Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   RWD - Do I need snow tires at all? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658418)

sr5959 11-15-2012 03:36 PM

RWD - Do I need snow tires at all?

Hi everyone. I have RWD 328i, and my question is this:

I live in Seattle where we get about 7-10 days a year with light snow, sometimes a little ice. Do you think I will need snow tires or can the RWD with All-Seasons handle this small amount of snow?

I've lived here many years but always had AWD SUVs before so I am not sure.

Thanks!

jatbeni 11-15-2012 03:48 PM

Think you should be OK with All Seasons... but if you want to take a trip to Mt. Rainier, it could be a struggle. Here in Chicago (where we have much worse conditions in winter), I have seen RWD cars struggle to go up a parking lot ramp in heavy snow... but I have been able to do OK in those conditions.

As long as you are aware of the limitations, and drive carefully, during those days, you should be able to avoid the expense.

khovik 11-15-2012 04:22 PM

All seasons works fine for Seattle weather. I drive my 335 using summer performance all year long. On the handful of snowy days we have, I use my other car with all seasons instead. No issues so far, and don't expect any. During the winter season, I use the BMW in the eastside/Seattle area only. Would not recommend RWD on summer/all season going over Snoqualmie or any of the other passes winter time.

sean10mm 11-15-2012 05:25 PM

All seasons on a RWD car are pure trash on even light snow. I've tried it, it's terrible, don't do it.

boltjaM3s 11-15-2012 06:05 PM

Yes.

You must get snow tires.

BJ

r0gue 11-15-2012 06:15 PM

It only takes one day,... one drive, one mishap, to make you wish you'd have set up a proper tire set for the winter.

dunderhi 11-15-2012 06:53 PM

Sounds like all-season tires would be fine for your conditions, but beware not all all-season have the same level of snow traction and worn-out tires don't have any snow traction period. Continental ExtremeContact DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are my favorites all-season tires to handle the white stuff. Check out your tires at Tirerack.com to see how they rate and decide from there.

Lavalamp425 11-15-2012 07:08 PM

It depends on your living and driving situation. If, for example, you live on a hill and don't have another car to drive, you should get snow tires. If you don't have to drive or don't live on top of one of our many hills, all-seasons are fine. Keep in mind that with the type of snow we get here (wet and heavy snow falling in near-freezing conditions, so it turns to ice fast), a car with all-seasons and RWD will almost certainly not be able to get up any but the smallest/shortest of inclines if there is snow on the ground.

I live on Capitol Hill, go skiing, and don't have another car available, so I have snow tires.

Chris90 11-16-2012 05:07 AM

Depends on the all season tires. Many are useless on snow.

sr5959 11-16-2012 10:15 AM

Thank you all for advice. I think I am going to get the snow tires as I don't want to be restricted when I can use the car or not. Plus, I am on a 3 year/45k lease, so I think this way I might be able to return the car with the original tires on it if I use the winter tires for about 12 months of the 3 year lease.

Specced up some Blizzak WS70s with moda EB1 wheels on Tire Rack, also will go up to 18s as the 17s on my base model are too small for this car. :thumbup:

The X Men 11-16-2012 11:08 AM

good move sr5959, RWD in the snow pretty much requires snow tires.