Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   tires (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658419)

versha 11-15-2012 04:48 PM

tires

looking to replace my m s goodyear tires eagles. any suggestions would be appreciated.

versha.

turnbowm 11-16-2012 09:25 AM

Recently replaced the OEM tires (Goodyear Eagle RS-A) on my '05 530i with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position and I'm VERY happy with the change. As expected, the higher load & speed rating (98W vs 94V) resulting in a firmer ride with more awareness of road imperfections (potholes, etc.), but the improved handling & steering response was a worthwhile tradeoff. Very low tread noise was an added plus.

Be sure and checkout Tirerack.com. It's an excellent source of info on tire test results & reviews.

DBU 11-16-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbowm (Post 7198303)
Recently replaced the OEM tires (Goodyear Eagle RS-A) on my '05 530i with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position and I'm VERY happy with the change. As expected, the higher load & speed rating (98W vs 94V) resulting in a firmer ride with more awareness of road imperfections (potholes, etc.), but the improved handling & steering response was a worthwhile tradeoff. Very low tread noise was an added plus.

Be sure and checkout Tirerack.com. It's an excellent source of info on tire test results & reviews.

Looks like you are a few months ahead of me - thinking about copying what you just did. Did you change the tire size or stay with 225/50R17?

How many miles did the Goodyears give you? Mine just turned 60K and still OK. I rotated them exactly ONCE (front/back without changing sides).

Apologies to OP if you feel I hi-jacked your post. But I figured we both could learn more from this.

bmwblack55 11-16-2012 11:32 AM

My conti extremecontact is about to be replaced thinking about dunlop sport sp signature or should i go michelin

jk3007 11-16-2012 01:21 PM

Replacement tires

I replaced mine with Michelin Pilot Sport twice..Can't beat the ride quality..I'm on my second set and just got 18k out of my last 2 rears. 545i 2004. They stick to the road very well.

Gahngoo 11-16-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbowm (Post 7198303)

I bought the pole position tires also. I have about 10k miles so far on them. I have a 530i sport with 18s. Nice ride, good wear, great traction and priced right. I drive hard through turns, and they stick well. I have to admit that a majority of my miles are highway, but they have worn very little. I got the set installed and out the door for around $1000 at discount tire. Hope that helps..

turnbowm 11-16-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBU (Post 7198382)
Looks like you are a few months ahead of me - thinking about copying what you just did. Did you change the tire size or stay with 225/50R17?

How many miles did the Goodyears give you? Mine just turned 60K and still OK. I rotated them exactly ONCE (front/back without changing sides).

Apologies to OP if you feel I hi-jacked your post. But I figured we both could learn more from this.

I stuck with the stock 225/50R17 size because I didn't want to deal with speedo/odometer errors associated with a different size. The original Eagle RS-A tires were down to the wear bar on the rear at 58,000 miles.and, with rainy season approaching, didn't want to take a chance on hydroplaning.

I've been a Michelin guy for many years, but this Bridgestone tire is VERY impressive. I can understand why it was rated #1 in the Tirerack survey (Ultra High Performance AS). Bridgestone's "Buy & Try" guarantee made this a No-Risk decision!

Akshun 11-16-2012 07:01 PM

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position...3 words.... Best tires ever...I love them.

Ralph III 11-16-2012 11:07 PM

I had to replace our Pirelli's this past summer and after researching (price/performance) went with a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZ. They are a very affordable "W" rated all season/performance tire that gets quite high reviews.

The Uniroyals ride better/quiter than the Pirelli's did. The Pirelli's seemed a little tighter in corners but only marginally. The Pirelli's were also excellent at treading water but the Tiger Paws seem equal in that regard, which was a major consideration. The Uniroyal GTZ's have proven to be a excellent investment thus far.

Good luck,
Ralph

Munich77 11-17-2012 06:34 AM

I would look at Conti Extreme Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus or Bridgestone Potenzas. I have the Pilot Sports and love them but would probably look at the Potenzas.

UltimateDriving 11-17-2012 10:29 AM

Just to share a story.
It's been like 4 months since i last checked the tires pressure so yesterday while i was washing the car i noticed one tire just a bit under inflated so i decided to check all 4 tires pressure, all of them were around 25PSI so i decided to make a stop the next day in a gas station and fill them properly.
Now the thing is that i was not expecting a huge difference but after i was done filling the tires i drove away and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE the car felt like a different machine, seriously!

I filled the front tires with 31PSI and the rear tires with 34PSI. (Followed BMW recommendations)

Frenchyrider267 11-17-2012 12:14 PM

Nexen N3000 are amazing for a great price!! I've also had the Dunlop Direzza DZ101's also amazing.

TannerT 11-17-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchyrider267 (Post 7199995)
Nexen N3000 are amazing for a great price!! I've also had the Dunlop Direzza DZ101's also amazing.

I run N3000s for the price you cannot beat them.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

Frenchyrider267 11-17-2012 01:03 PM

This is actually the SECOND car I have owned were I wrapped them with N3000's. Wet or dry they hug the road rather well for the price. I was actually skeptical at first, made the leap, tried them, and loved them.

versha 11-17-2012 03:04 PM

Thanks very much for your input, great help.

Versha

Konst 11-18-2012 05:46 PM

I also plan to replace my Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. I am thinking of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position or Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season. Has anybody had any experience with Pirelli Zero Nero?

BrianMW 11-19-2012 08:30 AM

I just replaced my Contis with N3000s and was expecting a drop in performance.....there was none. For the price, you're not going to find a better tire, IMO.

bschmidt25 11-20-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konst (Post 7201968)
Has anybody had any experience with Pirelli Zero Nero?

I had them on an Audi A4 Quattro. I wouldn't recommend them if you're going to be using them in the snow. Scary... They were good in the rain though. One problem I had is that they got very noisy with age. I'm running Conti Extreme Contact DWSs now on both my Audi and my E39 and they're pretty damn good in the snow and rain. I have about 15K miles on them in the E39 and they're still very quiet. I would highly recommend them if you're looking for a good and relatively inexpensive A/S tire.

Frenchyrider267 11-20-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bschmidt25 (Post 7205783)
I had them on an Audi A4 Quattro. I wouldn't recommend them if you're going to be using them in the snow. Scary... They were good in the rain though. One problem I had is that they got very noisy with age. I'm running Conti Extreme Contact DWSs now on both my Audi and my E39 and they're pretty damn good in the snow and rain. I have about 15K miles on them in the E39 and they're still very quiet. I would highly recommend them if you're looking for a good and relatively inexpensive A/S tire.

I agree with you though on the noise. :rolleyes: They do tend to have a little more noise...

H F 11-24-2012 03:21 PM

I have a 05 545 went with Ventus V12 EVO .. really happy with the price, 800.00 and change at Americas tire.

audiophool 11-24-2012 03:40 PM

With any question about tire preferences, you'll get as many opinions as there are people to respond.

Mine? Nokian WRG2 - especially if you encounter snow from time to time. Truly an all season tire. Expensive perhaps, but what value do you place on your life?

Gurud 11-27-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konst (Post 7201968)
I also plan to replace my Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. I am thinking of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position or Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season. Has anybody had any experience with Pirelli Zero Nero?

I just got a set of Potenza RE970AS installed for approx $800 at Firestone. Very happy with them so far. Much much better than the RS-A in wet or snow.

Konst 12-03-2012 12:33 PM

Potenza RE970AS

Thank you for suggestions. I also got Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS.

rdorman 12-03-2012 01:08 PM

Probably the Potenza or the DWS http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=165

I have the p-zero neros and really like them though. I came down to pilot sport a/s, dws and nero's for me (the potenza 970 is not available for my car). The Pirelli one simply because they where the best deal.

Here is another test with some of the front runners in this category: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=147