Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Re-assurance (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658233)

WickedFast.Inc 11-14-2012 05:44 PM

Re-assurance

First off is it normal that when i put my car in drive it pushes the back end down and in reverse lifts it up i know there is a bit of torque to these cars so i figure checking wouldnt be a bad idea

Second i have an dc to ac converter and hooked to it a small amp i have set up (its properly wired trust me on this) yet when plugged in my cars rpms will sometimes although rare drop to zero and kill my car now its only when plugged in it did it about 5 min ago and i unplugged it my car rolled about 5 feet and the rmps returned to normal. Any thoughts besides the alternator being weak i cant think of why it would cause this but even with a weak alternator i figure it shouldnt shut my car down

Wicked Fast Entertainment

markseven 11-14-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedFast.Inc (Post 7195391)
First off is it normal that when i put my car in drive it pushes the back end down and in reverse lifts it up i know there is a bit of torque to these cars so i figure checking wouldnt be a bad idea

Second i have an dc to ac converter and hooked to it a small amp i have set up (its properly wired trust me on this) yet when plugged in my cars rpms will sometimes although rare drop to zero and kill my car now its only when plugged in it did it about 5 min ago and i unplugged it my car rolled about 5 feet and the rmps returned to normal. Any thoughts besides the alternator being weak i cant think of why it would cause this but even with a weak alternator i figure it shouldnt shut my car down

1. Normal
  2. I would imagine an inverter is too much of a draw on a brand new alternator. The car audio guys can prolly shed light on what sort of alternator is needed.

downhiller 11-14-2012 07:27 PM

what mark said. these only have a 90 amp alternator or at least that was one option when i changed mine out

WickedFast.Inc 11-14-2012 07:28 PM

If in fact it was the inverter would hooking my setup straight to the battery with a remote switch to accomidate on off so not to kill my battery it should stop. So if it does not im looking at a weak alternator ?

WickedFast.Inc 11-14-2012 07:29 PM

How big of an alternator do they make for this car

downhiller 11-14-2012 07:33 PM

question 1 from me, what the hell kinda amp do you have that needs to have a converter? all the ones ive dealt with you run one wire to the negative terminal, and run the positive through a power cap then to the amp.

markseven 11-14-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller (Post 7195615)
question 1 from me, what the hell kinda amp do you have that needs to have a converter? all the ones ive dealt with you run one wire to the negative terminal, and run the positive through a power cap then to the amp.

Marshall?

WickedFast.Inc 11-14-2012 09:29 PM

There is a short story for that when i traded for the car he gave me a headunit for it which i tested (i have pretty good knowledge of electronics)

It was bad so i dont have one
I made a mini stereo you hook up your phone or ipod to the amp the amp powers two speakers an 8 inch sub and 6 inch bose