Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   console confusion (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657982)

dougy 11-13-2012 02:55 PM

console confusion

Got my x28i (6 weeks after order) and I'm confused about USB in the center console. Mine has the technology package, USB ports in the glove box and upfront in the dash. Several places in the owners manual it talks about an additional port in the console for a phone and there is a cradle there but no port. Am I missing something or did I misorder?

AzNMpower32 11-13-2012 04:51 PM

Are you referring to the snap-in adapter for smart phones?

dougy 11-13-2012 06:09 PM

I'm not sure. I think the part in the console would be considered the "mobile phone cradle" which from the photos would hold the snap in adapter. What I'm looking for is the USB connection in the console as there is no adapter for the iphone 5.

skndchanzs 11-13-2012 07:02 PM

I also have the Tech package and do not see a USB port in the console. If you don't have the cradle (wouldn't work with an iPhone 5 anyways) you will need to connect either via Bluetooth or via the USB port in front of the gear selector or in the glove box. Resting the phone in the console even if there were a USB plug might lead to overheating. I do have the cradle (with the fan) but it requires me to take my phone out of its case so until I get a new case (one that slips on/off easily) I've been using the port in front of the gear selector and sliding the phone in the little recess/pocket that is there. You can easily tuck the cable under the phone and it allows some airflow at least.

I thought I had read that there was a USB port in the console as well, but there isn't one there. Maybe in models w/o the tech/idrive package?

DeeDee

skr9 11-14-2012 10:11 AM

I have the tech package also - there is a USB port in the glove box?!? Cannot wait to get home and plug my iPod in there then...... did not like plugging/unplugging all the time using the USB port by the shifter.
As for the cradle in the center armrest console, I read elsewhere that BMW is currently developing the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5 and should be avaiable by June of 2013.

greyX1 11-15-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skr9 (Post 7194508)
I have the tech package also - there is a USB port in the glove box?!? Cannot wait to get home and plug my iPod in there then...... did not like plugging/unplugging all the time using the USB port by the shifter.
As for the cradle in the center armrest console, I read elsewhere that BMW is currently developing the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5 and should be avaiable by June of 2013.

Wow, only taking them almost a full year to develop the cradle? iPhone 6 will be out by then!

canuck88 06-21-2013 04:04 PM

Bizarre - my fully loaded (useless apps and all) 2013 35i M-sport does not have a USB port in the glovebox...

Saberwalk 06-21-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck88 (Post 7665615)
Bizarre - my fully loaded (useless apps and all) 2013 35i M-sport does not have a USB port in the glovebox...

You should, but it is not in the same place as my three and five series. Look at page 120of the manual (pdf version anyway). Should be on left side of glove box opening.

greyX1 06-21-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck88 (Post 7665615)

neither does our bare-bones s28i!

Marshotel 06-22-2013 04:36 AM

I don't think placement of the USB port was well though out. My X5 had it in the console and that made much more sense, especially for those of us that hate wires hanging all over.

stonex1 06-22-2013 07:23 AM

Not sure why you wouldn't have one in the glove box.
My 2013 with nav has it, and its nice too because you can plug in a small usb stick,
and still be able to close the glove box.

Supagoat 06-23-2013 08:46 AM

Yah I've got both USB ports with an x28i w/ultimate package. The glove box port is on the left side and mine had a little slip of paper specifying the types of devices that can be plugged into it.

BTW, if you want a great USB drive for putting in either location, try http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer.../dp/B00812F7O8 It's tiny!

canuck88 06-23-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saberwalk (Post 7665721)
You should, but it is not in the same place as my three and five series. Look at page 120of the manual (pdf version anyway). Should be on left side of glove box opening.

You're right - not only left side, but super high and very easy to miss!

kepostil 06-24-2013 03:39 PM

my 2013 x28 has both one in the console and one in the glove box on the left hand side (it is a little difficult to locate), The great thing about the one in the glove box is you can download music from an USB drive using that port and save it in your media. Unlike the port in the center console, which will only allow you to "read" and play music from device plugged in there, but will not allow you to download it and store it.

whitby 06-24-2013 04:09 PM

The USB socket in the glove box is for updating software and loading music on USB sticks into the system. It cannot be used to connect your iPhone etc. to play back music. The USB socket in the dashboard console or snap in connector (if you are so equipped) in the center console is used to connect your player for music playback.