Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   My car keeps Chocking. (please read) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658456)

MikesE39 11-15-2012 06:55 PM

My car keeps Chocking. (please read)

Ok i posted this last week didnt get much help, sorry to make a new post about the same thing. maybe more people will see it this time, a week ago i started the car and it was chocking or sputtering kinda like when a lawn mower is about to run out of gas it just keeps chocking, it does it heavy at cold start and when i realy hit the gas it sputters through it. my dad who is a former mechanic bought a fuel filter and spark plugs for the car( not installed yet) and im going to replace those but i want to get an idea of whats going on first. The other day i got gas at chevron (93) and drove home 25 miles, as i got off the highway the car started shaking and chocking hard like it was about to die and SES light came on. i turned it off and waited a min and then started it again and ran fine with out a SES light. so now idk what to do because its been getting worse every day. the only way to describe it is like when you hit the choke on a pressure washer it begins to shake and cut off like it is about to die but does not. going to go get the codes checked out tomorrow.

Tiko530 11-15-2012 06:59 PM

Not very knowledgeable on this but my first guess from your description would be a possible fuel pump or fuel filter failure.

MikesE39 11-15-2012 07:02 PM

So do you think its a fuel related issue?

bkgreene39 11-15-2012 07:08 PM

Since you had a SES light kick on, its still stored in memory. Get that code read.

MikesE39 11-15-2012 07:14 PM

ya im going to do that tomorrow. once i get the code will i be able to find what it means online?

edjack 11-15-2012 08:05 PM

I believe your car is choking. Chocking is the act of placing wooden blocks in front of, and behind the wheels.

Did replacing the fuel filter help?

Yes, do report your codes.

JimLev 11-15-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikesE39 (Post 7197690)
ya im going to do that tomorrow. once i get the code will i be able to find what it means online?

You can, or you can post the Pxxxx code here and we'll tell you what it means.
Change your fuel filter and plugs. You already have the parts. Make sure there is no oil in the plug wells, if there is get a new valve cover gasket.

MikesE39 11-15-2012 10:26 PM

^thanks for the info, so the plugs are supposed to be dry when they come out or is it okay to have a little oil on them? and sorry... choking.

bkgreene39 11-16-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikesE39 (Post 7197909)
^thanks for the info, so the plugs are supposed to be dry when they come out or is it okay to have a little oil on them? and sorry... choking.

I had a little oil in one of my spark plugs when I was changing them. Therefore I have a valve cover gasket job in my future. Is it supposed to be dry? Yes that would be preferable, but it is not that big of a deal. As long as it doesn't look like oil pissed onto the spark plugs it should be fine.

BigCo540i 11-16-2012 11:36 AM

Dang, well she may run like crap but at least it looks good.

Youngproexec 11-16-2012 05:37 PM

Check your ignition coils. Last time I had the same symptoms and it was a faulty ignition coil starting the misfire. The car sounded like it was a gas rc car (idk best example I know) and held back tremendously. When I restarted the car it was fine then out of the blue the sputtering again. Make sure you check the ground straps and the coil connectors are fullt connected. I had one loose another time. Its easy to forget especially ifyou were doing work related to that area. Also my idle was rough.

And btw I like the M bumper. Your car came a long way I remember when you first signed up for the fest and made a welcome thread lol

Woodacre tom 11-16-2012 06:06 PM

I'm going with a fuel pump on this one.

MikesE39 11-16-2012 10:12 PM

ok replaced fuel filter and spark plugs today no more chocking during warm driving, but i still gotta see it in cold start becuase thats when it does it strong. And lol thanks bigco540. LOl i remember when my car was rice and had time attack hahhahaha and you guys got on my ass daily.

poolman 11-17-2012 02:37 PM

If it does this mostly when the temp outside is cold--Classic Vanos Seal Symptom--do a search on Vanos Seals