Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   2012 X5d Pricing Advice (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658271)

jeme 11-14-2012 08:47 PM

2012 X5d Pricing Advice

Looking at a new 2012 X5d to lease, it will be replacing a 2011 VW Touareg TDI.

MSRP is $67,195

Options are, Premium, Sports Activity, premium sound, 20 inch wheels, multi contour seats, running boards and BMW apps.

Invoice is $62,000

I am a USAA member , their site says there is a $2500 incentive and the dealer says it is only $1000? Also have $4500 Eco credit and $1500 BMW Holiday cash

What would be a fair price, my inclination is to start at invoice and subtract the incentives? Then add some fair amount of profit for the dealer? All that said what would be a fair price for this car?

I offered the dealer $54,000 and they thought I was $3000 too low! Any thoughts, comments or coaching here for me? Thank in advance.

ard 11-14-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeme (Post 7195851)

I offered the dealer $54,000 and they thought I was $3000 too low! Any thoughts, comments or coaching here for me? Thank in advance.

Well of course they would say that.

A few comments.... first, the reality is that you cannot make "the deal" at every dealership. To get the best deal you must be willing (able) to try several.

Having said that, IMO you need to establish control over the process. Part of this is to prove to them that you have firm knowledge of the pricing. You do this not by tossing out offers- you do this by saying "I am offering $500 over your invoice, with me keeping all incentives- so this will be $54,126" (or whatever the number is.) But list ever item with ever invoice price, subtract the incentives, etc, etc.

And be prepared to walk.

My negotiation for my 20102 was two phone calls, with the discussion basically "I'm thinking 500 profit"..."we need 2000".." I dont want to waste your time, we are clearly too far apart. I'd consider 1k, but it sounds like that wont work" Hold on a minute...yes, we can do that.. the key is by not discussing the invoice, and focussing on the profit, it told him that the only number he could play with was the profit.

If a sales rep will not engage you in this way- if they are talking monthly payments and being evasive with terms- you know they are playing you.

Finally try to ask them as little as possible- information is power, and when you project the image of not needing to ask them anthing you are saying "I know everything". This is incentives, MFs, fees, etc, etc. You can say "I know the MF is ___, and with 7MSDs it will be ___, need you to confirm that is what you'll offer". As opposed to "I read on a forum the MF is ___, can you do that?"

:)

GL

A

DrT 11-14-2012 11:10 PM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=558456

Above is the link to the 2012 X5 pricing guide posted by Jon S. It should help you in taking control over the buying process. And If your willing to purchase elsewhere, you can give Jon and other site sponsors a shout. Best of luck!

jeme 11-15-2012 12:57 AM

Thank you! I used BWW config to get the price and was looking for help on opinions of what may be a fair price for this vehicle.

Any opinions, thanks.

Marwan 11-15-2012 07:38 AM

I second the advice that you should consider more than one dealer. Your most powerful argument when negotiating the price is being able to say ( and really mean) "No thank you. I have a better offer somewhere else". That sentence can do magic and soften the stance of the most stubborn of GMs. And if you happen to be dealing with one who will not budge no matter what, you walk!

jeme 11-15-2012 09:21 AM

I appreciate everyones help. Yes time to travel is a little short. I agree on your recommendations, ironically Fields owns all the dealers in Orlando and Daytona, which means Ocala or Jacksonville or Tampa. OK thanks!

ard 11-15-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeme (Post 7196634)
I appreciate everyones help. Yes time to travel is a little short. I agree on your recommendations, ironically Fields owns all the dealers in Orlando and Daytona, which means Ocala or Jacksonville or Tampa. OK thanks!

Or call a sponsor outside of Florida, set up a PCD- save on the silly Florida tax, and make a weekend trip out of it to Spartanburg!

ndabunka 11-15-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marwan (Post 7196390)
I second the advice that you should consider more than one dealer. Your most powerful argument when negotiating the price is being able to say ( and really mean) "No thank you. I have a better offer somewhere else". That sentence can do magic and soften the stance of the most stubborn of GMs. And if you happen to be dealing with one who will not budge no matter what, you walk!

Of course you can ALWAYS do this simply by "bluffing" and the dealer won't know the difference. They will ask for the name of who is willing to do that but my typical reply is "It is an out of State BMW dealer" and that usually shuts them up... :rofl:

newbimmerx5 11-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7196674)
Or call a sponsor outside of Florida, set up a PCD- save on the silly Florida tax, and make a weekend trip out of it to Spartanburg!

How can he save tax "Florida"? I think the buyer is taxed based on the location he lives but not based on the location of purchase. so, even if you buy a car from ZERO sales tax state, you still end up paying tax applicable to the state you live.

chyates 11-15-2012 12:47 PM

To get the USAA credit of $2500 you cannot use BMWFS, but you still get the $4500 eco credit. The holiday incentive requires BMWFS so it's either or but it still comes to 7k off.

I ordered a 2012 x5d to spec, and payed 1k over invoice got the 7k discount with 2 incentives/rebate and financed through PenFed at 1.49% which was a little better than the USAA loan at 1.89%.

Marwan 11-15-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7196985)
Of course you can ALWAYS do this simply by "bluffing" and the dealer won't know the difference. They will ask for the name of who is willing to do that but my typical reply is "It is an out of State BMW dealer" and that usually shuts them up... :rofl:

Yes but the dealer might call your bluff and say OK go get the car from that other dealership. If you really don't have another offer, you're then stuck. It's much better to actually have options B, C, etc. and be ready to walk if you don't like option A.

When I leased my first X5d, I showed the GM at the dealership a list of much better offers I got from other dealerships. He actually called one of the dealerships in front of me and put the call on speaker phone. I think he thought I was bluffing and wanted to "teach me a lesson" or something. The look on his face when the other dealership confirmed the much lower offer they had made me, loudly on speaker phone, was priceless!

ndabunka 11-15-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marwan (Post 7197032)
Yes but the dealer might call your bluff and say OK go get the car from that other dealership. If you really don't have another offer, you're then stuck. It's much better to actually have options B, C, etc. and be ready to walk if you don't like option A.

When I leased my first X5d, I showed the GM at the dealership a list of much better offers I got from other dealerships. He actually called one of the dealerships in front of me and put the call on speaker phone. I think he thought I was bluffing and wanted to "teach me a lesson" or something. The look on his face when the other dealership confirmed the much lower offer they had made me, loudly on speaker phone, was priceless!

You then walk out the door. NO dealership wants that to happen. Even if they DO let you out the door, they will still call you later to try and do a deal. Bottom line is if that dealer isn't willing to be competitive (right up front), you can ALWAYS find another dealer that is more 'reasonable'. Dealers on this site will work with you. In some ways, I wish I could have leveraged the dealers on here instead of going through my friends son. In the end it's all working out but the local dealer has actually been more problems than solutions (lost one of the keys, had to pay $140 to have them put All Seasons on the car, they scratched a rim when swapping tires, etc...)