Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   aFe Throttle Body Spacer on a 650i (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658547)

oRIDDLERo 11-16-2012 09:56 AM

aFe Throttle Body Spacer on a 650i

I just had mine delivered just to try it (got it cheap off ebay for $120). I am running an aFe CAI and 3x Res delete + x-pipe with magnaflows.

There are no posts here in the 6-Series forum so i figured I would start one.

The manufacturer claims:

"This Silver Bullet throttle body spacer produced 10 hp and 14 lbs. x ft. of torque by creating turbulence in the air flow at the point just prior entry into the engine. Silver Bullet throttle body spacers are constructed out of durable T-6061 billet aluminum and using a unique serrated/helix entry to create turbulence at the manifold while eliminating the annoying whistle found in other helix only throttle spacers"

Based on the limited info I can find on the aFe and smiler spacers from research... It seems there are mixed review on this. Many people feel they are a total waste on turbo cars, but since we are running a NA v8 i figured i would give it a shot... Even if the only gain I see is a few MPG im ok with that...

It also seems crazy/bold that the manufacturer claims 10 hp and 14 lbs. x ft Tq... with a dyno chart attached... lol That would be a huge gain for such a cheap part. How could they get away with such bold false advertising if untrue?

Anyhow, Im going to install it tomorrow and post my feedback.. Thoughts? Snake oil? Has anyone tried one on a 6?

reytran 11-16-2012 11:41 AM

I did it couple of days ago. The throttle body + CAi. I have magnaflow xpipe and all resonators deleted. To be honest with both aFe CAI and throttle body, It's not a significant improvement that you can feel. My car has exactly same setup with what your planning. It sounds crazily deep when you hit the floor but at cruising speed you won't notice much. I'm searching for a good deal on M6 eisenmann. However, the throttle body, in my opinion create a weird effect when the car down shift. I'm not sure since I'm not car professional, but whenever the automatic down shift, the car feels like someone kick its butt. LOL

greco2000 11-16-2012 11:50 AM

How do you like the AFE CAI? Noticeable gains? How does it sound, noticeable? That was going to be my next mod, after I install my exhaust

oRIDDLERo 11-16-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reytran (Post 7198624)
I did it couple of days ago. The throttle body + CAi. I have magnaflow xpipe and all resonators deleted. To be honest with both aFe CAI and throttle body, It's not a significant improvement that you can feel. My car has exactly same setup with what your planning. It sounds crazily deep when you hit the floor but at cruising speed you won't notice much. I'm searching for a good deal on M6 eisenmann. However, the throttle body, in my opinion create a weird effect when the car down shift. I'm not sure since I'm not car professional, but whenever the automatic down shift, the car feels like someone kick its butt. LOL

Hmm... I guess I'll just install it and see what happens :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco2000 (Post 7198641)
How do you like the AFE CAI? Noticeable gains? How does it sound, noticeable? That was going to be my next mod, after I install my exhaust

Definitely a sound and throttle response improvement over stock even with stock exhaust.

albertoxikitin 11-16-2012 02:35 PM

Waiting for the pics....

reytran 11-16-2012 02:53 PM

This is mine setup with throttle body undercover.
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/2087/afex.jpg

mjposner 11-17-2012 05:08 AM

I had the same setup from Dinan on my M Roadster, plus stage 2 software. Really did not feel that much different or at all. You should at least consider software tuned to the changes to help the ecu know what happened.

reytran 12-18-2012 10:24 AM

Still waiting for Riddler feedback.

oRIDDLERo 12-18-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reytran (Post 7257513)
Still waiting for Riddler feedback.

Feedback = I think it did something =]

I'm going to leave it on. If anything, I have noticed a slight gas savings.

Brandovibe 05-02-2014 07:11 PM

Where does it go, right before the intake on the engine, or further down the air intake track?

Brandovibe 05-02-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reytran (Post 7198919)
This is mine setup with throttle body undercover.
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/2087/afex.jpg

You mean under the bmw engine cover right? now all the way down by the air filter, is that right?

reytran 05-02-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandovibe (Post 8316241)
You mean under the bmw engine cover right? now all the way down by the air filter, is that right?

Yes. It's less than 10 minutes installation. But I remove mine since there is no significant hp increase but only throttle lag.

Brandovibe 05-02-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reytran (Post 8316244)
Yes. It's less than 10 minutes installation. But I remove mine since there is no significant hp increase but only throttle lag.

what do you mean by lag...hit the gas and wait for power?

reytran 05-02-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandovibe (Post 8316251)
what do you mean by lag...hit the gas and wait for power?

Yup. 0.5-1s delay. LOL.

Brandovibe 05-02-2014 07:25 PM

that sucks! they advertise 10hp gain...what a scam.....
Wait, is there a power gain after that lag is over? haha:rolleyes:

coug60 05-02-2014 11:42 PM

The only fuel vaporizers that Ive seen that do any good are the spacers that bolt between the throttle-body and the intake manifold.
The high end ones do work. You get more mpg then anything else.
The other ones go between the filter and the throttle-body. Ive tried them before. I found that all they really do is restrict the airflow in the tube....

Brandovibe 05-03-2014 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coug60 (Post 8316641)
The only fuel vaporizers that Ive seen that do any good are the spacers that bolt between the throttle-body and the intake manifold.
The high end ones do work. You get more mpg then anything else.
The other ones go between the filter and the throttle-body. Ive tried them before. I found that all they really do is restrict the airflow in the tube....

Let me ask a silly question. It seems like such a simple and overall inexpensive solution. For a manufacturer that is always on the quest for better fuel mileage, you would think that they would have this built into the design from the factory if it did anything beneficial? I don't know, just seems like snake oil to me. Of course I base this on no personal experience whatsoever. :dunno:

BEBosworth 05-03-2014 04:33 AM

Ideally, if you could either chill (artificially make the inlet air denser), or tune the airflow pattern (get the absolute highest flow) going into the engine, there are gains to be had. Problem is doing that without adding a lot of weight in the space allowed. Obviously you can't put a refrigerator under the hood to run air through. Turbo cars can do this a bit easier because there is a negative pressure before the inlet side of the turbo (it sucks the air in) so it's not that big a deal to run this through an intercooler. Normally aspirated engines are a bit more difficult. Try to run it through an intercooler and you'll choke the engine The idea is to get as many air molecules into the engine as possible. However, do the wrong thing and you could easily spoil the flow with a pressure gradient inside the inlet. The spacers are supposed to work a bit like the dimples on a golf ball in that they effect the air flow against the walls of the inlet or force the air to flow in an optimized higher density pattern. With that said, I have no idea if they work and at what RPM range they would work. It's a really dynamic environment. It may work fine up to 4000 rpm than create a stall situation. :dunno:

bigscore 05-03-2014 08:14 AM

I never brought in to the whole "throttle body" mod...:dunno:

coug60 05-03-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandovibe (Post 8316747)
Let me ask a silly question. It seems like such a simple and overall inexpensive solution. For a manufacturer that is always on the quest for better fuel mileage, you would think that they would have this built into the design from the factory if it did anything beneficial? I don't know, just seems like snake oil to me. Of course I base this on no personal experience whatsoever. :dunno:

There are a lot of after market items that work on automobiles for performance and mpg that apparently the auto manufactures don't incorporate into there designs. Why I have no idea other then money, EPA stuff or no significant benefit to the design.
That being said and Ive said this several times on the board. Anything YOU can do in YOUR GARAGE in an hour or so to your car will more then likely make your car more efficient and MAYBE a couple of HP gains if it does anything at all. A 10 hp gain is HUGE and im sorry i just don't believe you can get that from an hour in the garage. I know it.....

When it comes to air flow, the things you are looking for are volume, the most direct route to the cylinder (no turns and bends) and temperature.
My experiences comes from American muscle cars. Drag racers will Ice there engines. Literally covering the engine in ice cubes before a race. There intake manifolds have a direct path right to the cylinder and have ram air or blower for volume.

Spacers that bolt between the throttle body and the intake manifold basically just give the fuel a little more distance (some have little ribs in them to excite the air flow) to travel thus vaporizing it more.

Spacers, cold air intake, ram air mod, larger throttle body's, anything you can do in your garage will have a accumulative affect and you will have a more efficient car with better mpg and a FEW more hp's. After that the next least invasive to the wallet and garage before diving into the engine would be a tuned exhaust system. That will get some improvement on performance