Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   $250 BMW apps option? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658360)

grandpawmoses 11-15-2012 10:57 AM

$250 BMW apps option?

I'm looking for an education here. I didn't get it searching old posts so here goes.
What does BMW apps do if I don't have an Iphone?
If I had an Iphone, what would it do? I seriously ask because my android phone contract is ending soon & if it's worth it, I might switch.
Thanks
David

Technic 11-15-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses (Post 7196822)
I'm looking for an education here. I didn't get it searching old posts so here goes.
What does BMW apps do if I don't have an Iphone?
If I had an Iphone, what would it do? I seriously ask because my android phone contract is ending soon & if it's worth it, I might switch.
Thanks
David

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...rive.aspx#apps

No iPhone = no BMW Apps (for now).

jjsC6 11-15-2012 01:51 PM

You might want to do some studying to be sure the newest version of the I-Phone work with it. I don't have an I-Phone, but the car I bought does have it. I may consider an I-Phone next summer, but I'll want to know more myself.

Ilan 11-15-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsC6 (Post 7197138)
You might want to do some studying to be sure the newest version of the I-Phone work with it. I don't have an I-Phone, but the car I bought does have it. I may consider an I-Phone next summer, but I'll want to know more myself.

it does work with iPhone 5 (latest version).

miotoo 11-15-2012 03:54 PM

Apps work with iphone 5 via the white usb cable.

There is no cradle for iphone 5 yet..

jjsC6 11-15-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilan (Post 7197239)
it does work with iPhone 5 (latest version).

Quote:

Originally Posted by miotoo (Post 7197317)
Apps work with iphone 5 via the white usb cable.

There is no cradle for iphone 5 yet..

Good to know. Thanks!

Decboy 11-15-2012 06:42 PM

I don't really use Facebook that often or other apps often enough for me to get the status updates while driving. I have an iPhone and BMW Apps, haven't set it up yet. Also, I don't like taking out my phone every time I get in the car to have to plug it in. You need to plug it in the car for BMW apps to work. I love comfort access in how I now keep my keys in my pocket. Same for my phone. I travel light.

grandpawmoses 11-16-2012 05:05 AM

Thanks for the input guys. That's what I thought it was. Just for that, it seems like a pricy option. Makes you wonder why every new BMW on the dealers lot has it. (BMW wouldn't scam us would they?)
I-Drive looks like an Apple written app anyway. (I-Drive, IPhone, hummmmm?)
David

miotoo 11-16-2012 05:41 AM

Agree with the Facebook/social media stuff, however the Lastmile is quiet cool and useful in foreign cities where you leave your car and walk a lot. Always know where you left it...

grandpawmoses 11-16-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miotoo (Post 7198069)
Agree with the Facebook/social media stuff, however the Lastmile is quiet cool and useful in foreign cities where you leave your car and walk a lot. Always know where you left it...

Agreed, but there are free phone apps like "Where's my Car?" that, if I activate it upon leaving my car, it will do the same.
David

miotoo 11-16-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses (Post 7198081)
Agreed, but there are free phone apps like "Where's my Car?" that, if I activate it upon leaving my car, it will do the same.
David

True. There are many ways for achieving similar results. Some are free. Integration is an optional matter and usually has a premium.

On a side comment to the topic, my 99$ handheld GPS with free lifetime map updates beats the iDrive built-in Becker solution in functionality & content hands down. But I still prefer to use the solution integrated with the car.

ckreling 11-17-2012 11:47 AM

iPad also works

If you plug in your iPad it works using the white cable. All features that the iPhone had.

I currently get FaceBook, Twitter, Web Radio, Pandora, Local Search, etc working with my iPad 2 on IOS 6.

It is pretty cool - I love the web radio part.

Charles

ChrisF01 11-17-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decboy (Post 7197611)
I don't really use Facebook that often or other apps often enough for me to get the status updates while driving. I have an iPhone and BMW Apps, haven't set it up yet. Also, I don't like taking out my phone every time I get in the car to have to plug it in. You need to plug it in the car for BMW apps to work. I love comfort access in how I now keep my keys in my pocket. Same for my phone. I travel light.

Bingo.

I listen to music over BT 99% of the time, so keys and phone stay in the pocket.

It's just a bitch because if I need to charge it via USB cable, it automatically unchecks Bluetooth audio. So next time I get in the car it takes me a second to realize its not working because I plugged it in :banghead: Then I gotta go back through the menus and turn Bluetooth audio on grr! Guess I should just get a cigarette lighter USB plug.

Jerry613 11-18-2012 06:31 PM

Use the USB charger in the glove box and it will not change your bluetooth settings and still charge your phone.

spyerx 11-18-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry613 (Post 7202133)
Use the USB charger in the glove box and it will not change your bluetooth settings and still charge your phone.

I thought I had an issue. Odd that you can't have the iphone connect via USB + Bluetooth. I don't have BMW Apps and I noticed quirky behavior playing pandora on the iPhone via USB. it works fine over BT.

This is what I'm doing now. I had a 160gb ipod in a drawer, not being used, that I loaded with my music library. It lives in the center console connected to the USB port.

My iphone is plugged into a USB charger in the center console. I have it setup for Bluetooth music/phone.

This way I can use Sirius, iPod music, or BT Pandora or whatever from the phone. I put some music on the built-in drive but its only 20gb, so just going to delete it. Not worth using since I have the iPod.