Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   BMW defective replacement vehicle (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658315)

kssod 11-15-2012 07:13 AM

BMW defective replacement vehicle

Anyone have experience with bmwna customer relations regarding replacement for a defective vehicle?

RDZumbaugh 11-15-2012 08:09 AM

Yes - just recently. They approved a "Trade Assist" on my 2013 328 that has a steering wheel vibration. The customer relations person isn't the brightest star in the sky but if you stay on top of them and show you've documented the servicing of your vehicle, they will work with you. I didn't want to order another 328 like some other people ended up doing to find out the new vehicle had the same issue. "Apparently" they've now found the fix. I'm waiting for my 2013 528 to arrive from Germany. What is going on with your defective vehicle?

kssod 11-15-2012 08:18 AM

See
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=655109

On a different note been driving a 328 lux while 535 is serviced. The 535 is certainly bigger, but it is also a huge step above the 3 in luxury and vehicle dynamics, you will love the 528

RDZumbaugh 11-15-2012 08:42 AM

I've had 2 5series previously and after owning a 328 convertible, didn't think I'd need something as large a a 5 series again. Unfortunately, there was the steering wheel vibration issue that I just couldn't deal with. The 328 luxury line is fantastic - large enough and I ordered it EXACTLY the way I wanted it. With the steering wheel issue being a big defect, I didn't want to risk ordering a replacement and it have the same problem. So they offered me a sweet deal on a 528 - I'm happy. However - reading the thread you linked on your reply, has me concerned. Hopefully, they'll figure a quick fix for you. I hope I don't have to deal with any issues on my new 5 series - I'm done dealing with BMW NA with issues and the dealership. I just want to have a car with no issues - is that a hard thing to ask?

kssod 11-15-2012 10:03 AM

So how did you initiate the trade assist? Was it done directly through bmwna customer service, or did you start with the dealer GM?

Decboy 11-15-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kssod (Post 7196711)
So how did you initiate the trade assist? Was it done directly through bmwna customer service, or did you start with the dealer GM?

Two years ago, BMW NA issued a settlement/buyback for our E60. We had a few fuel pump issues. Thumbs up for BMW NA in taking care of their customers. They did ask if we wanted refund of our money or trade up to another BMW but we chose the former.

So to answer your question, it should be initiated with BMW NA customer service. We actually wrote a very nice and concerning letter to BMW NA customer service along with documented service invoices from our BMW dealer. They called us within the week. If you push for the buyback/trade assists, they will escalate the issue to another higher up and that person will be the one to decide. Don't waste your time with the dealership, they won't do anything regarding buybacks/trade assists. Contact BMW NA.

solstice 11-15-2012 04:21 PM

For me it worked very well to do the buyback through the dealer. I made a face to face appointment with the service manager and brought the service history of my F10. He agreed immediately to take my case to the regional BMWNA rep. and two days later the GM & service manager called me with a buyback deal in cash or trade. After thinking about it for a few days and test drive some cars I choose to trade into a new M3.

RDZumbaugh 11-15-2012 05:31 PM

My Trade Assist is sort of a long story - ill try to make it short. It wasn't that easy because my Service Advisor wasn't aware of the F30 steering wheel issue - I sent it in to have the tire balanced 3 weeks after having my car and got a loaner that had the issue worse than mine. When I immediately called the Service Advisor, he didn't know why the loaner was doing it as well and just acted like I was crazy. When I got my car back, it was still doing it and when I called the SA to inform him the car still had the issue, he said they test drove the car and it didn't do it why they had it. He made me out to be crazy. BIMMERFEST saved me - I found other people were complaining of the same issue and returning their cars. I ended up speaking to the Service Manager and they did a hard road balance and opened a "puma" report for BMW. I then found out that BMW has known about the complaint and was looking for a fix. I was furious that they knew of the "potential" problem on the F30 and didn't test my car for the issue prior to selling it to me. If they had, they would have discovered it and been able to warn me of IT - trust me, I would have kept my 09 328 convertible if I'd been told. I called BMWNA to put in a formal complaint and a few days later was called about it. It took three conversations with the BMWNA Rep to get a Trade Assist approved and was told I'd have to contact my dealer about it. I didn't trust ordering another 328, since a few people had gone through two of them with the same issue. So they approved a Trade Assist on a 2013 528 that I ordered with the same options I ordered on my 328, for almost the same cost. They did end up taking care of me but I was frustrated after it was said and done. Now I'm waiting for a ship to carry my 528 to the US. I appreciate that they made it right in the end but this really put a bad taste in my mouth in the beginning. I wish my Trade Assist was as easy as some others have mentioned. I'll be really happy when I get my new car in about 4 weeks.

grandpawmoses 11-16-2012 05:28 AM

I almost bought a used 2012 535i with 7000 miles. The price was right & it was the right color & equipment. On the test drive I noticed a slight hesitation on acceleration coming out of a curve. The salesman said it was the turbo "spooling" up & was normal. He also showed me a clean Carfax with absolutely no issues. I'm about to sign the papers & the sales manager has to disclose to me that it was a "Trade Assist" vehicle (he pointed out that this is totally different from a dealer buy back but I still don't the difference). Anyway, to make a short story long, the paperwork showed that the vehicle had been in the shop at least once every 1000 miles for the same unsolved hesitation issue. I would not buy the car.
The moral to this is that it was all done "in-house" and absolutely none of this was shows up on Carfax.
David

Needsdecaf 11-16-2012 05:41 AM

Trade Assist is, indeed, below the radar. It will not show up on title. It only will if it goes through the legal channels of lemon law.

The X Men 11-16-2012 06:34 AM

It sure is a bit concerning reading about all these BMW lemon cases, I know every car companies have their share of lemons, but it sure seems like the German car companies have more than their share. This remind me of my last visit to my BMW dealer, I was behind this white 6 series in the service bay, the gentleman who own the car was complaining about his 6 series burning oil. I over heard him said the car was only 2 months old and has only 2000 miles. He then show the SA the tail pipe area and the rear bumper cover which was partial black from all the soot. He was not a very happy camper and he was also asking about the buyback procedure.