Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   6 Series (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Vacume pump R&R (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658052)

coug60 11-13-2012 07:51 PM

Vacume pump R&R

I was told by my SA today that my vacuum pump has started to leak oil externally and that I should have it fixed within the next few months. $942.00 including parts and labor...

Any suggestions and/or is there a DIY on this?

HerbP 11-13-2012 07:59 PM

There was a thread around 6 to 9 months ago where one was repaired. It might have been on the 7 series forum. I would not think that it would be to hard to replace any leaking seals. They could always be replaced with some ATV.

Good Luck!

Yorgi 11-13-2012 10:17 PM

The pump cost only $312.98 at Tischer.

It looks very easy to replace as a DIY, I would do it myself for sure. TIS instructions.

Mulchman 11-14-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coug60 (Post 7193519)
I was told by my SA today that my vacuum pump has started to leak oil externally and that I should have it fixed within the next few months. $942.00 including parts and labor...

Any suggestions and/or is there a DIY on this?

Were you having any problems or noises? Or did they just happen to notice it during an inspection?

whitedesigns 11-14-2012 06:58 AM

recall issue?

Yorgi can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this part of a recall? I had mine replaced free of charge a couple years ago.

dawg1 11-14-2012 07:40 AM

I think the recall was for a hose that attaches to the top of the vac pump -- that was replaced on mine.

HerbP 11-14-2012 09:18 AM

Parts of the brake vacuum system were on recall. If the brake booster had gotten oil contamination inside of it, BMW would replace the vacuum line, check valve, booster, master cylinder, & flush the brake lines. If no oil was found in the booster, BMW just replaced the vacuum line, & check valve. I do not remember seeing anywhere that the vacuum pump was replaced under warranty. They replaced everything on my car, but the vacuum pump.

As Yorgi stated, the vacuum is fairly cheap. It should only take 20 to 60 minutes to replaced, based on your skills. There are a couple of lines to be removed, & 3 or 4 bolts that hold it on. If you have a good relationship with your SA, maybe they might take care of it under the recall!

Good Luck!

coug60 11-14-2012 12:47 PM

That's right. I already had the recal work done.
This was found yesterday when my car was in for a 4 wheel alignment, oil change, battery cable recall and vehicle inspection.
I think I will give this a go on my own. I have access to all the tools and a auto hobby shop.
I'll make a DIY in about a month or less

HerbP 11-14-2012 02:20 PM

All you will need will be some female torx sockets, & maybe a 10mm socket or wrench. The cheapest place to buy the female torx sockets, will be at Harbor Freight. Buy the larger set for a few bucks more. The vacuum pump is located on the left hand side of the motor, mounted to the front of the head. I see where Yorgi posted the TIS for this job.

This is really an easy job!

Medicus 11-25-2012 12:24 AM

This job is extremely easy and like herbp said 20-60 minutes. It is helpful to have an extra set of hands to pull the lines away when you pull the pump out but this doesn't require an experienced person to help just 2 hands. Make sure that you turn the crank over to align the vacuum pump grove vertical. If everything lines up it will slide in all the way nice and easy just watch the seal and make sure that it doesn't get crushed like my buddy did to mine. Here is a like that will explain everything that you need to do to complete this job.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/45/33

If you could do something for me on your old part after you take it off it would help me out a ton and I would appreciate it. My pump was leaking at the o-ring so I replaced it when I did my timing cover gasket. Now I noticed that it is also leaking from the outside cover on the pump. I can't seem to find it anywhere if I can actually just take that cover off and reseal it with some silicone. Once you take your part off and it is junk to you could you please take that cover off and let me know if it is possible to reseal it or if the whole thing would fall apart. You can see the cover in the second picture. It appears to have 4 maybe 5 bolts to completely pull it off. Thanks for your help.

coug60 11-25-2012 01:31 AM

Thanks HerbP & Medicus...
Will do on the part...
Thinking about doing the job around Xmas time.... Maybe sooner if I get the time.
SA said it wasn't bad and that I should R&R it in the next couple of months...

TopDownInFL 11-25-2012 05:55 AM

Coug, be sure to take pics and post the how-to in the DIY forum.

Take care of that beauty.

MakaveliFaison 11-25-2012 06:25 AM

Just buy the seals from bmp design. Thats what I did for the 7. Mine was leaking bad in the front and where it mounts to upper timing cover. Seals fixed it.

MakaveliFaison 11-25-2012 06:29 AM

It was 17.95 for seal. It comes with two orings. Part no. Is 11 66 7 545 384S brake booster vacuum pump seal kit

coug60 11-25-2012 09:39 AM

Definitely Topdown...
Seams like this is one of our common maintenance tasks..

MakaveliFaison 11-25-2012 02:08 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595235

tampamark 12-14-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakaveliFaison (Post 7212666)
Just buy the seals from bmp design. Thats what I did for the 7. Mine was leaking bad in the front and where it mounts to upper timing cover. Seals fixed it.

Thanks for the advice on buying the rebuild seals for the vacuum pump. Mine is leaking and I ordered the set, I am going to put them in next week.

I saw that it requires a 27mm socket to rotate the crank to align the pump drive using the central bolt, do you happen to know where that is on the 6? Is it the main belt drive pulley at the bottom of the engine? I tried feeling around in there and it didn't seem to have a socket fitting. I haven't bought the 27mm yet so maybe if I did that and tried fitting it I would answer my own question...

MakaveliFaison 12-14-2012 08:51 PM

You dont have to crank it if you have inpa. You can get in inpa and have it turn it to its default position

MakaveliFaison 12-14-2012 08:56 PM

The bolt you are talking about is right in the middle of the vibration damper I believe.

Medicus 12-15-2012 06:13 PM

Thanks for the tip on the seals. Is it possible to take the outside cover off and replace the outer seal without taking the pump off of the car since I just did that? Are there any parts inside that I need to worry about falling out or becoming loose?