Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Dinan LSD for F10 550 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658353)

tjangi 11-15-2012 11:21 AM

Dinan LSD for F10 550

Jsut got this installed. Cant wait to test it later today :banana:

dunderhi 11-15-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjangi (Post 7196750)
Jsut got this installed. Cant wait to test it later today :banana:

Wow! You must be on their first call list - I haven't even heard they were working on a LSD. Congrats!

Silververtu 11-15-2012 01:14 PM

Congrats! the LSD is not even shown on the website. Any pics of it?

alextremo 11-15-2012 02:42 PM

Nice, was wondering when we would see this come out.

tjangi 11-16-2012 12:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So first impression, the response time between pressing the gas pedal and power to the wheels is so much faster. Actually, Dinan recommended this LSD for RWD 550 to handel the additional power from the mods (stage 4) There is way too much power for standard differential=wheels slippage and then power reduction from traction control under WOT especially in corners. Not an issue with the Xi models. The LSD ensures that all that power gets put to the ground.

wdimagineer 11-16-2012 04:06 PM

Very nice. Their intake is next to be released. I've seen it up close recently. How it integrates with the braces in the engine compartment is beautiful.

getz 11-16-2012 04:47 PM

I am very interested in the CAI, specifically if it provides real world gains. I debated the other modifications past the Stage 2 flash but they seem to have fairly minimal returns for the extra dollar (although the exhause does certainly sound better than stock).

alextremo 11-16-2012 06:07 PM

Any idea when they will have it up on the website with details (pricing)?

P-TownM3 11-16-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdimagineer (Post 7198938)
Very nice. Their intake is next to be released. I've seen it up close recently. How it integrates with the braces in the engine compartment is beautiful.

I will be very interested in the intake. Is Joe planning on putting it on his beast? Would love to check it out up close.

joseyu 11-17-2012 10:19 PM

Is this a RWD only mod or will it work with xDrive? How much was the parts & labor? Thanks!

P-TownM3 11-19-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joseyu (Post 7200817)
Is this a RWD only mod or will it work with xDrive? How much was the parts & labor? Thanks!

This is RWD only.

tjangi 11-20-2012 12:11 PM

Correct RWD drive only. Parts about USD 3 k after the 15% Dinan disc. about 4.1 hrs labor

dunderhi 11-21-2012 10:20 PM

The LSD is up on the Dinan site: Dinan F10 Limited Slip Differential

tjiangi,

You made no mention of the core exchange. Hopefully you are aware of this cost savings.

joseyu 11-21-2012 11:23 PM

The website also says that it is xDrive compatible. I wonder if that is a mistake?

dunderhi 11-22-2012 08:11 AM

It would need a 3.08 ratio to be compatible, but unless one plans to use a 550xi for snow-track racing, it has more than enough traction.

Stealth.Pilot 11-22-2012 09:52 AM

This is a key component. I think BMW should have had one of these as standard to have the 550i be competitive with the S6.

solstice 11-22-2012 02:40 PM

I've said this before, the LSD M-differential is maybe the most surprising part of the M3. Much has been written about the engine, handling, steering etc and you expect them to be phenomenal but the differential isn't as sexy to write long stories about so for me it was the one thing that took me by surprise and totally blew me away. It makes the M3 the perfect Seattle driver's car. The wet weather performance is simply superb much due to the LSD. Great upgrade tjangi!

tjangi 11-22-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

You made no mention of the core exchange. Hopefully you are aware of this cost savings.
That is correct, thank you for pointing it out.

mammelon 11-22-2012 06:15 PM

Core exchange

Would you please explain what is a core exchange. I know that the fly wheel on the stock diff is welded, how can the dinan lsd be bolted in if the stock diff is welded in. If there is a solution to this I will spring for the dinan lsd. In the past I had changed out the stock diff on my 335i, but that was bolted on and the change was easily done and well worth it in performance. BMW is now welding their stock diff to stop this trend. Hope to hear your response. Thanks....

Needsdecaf 11-22-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammelon (Post 7209410)
Would you please explain what is a core exchange. I know that the fly wheel on the stock diff is welded, how can the dinan lsd be bolted in if the stock diff is welded in. If there is a solution to this I will spring for the dinan lsd. In the past I had changed out the stock diff on my 335i, but that was bolted on and the change was easily done and well worth it in performance. BMW is now welding their stock diff to stop this trend. Hope to hear your response. Thanks....

Welding on a diff? That doesn't sound right....

And there is no flywheel on a diff....

Here is the stock diff. Clearly shows two bolts.

mammelon 11-23-2012 05:28 PM

The picture of the stock diff is the pumpkin, within it is the differential. The differential is welded by BMW into the pumpkin and not bolted on... In order to remove the stock differential one has to open the pumpkin and cut out the stock differential from within and that is a difficult task. It used to be that BMW bolted on their differential into the pumpkin and it could be easily removed and replaced. So can anyone please let me know what is a core exchange... Thanks...

tjangi 11-25-2012 09:36 AM

I checked with my Dinan rep:
Quote:

When DINAN or a DINAN authorized dealer performs a core exchange, the customer gives the stock differential back to DINAN in exchange for a more expensive one. The customer does have the option of keeping the differential if he/she needs it for some reason but they will not get the credit for that piece. The difference between the stock differential and a DINAN modified one can be in the ratio, the type of mechanics in the differential or both. In the case of a F10 550i the ratio of the new and stock differential is the same (2.81) but the mechanics are different. DINAN uses core returned shells to manufacture differentials with viscus clutch and Torsen mechanics inside. This results in much better traction compared to BMWs open differential that comes in the car. I have driven both differentials on the F10 550i and have noticed a huge difference. Before the differential was installed I could spin the tires just by throttle modulation at low speeds and now the car has much better holding power resulting in improved 0-60, 1/4 mile ect... The bottom line is doing a core return is not hard and is usually handled by your installer, they will be responsible for ordering the new differential, installing it and sending back the old one.
I also checked with the DINAN technician who installed the LSD. There was no welding involved, they take your actual differential and put a limited slip in it.

I hope this helps.

Dblock2151 11-25-2012 03:17 PM

Dinan's site seems to be down..

Do they mention how much would be credited for the core exchange? If it's not much, I'd rather keep it in case I ever sell my car down the road and resell the LSD.

dunderhi 11-25-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dblock2151 (Post 7213488)
Dinan's site seems to be down..

Do they mention how much would be credited for the core exchange? If it's not much, I'd rather keep it in case I ever sell my car down the road and resell the LSD.

Two grand.

mammelon 11-25-2012 04:35 PM

THANK YOU. Yes it did... Would you please share what the cost of install was as well as the diff price that you paid. Again.. Thank you for your help...