Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New guy! Need some opinions (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658335)

Danmalik16 11-15-2012 08:58 AM

New guy! Need some opinions

Hello everyone!
Sold my 2002 BMW 330ci the other day :( the miles were getting a little to high. Anyways I picked up an 06 BMW 325i with only 48k miles black on tan! So far I love the car. I got a GMG tow hook license plate mount and a few other goodies. I also changed my rims from the ugly 16" to some 2010 18" 5 series sport rims(forgot the style #) but now it's time I dropped the car! Any recommendations? Springs or coilovers? Anyone know any good brands with good review? Anyone selling used springs or coilovers?

pointandgo 11-15-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmalik16 (Post 7196577)
Hello everyone!
Sold my 2002 BMW 330ci the other day :( the miles were getting a little to high. Anyways I picked up an 06 BMW 325i with only 48k miles black on tan! So far I love the car. I got a GMG tow hook license plate mount and a few other goodies. I also changed my rims from the ugly 16" to some 2010 18" 5 series sport rims(forgot the style #) but now it's time I dropped the car! Any recommendations? Springs or coilovers? Anyone know any good brands with good review? Anyone selling used springs or coilovers?

Welcome to the forum, Dan...

Just out of curiosity...are you aware that "dropping" the suspension will increase your negative camber and considerably increase the wear on the inside of your new and more expensive 18" tires? Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this. "Car boys" went through tires like crazy due to suspension drops...cost them a FORTUNE.

There are always consequences to "lookin good." Maybe you've got plenty of cash? :dunno:

Danmalik16 11-15-2012 06:34 PM

Yes I'm aware of all that. I simply want something that would close up the wheel gap a little, not trying to go for the "slammed" look

CALWATERBOY 11-15-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmalik16 (Post 7196577)
Hello everyone!

You're already low! T'look lower, score camber plates; adj front to -2.5

You'll have very, very capable handling while sitting comfortably. Don't be apprehensive....you'll still have all of the tire wear available to slammed rides, but without the goin'-over-train-tracks ride.

pointandgo 11-15-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmalik16 (Post 7197593)
Yes I'm aware of all that. I simply want something that would close up the wheel gap a little, not trying to go for the "slammed" look

How low dude? I went 3/4 - 1.0"" down (Eibach springs) on my E46 and went through tires like crazy due to inside shoulder wear! Anything less than that wouldn't have "looked" much different. Negative camber increased enough to destroy my tires on the inside shoulders.

I was also using the car for daily commuting.

I wasn't exactly extremely "slammed," but did close up the gap. Of course I had a tire sponsor at the time and didn't go broke replacing tires with "inside shoulder wear." I also tracked the car a lot. You have a tire sponsor?

Danmalik16 11-15-2012 09:24 PM

Thanks for the tips but I am aware of all the effects that come with lowering a car. I had an e46 lowered on D2 racing coilovers from the previous owner I bought it from. She was my daily driver and camber wear wasnt as bad as some other cars I've seen before.