Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Hissing sound from center console (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657967)

jgscott987 11-13-2012 01:59 PM

Hissing sound from center console
 
My car has developed a hissing sound coming from the climate controls in the center console. In the past the hissing sound would occur briefly when adjusting the temperature or the AC, but now the sound is relatively constant. The hiss stops when you turn off the AC, but otherwise it is fairly constant.

My guess is that the thermostat for the AC has some sort of pneumatic linkage. The thermostat in my office makes a similar hissing sound when you adjust the temperature setting.

My hope is that something minor is stuck and will resolve itself. My fear is that if I don't address the problem soon, it may cause some bigger failure.

Anyone experience anything like this? Any thoughts on whether I should give it time, or take it in right away?

Thanks!

DDraper 11-13-2012 02:59 PM

Sounds like the makings of a not so awesome sequel starring Samuel L. Jackson. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

dunderhi 11-14-2012 06:22 AM

It's not normal, I would take it to the dealer.

bighungry618 11-14-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDraper (Post 7192896)
Sounds like the makings of a not so awesome sequel starring Samuel L. Jackson. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

LMAO...."Snakes in my Mother*****g 5'er"

OP, get it checked, def not normal.

Ralph1201 11-14-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighungry618 (Post 7194066)
LMAO...."Snakes in my Mother*****g 5'er"

OP, get it checked, def not normal.

:rofl:

jgscott987 12-11-2012 12:09 PM

Well, I finally got around to getting this fixed (when the system stopped blowing cold air :angel:). Turns out I had a pinched o-ring and all of the freon leaked out. The o-ring was under the hood by the compressor, so not sure why there was hissing coming from the climate control panel. Anyway, figured I'd give an update.

What's the chance that I damaged my AC by running it without freon? Works great now, but my guess is that I put some undue wear and tear on it....

Needsdecaf 12-11-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgscott987 (Post 7243236)
Well, I finally got around to getting this fixed (when the system stopped blowing cold air :angel:). Turns out I had a pinched o-ring and all of the freon leaked out. The o-ring was under the hood by the compressor, so not sure why there was hissing coming from the climate control panel. Anyway, figured I'd give an update.

What's the chance that I damaged my AC by running it without freon? Works great now, but my guess is that I put some undue wear and tear on it....

Shouldn't be.

Your compressor would have a low pressure cutoff switch that would disable the compressor once the refrigerant pressure got below a certain level for exactly this reason. Because after all, the refrigerant is also the lubricant.

Quacker 12-11-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighungry618 (Post 7194066)
LMAO...."Snakes in my Mother*****g 5'er"

OP, get it checked, def not normal.

Funny - I was just reading about the snake pavilion collapsing at the Denver Zoo. Now the snakes don't have a pit to hiss in!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms