Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   HID Fog lights from DDMTuning.com works on the F10 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657885)

Alan L. 11-13-2012 08:43 AM

HID Fog lights from DDMTuning.com works on the F10

Just a FYI for those on the fence about doing this upgrade...

I bought the 35watt 5000K H11 kit from ddmtuning and they work flawlessly on my 2013 Msport without any errors popping up or flickering. Just make sure you also order the "Error Code Eliminator" along with your kit. For $50 total you can't go wrong.

Alan

alextremo 11-13-2012 10:09 AM

Nice - any pix?

Alan L. 11-13-2012 10:21 AM

none yet but its def. much brighter than the regular bulbs i had in there before. The 5000K gives off a slightly more blueish color than the factory hid's but its a pretty good match. Far from those ghetto 6000K and up blue/purple hids i see idiots running around with in their mini vans.

Mr. Grumpy 11-13-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7192275)
none yet but its def. much brighter than the regular bulbs i had in there before. The 5000K gives off a slightly more blueish color than the factory hid's but its a pretty good match. Far from those ghetto 6000K and up blue/purple hids i see idiots running around with in their mini vans.

Isn't the H.I.D. fog lights to bright for the incoming traffic? I'm on the fence with this mod since I've been wanting to match the fog lights color with the head lights but not to the account of blinding others.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot, I just want to hear your personal experience with the H.I.D. light output and the incoming traffic. Has some one flashed their high beams at you yet?

miamiboyca 11-13-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7192275)
Far from those ghetto 6000K and up blue/purple hids i see idiots running around with in their mini vans.

I like my minivan... and just wait until I put the 22"s on it. :rofl:

Some night time pics would be great! Also how do you make sure they are aimed correctly?

Alan L. 11-13-2012 11:38 AM

I have not been high beamed yet after I installed this. I don't expect this to blind incoming drivers since they are so low to the ground. Honestly the lights barely hit the bumpers of cars in front of me so unless i'm on a wicked hill i don't think this will be a major issue. Quite honestly even if it did I wouldn't care that much if it helps me prevent all those idiots that likes to pull out of a side street directly in front of my car. I think the F10 is too quiet or something because I never had this issue with my previous cars because they all had louder exhaust systems.

Alan

miamiboyca 11-13-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7192464)
I have not been high beamed yet after I installed this. I don't expect this to blind incoming drivers since they are so low to the ground. Honestly the lights barely hit the bumpers of cars in front of me so unless i'm on a wicked hill i don't think this will be a major issue. Quite honestly even if it did I wouldn't care that much if it helps me prevent all those idiots that likes to pull out of a side street directly in front of my car. I think the F10 is too quiet or something because I never had this issue with my previous cars because they all had louder exhaust systems.

Alan

Unfortunately for me I have had that my whole driving life... lol

lll F10 lll 11-13-2012 12:18 PM

THANK YOU, finally someone with a STRAIGHTFORWARD simple answer. Ordering mine today :)

Silververtu 11-13-2012 12:20 PM

Great find Alan. I was about to get 3000k 55w halogen foglights. How hard is the install, do you have DIY instruction? Did you get the HID harness and mounting bracket? Also, where did you put the ballast?

lll F10 lll 11-13-2012 12:34 PM

Leaning towards the 55W kit as well.

The install should be very straight forward, plug & play. I think the toughest part would be to find a place to securely mount the ballasts, but that should be it. No cutting or soldering required.

Alan L. 11-13-2012 12:42 PM

Just order the 35watt kit plus the error eliminator cables. You don't need anything else. Should be $50 plus whatever shipping is.

The install is simple as can be for the Msport bumper. Not sure if this will work on the non Msport bumpers.

1) Remove the mesh grill around the fog lights simply by pulling it straight out. Try to get your finger around the lens and mesh grill then just pull.

2) Stack the ddm tuning kit ballast, ignitor and error canceller on top of each other. They are small boxes and you can use double sided tape to do this. You are doing this to make the install cleaner and take up less space by stacking them up together. Also prevents them from banging around each other during bumps.

3) add double sided tape on the bottom of the ballast. This will mount to the bottom shield behind the fog lights

4) connect the wires and swap in the hid bulb

5) peel off the backing of the double sided tape and place the electronics directly behind the fog light housing. There is just enough room and a flat surface for this to mount back there. Seems sturdy and its completely out of sight. Use the 3M grade (red backing) and it also helps if you wipe down the flat area behind the fog light before sticking it there.

6) reinstall the mesh just by pushing it back in.

Honestly this whole process took me less than 30mins both sides on my Msport bumper.

Alan

Alan L. 11-13-2012 12:45 PM

Someone on the other forum said the 55watt kit didn't work on his F10 and the 35watt worked fine. His car had errors so he stuck with the 35watt kit. He was trying this in his headlights though so not sure if the fogs would react the same.

Alan

Silververtu 11-13-2012 01:04 PM

Great instruction. Thanks Alan!!!!

Time to get my hands dirty again

Mr. Grumpy 11-13-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7192464)

Alan

Alan, thx for the response. I was thinking the same thing, the fog lights are so low that it shouldn't bother the incoming traffic but I wanted to hear it from someone that had the upgrade.

I upgraded the D1S bulb to 5,000K so I'll be ordering the same for the fog lights.

Again, thx for the response.

lll F10 lll 11-13-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy (Post 7192762)
Alan, thx for the response. I was thinking the same thing, the fog lights are so low that it shouldn't bother the incoming traffic but I wanted to hear it from someone that had the upgrade.

I upgraded the DS1 bulb to 5,000K so I'll be ordering the same for the fog lights.

Again, thx for the response.

Were your 5000K D1S from DDM Tuning as well?

Mr. Grumpy 11-13-2012 02:17 PM

No, I bought mine on e-bay but they're made by Sylvania. Is the Osram Sylvania D1S 5000k.

lll F10 lll 11-13-2012 03:12 PM

All you ballers. I might be the first one to experiment with the DDM Tuning 5000K D1S replacement bulbs then!

Alan L. 11-13-2012 04:19 PM

I would advise against getting the ddm tuning bulbs for your headlights. My stuff shipped straight from china and were pretty much what you would expect for $35. Personally I would get higher quality headlight bulbs or leave them stock but that's just me.

Alan

Medimisr 12-10-2012 07:30 AM

I just put 5000's on my fogs... i love how they accent the msport bumper, but i can't stand the contrast between them and the angel eyes and headlights!!!
I've been researching a solution for this, but i'm finding people had issues with the led replacements for the led's. I'll probably change the stock headlight bulbs to 5000's, but the angel eye rings will still be a dull white compared to the blueish tint that the 5000's have.

Chuck W. 01-03-2013 05:39 PM

Many thanks to Alan L. for starting this post. I bought the same lights from DDM Tuning. Great results.

Driver's Side Mod.. Passenger's Side OEM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...I/P1220229.jpg

Both Done

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...I/P1220232.jpg

Travel4Surf 01-03-2013 06:14 PM

Can you please post a photo with just the fog lights and angle eyes (park lights) on?

Alan L. 01-03-2013 08:20 PM

Looks great!

If you want bulbs that match the halos I would suggest the morimoto 5000k bulbs. They are more white while the ddm bulbs looks alittle more blue.

Alan

Chuck W. 01-04-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travel4Surf (Post 7288078)
Can you please post a photo with just the fog lights and angle eyes (park lights) on?

Sure. Oddly enough, in person there is not such a blue tint as shown in the photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...I/P1220235.jpg

BigDeep1 01-05-2013 10:47 AM

Hmm...

Is it possible to change the bulbs in the angel eyes to get the 5k temp color? I will say that I love how the new OEM BMW angel eyes are much brighter than the aftermarket upgrade bulbs of the e60 and similar.

DallasBimmer 01-19-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7192614)
Just order the 35watt kit plus the error eliminator cables. You don't need anything else. Should be $50 plus whatever shipping is.

The install is simple as can be for the Msport bumper. Not sure if this will work on the non Msport bumpers.

1) Remove the mesh grill around the fog lights simply by pulling it straight out. Try to get your finger around the lens and mesh grill then just pull.

Alan

OK, I tried getting the mesh grill out by pulling on it and its pretty snug in there. My car is only days old so I don't want to break the grille piece.

Is there a trick to doing this without breaking any (tabs)?