Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   535 M-Sport, One year later... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658619)

alex_c 11-16-2012 05:13 PM

535 M-Sport, One year later...

After more than one year and nearly 16,000 miles later, I thought it was time for an update on my impressions on my 2012 535 M-Sport.

As a nearly-compulsive vehicle buyer, I normally tend to keep my vehicles for only one year before I feel the itch to change it for something else. That has been the case on most of my cars, with some very few exceptions in the past. And believe me, after 23 vehicles in the last 20 years, there have been very little exceptions...

Having said that, I am amazed that after nearly 13 months I am still fully in love with my 535!

The elegant but sporty interior, and the head-turning M-Sport exterior, dressed in Carbon Black still makes me do a double take every time I park my car.

With a daily commute of over one hour each way, I have come to appreciate the peaceful and relaxing interior, with a fantastic sound system (premium sound) while playing music from my iPhone or using Pandora. The quick and almost effortless acceleration, and the ability to completely change the demeanor of the car from Comfort+ to Sport or even EcoPro on long distance drives, makes it behave like almost 3 different vehicles.

Is like having 3 cars for the price of 2 !

As some of you know, I've done some coding to my car, to add the sport displays -nice sporty touch- add the blinkers to the HUD, remove the disclaimer screens, and switch off Auto Start/Stop if I want to. Little things, but they really add to the customization of the car.

The heads-up display with color maps is also fantastic. Well worth it, particularly since it comes with the extended black panel display, which is an absolute beauty, when it is turned on or off.

The driving is always composed, precise, elegant or sport. You decide, the car responds to your commands.

I've also added some little mods, but for me, they really complete the look of the car: M-Sport trunk spoiler, rear glass spoiler, quad exhaust tips, clear reflectors in the front wheel arches instead of the ugly orange ones, and the 12.5mm spacers in the rear complete the package for me.

And last but not least, having those folding seats really make a big difference in the utility of the vehicle. Being able to carry a 50" LCD in the trunk without the need to get an SUV is priceless.

All in all, extremely satisfied. And for once in a loooong time, I don't need, nor want to change my car any time soon.

If you have read all the way down here, thank you for your time and patience!

Cheers!

icu 11-16-2012 05:33 PM

hahahahaha Glad to hear that !!! happy 4 u
I just got identical one M sport blak/

ChrisF01 11-16-2012 05:40 PM

The quad exhaust looks great on the rear of the F10:thumbup:

smashhell 11-16-2012 06:52 PM

Haha I like that you said the car is like 3 cars for the price of 2.
I think a lot of people tend to forget is that the F10 5 series is not a cheap car.
For the price of $60k+ (in some counties $100K+) there are alot of other car choices.
But there is something we all have in common that led us to choose this car.

jjsC6 11-16-2012 07:08 PM

Nice write-up Alex!

Mbbrewer 11-16-2012 07:21 PM

Great writeup. I'm glad to hear you are still loving your F10. But you commute an hour each way? You must live way out in the burbs.

Needsdecaf 11-16-2012 07:39 PM

Great write up Alex. Once the holidays are over, we'll have to do a Houston GTG.

CyclePimps 11-16-2012 08:05 PM

That's a great update. Gives me hope that I'll be enjoying my F10 for years to come.

Can I ask, what exhaust do you have and how do you like them?

Diplomatic 11-16-2012 09:42 PM

Nice update......yeah we definitely rack up the miles in Houston, 16k miles for me in 9 months and still loving it. Just drove in from the airport after being away all week. The car is still a joy to drive..:thumbup:

schnell525 11-16-2012 11:12 PM

Great! Glad to hear you like your 535!

BigDeep1 11-17-2012 07:16 AM

Great write up Alex! Thank you for always sharing your thoughts and updates with your baby. I have told you once, and I will tell you again - you have one of favorite F10s!

The X Men 11-17-2012 07:28 AM

Same here Alex, I like to change cars every year or so as well. I had my F10 for about 6 months now, starting to get the itch. I test drove the Lexus GS350 and the E350 sport, I tell you what, nothing on the market even come close to the F10 right now. I decided to keep my F10 for a while longer simply due to that fact.

5Xwen 11-17-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The X Men (Post 7199702)
Same here Alex, I like to change cars every year or so as well. I had my F10 for about 6 months now, starting to get the itch. I test drove the Lexus GS350 and the E350 sport, I tell you what, nothing on the market even come close to the F10 right now. I decided to keep my F10 for a while longer simply due to that fact.

The only car that will come close is the S6.

To the OP, great summary. Nice to hear from happy owners past the initial ownership stage.

Needsdecaf 11-17-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5Xwen (Post 7199712)
The only car that will come close is the S6.

To the OP, great summary. Nice to hear from happy owners past the initial ownership stage.

It's a great car, if you can get past the pop-up nav (I can), the lack of multicontour seats (still can), the monochrome white HUD (getting harder now) and the brake and gas pedal that are so close together that I foul my feet on the pedal I'm not pressing (deal breaker).

AF 11-17-2012 01:50 PM

Great write up and like a few of you I always like changing cars quickly as well but I found out the answer to cure this ... have 2 or 3 cars for yourself ... sounds crazy but it works.

Anyway ... Alex can you post some pictures of your car ... it sounds like your mods are perfect ... some customizing while keeping the overall picture perfect :thumbup:

alex_c 11-17-2012 03:43 PM

Wow, thank you guys for such nice comments!

I just came back online a few minutes ago and found all the responses... I guess that is what makes this a great online community!

By the way, here are some pics with all the mods:

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/bmw2.png

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/bmw3.png

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/bmw0.png

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/bmw00.png

http://www.bjhouston.com/bmw/bmw1.png

alex_c 11-17-2012 03:48 PM

Here are a couple of answers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7199317)
Great write up Alex. Once the holidays are over, we'll have to do a Houston GTG.

Absolutely! You need a Texas welcome to your new home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbbrewer (Post 7199294)
Great writeup. I'm glad to hear you are still loving your F10. But you commute an hour each way? You must live way out in the burbs.

Not really... The Woodlands is even another 20 minutes farther away, so it's not the worst. But in all honesty, I do enjoy my commute. I try to use the morning drive to catch up on my calls and attend some weekly conference calls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyclePimps (Post 7199335)
That's a great update. Gives me hope that I'll be enjoying my F10 for years to come.

Can I ask, what exhaust do you have and how do you like them?

I have the standard exhaust. I just added the 550's rear diffuser and quad tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeep1 (Post 7199683)
Great write up Alex! Thank you for always sharing your thoughts and updates with your baby. I have told you once, and I will tell you again - you have one of favorite F10s!

You made me blush! :D

BigDeep1 11-17-2012 03:52 PM

Love tha car!!

In that second picture, did you already have the wheel spacers installed?

Also, is that license plate a legal Texas plate??

Is that an OEM black 550 rear diffuser? The diffuser looks almost carbon black (with the shimmer) in the pictures :).

Needsdecaf 11-17-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbbrewer (Post 7199294)

You wouldn't understand it unless you've lived in Houston. I live in the Woodlands and you can spend 45 minutes working South and still not be inside the outer loop, the Sam Houston Tollway. Houston isn't immense, but there aren't a lot of good roads to get where you're going.

jmfan 11-17-2012 09:53 PM

Alex, I havenít quite had mine for a year yet, but I share your enthusiasm and satisfaction.

The F10 is terrific car that is hard to beat for its multi-purpose abilities and overall enjoyment.

Nice write-up!

jagu 11-18-2012 03:55 AM

Do you guys finds the turbo 6 cylinder engine very adequate to pull the 4000lb body or does it seem to labor a lot?

Needsdecaf 11-18-2012 05:25 AM

The engine never labors. The car does 60 in 5.5 seconds after all. I realize that's not the definitive answer, but the car never feels labored, and usually feels quick, even if it doesn't qualify as fast.

jagu 11-18-2012 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7201046)
The engine never labors. The car does 60 in 5.5 seconds after all. I realize that's not the definitive answer, but the car never feels labored, and usually feels quick, even if it doesn't qualify as fast.

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know. I think I'll be getting a new 535 msport or a used 2010 750i in May.

Alpine300ZHP 11-18-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagu (Post 7201058)
Thanks. Just what I wanted to know. I think I'll be getting a new 535 msport or a used 2010 750i in May.

To give you my opinion....the 535i is adequate, but in no way fast. Maybe I am a speed junkie, but for me to say it is fast you have to be putting down 400 plus hp. I consider 550i and M3 to be fast and everything under it to be adequate. Coming out of the 335i the 535i is going to feel on the slow side (remember I went from an N54 335i to an N54 535i to the N55 535i). However, the 750i does not feel much faster than the 535i and I guess that is because of the extra weight. I have spent considerable time in the 7 and the one thing that strikes me about the 7 is how similar it is to the 5. Unless you really want the big car I would get a new 5 over a pre-owned 7. Talk to Chris Chung or some other 7 series owners and I bet they would tell you that the 7 is overrated for its cost not to mention it tends to have service issues often. The 5 seems to be the more reliable and value oriented of the two cars and you get most of the 7 features.

jagu 11-18-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP (Post 7201064)
To give you my opinion....the 535i is adequate, but in no way fast. Maybe I am a speed junkie, but for me to say it is fast you have to be putting down 400 plus hp. I consider 550i and M3 to be fast and everything under it to be adequate. Coming out of the 335i the 535i is going to feel on the slow side (remember I went from an N54 335i to an N54 535i to the N55 535i). However, the 750i does not feel much faster than the 535i and I guess that is because of the extra weight. I have spent considerable time in the 7 and the one thing that strikes me about the 7 is how similar it is to the 5. Unless you really want the big car I would get a new 5 over a pre-owned 7. Talk to Chris Chung or some other 7 series owners and I bet they would tell you that the 7 is overrated for its cost not to mention it tends to have service issues often. The 5 seems to be the more reliable and value oriented of the two cars and you get most of the 7 features.

LOL, it was actually one of your comments that made me ask that question. A used 2012 550i will also be on my short list.

I guess after almost 2 years in the 335i, I am craving for a larger car with some presence to it.