until it shifts.I put in a bottle of seafoam,and have just replaced the plugs .Plug #2 had oil all over it ,even up the sides of it.
Cleaned up the oil & installed new plug ,but car still misfires with hard accelleration at about 4000 rpm.in 3rd gear.With reving in park or regular accell.it runs good.What could it be???

That sounds like you need to replace the valve gasket cover if your getting oil up in the plugs.

Throwing any codes? If so, list them

brewder 11-13-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncord (Post 7191689)

My '08 does something similar... It sometimes feels like it "hesitates" but only under heavy acceleration. I'm due for new plugs in roughly 25k miles, but may replace them and the ignition coils much sooner.. Someone also has suggested replacing the O2 sensors, but those are expensive and should last way past 100k miles..

My plan is to keep running Techron through the system every could thousand miles (no seafoam), then replace the plugs..then the coils.

mrsanchez3 11-13-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewder (Post 7191788)
My '08 does something similar... It sometimes feels like it "hesitates" but only under heavy acceleration. I'm due for new plugs in roughly 25k miles, but may replace them and the ignition coils much sooner.. Someone also has suggested replacing the O2 sensors, but those are expensive and should last way past 100k miles..

My plan is to keep running Techron through the system every could thousand miles (no seafoam), then replace the plugs..then the coils.

Why not seafoam?

brewder 11-13-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsanchez3 (Post 7192005)
Why not seafoam?

Because I haven't found a single person on Bimmerfest that speaks highly of it for our cars... Not to mention that BMW recommends Techron as the fuel system cleaner of choice. So i'm sticking with that. :thumbup:

mrsanchez3 11-13-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewder (Post 7192049)
Because I haven't found a single person on Bimmerfest that speaks highly of it for our cars... Not to mention that BMW recommends Techron as the fuel system cleaner of choice. So i'm sticking with that. :thumbup:

Gotcha... Thank you... I haven't used any of this stuff... I've actually never used fuel cleaner on any car I've ever had... So, I was wondering if you'd used both... Thanks!

x3brian 11-13-2012 09:00 AM

I am going to butcher the explanation but one of the users on here recently gave a through reason why seafoam doesn't work with our engine. I will have to find the thread when I have a moment but it had something to do with our engine design is not compatible with what seafoam is designed to do. It won't harm anything but it won't help either.

ncord 11-13-2012 02:36 PM

No codes,and oil is only on one plug.I was wondering if it was a bad plug coil

halltristan 11-14-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewder (Post 7191788)

It doesn't make sense to replace the coils. They're like light bulbs, either they're on or off. There is no in between.

ncord 11-23-2012 02:38 PM

Replaced VCG and spark plug seals .Cleaned plug that had oil in tube ,and cleaned MAF sensor with spray.Car runs great until I accelerate up hills between 3 & 4000 rpm
and then it misfires.Idles smooth and is good on acceleration below that.What could it be???

fivepointnine 11-25-2012 05:44 AM

since it is just one cylinder that you are having the issue with, there is only a few things it could be...I would put money on a bad coil pack, possibly the coil connector?

ncord 11-25-2012 07:45 AM

It was one cylinder that had oil in it but I changed the VCG & plug seals,so that should be good now.But it is still missing when under load around 4000rpm.

X3-terrestrial 11-25-2012 08:12 AM

Hesitation under load and no CEL, could be a sign of gas starvation. It could be just a clogged fuel filter or a fuel pump going bad. But in order to diagnose a fuel pump, you need special equipment to measure fuel pressures.
Also O2 sensors have been known to produce hesitation under acceleration when they start to fail, although not triggering a CEL.

X3-terrestrial 11-25-2012 08:54 AM

Found this article:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/fuel_pump_diagnose.htm

ncord 12-04-2012 10:40 AM

Do you think it could be Transmission problems???