Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Deer Avoidance (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657909)

GermanRoots 11-13-2012 09:58 AM

Deer Avoidance

After hitting a deer last fall in my wife's LR4 I triggered the airbags and ended up doing about 12k in damage to her car. I'm am hyper sensitive to deer on the road this time of year. Does anyone know of any accessory that scares the deer away?

I'm reminiscent of some whistle looking product that I put on my Chevy S-10 Blazer as a young driver. I'm not sure they actually did anything, but they made my Grandmother feel more comfortable. Regardless, I'm not putting those deer whistles on my Bimmer, but would be open to other accessory options if there is anything out there.

laser 11-13-2012 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Why yes ....... I believe this can be discreetly mounted as used as needed ......

DavidZ 11-13-2012 11:47 AM

I've been traveling through deer country in Texas pretty much my entire life. I'm sure areas of OK are similar. The only solution to the problem is to have good headlights and drive slow enough to stop or safely swerve to avoid deer on or along side the road. You probably know that a deer can jump out in front of your car at the last second even when you think it's out of harms way. They get confused by the headlights. Traveling at a slow speed is the key. Also, be extra careful on moonlit nights when deer often feed at night.

tadtaggert 11-13-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidZ (Post 7192493)
I've been traveling through deer country in Texas pretty much my entire life. I'm sure areas of OK are similar. The only solution to the problem is to have good headlights and drive slow enough to stop or safely swerve to avoid deer on or along side the road. You probably know that a deer can jump out in front of your car at the last second even when you think it's out of harms way. They get confused by the headlights. Traveling at a slow speed is the key. Also, be extra careful on moonlit nights when deer often feed at night.

+1

And don't let any over zealous salesperson tell you that the night vision option is a/the solution.

Donm 11-13-2012 06:22 PM

Betting the odds, your wife has had her encounter and it won't be repeated. That is what I would wish for you, at the least.
It will be unnerving for a while to drive in similar surroundings, thankfully the car was good protection!

GermanRoots 11-13-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 7192401)
Why yes ....... I believe this can be discreetly mounted as used as needed ......

I love it! Is that an OEM accessory? :dunno:

MSgtMel 11-13-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GermanRoots (Post 7193613)
I love it! Is that an OEM accessory? :dunno:

If memory serves, that was a corporate individual modification from Q division, fitted to an Aston Martin. :D

Ralph1201 11-14-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 7192401)

too good!! :rofl:

GermanRoots 11-14-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadtaggert (Post 7192662)
+1

And don't let any over zealous salesperson tell you that the night vision option is a/the solution.

I was curious about that. Do you have the night vision option? Is it helpful?

tadtaggert 11-14-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GermanRoots (Post 7195707)
I was curious about that. Do you have the night vision option? Is it helpful?

Don't have it. In my mind, anything that you have to look at that isn't the road is more of a problem than solution.

PeterC4 11-14-2012 07:59 PM

These are state of the art choices in hand held form. Should do the trick when mounted on a side window gun rack.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...4/img-4615.jpg