Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   New to BMW (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658656)

BimmerBoii 11-16-2012 11:30 PM

New to BMW

1 Attachment(s)
Hello fellow 5series owner,

I am new to the BMW game, I just recently purchased a 2003 530i with the m5 package. Im on here to figure out what other owners have experienced with there cars so I know what I should be worried about. Also need help figuring out code P0741

edjack 11-16-2012 11:36 PM

P0741 = torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off.

The clutch may not be engaging.

If you wish to wrench on this car, get the Bentley E39 service manual. Browse the Stickies, too.

The word is "their."

Fudman 11-17-2012 07:03 AM

Searching the forum is the best way to learn about these cars. Nearly every topic has been identified and addressed. Your specific questions have been raised multiple times before. As a hint, search cooling system, Vanos seals, and CCV for starters.

540iman 11-17-2012 07:19 AM

Never heard of a 530 with a M5 package. Do you have a 2003 M-sport which has some pieces in common with the M5, but I would never use the term M5 package again to avoid criticism.

Now, WELCOME! You have started a journey that really will change your life. 2003 was the only year that cars that came with the "sport" package received a whole bunch of left over M parts that normally would have only found their way to M5s or in earlier years, FOREIGN "sport" models could have come with the M-sport goodies. Say, if you lived in Germany and bought that 530 in 2001, it was offered with the M-sport package-just not in the US until (and only) 2003. M badgeing, suspension parts, etc. does not reach the level of using a term like 530/M5. Just call it an M-sport, if that is, in fact, what you have.

Please do not succumb to adding dual exhaust, M5 badgeing, etc. to try and make a M5 clone. Without that 390hp, let your car be what it is and that is a beautiful thing! Congrats. You will learn a ton here- some will seem to agree and some will seem to "pick", but generally the intent will be to help you as long as you approach people the right way and do as much homework on your own first (use search function before asking...) and read the stickies. Watch-out for James (Mod), he is a real hard-azz and will make your life miserable, in general. (Only kidding, of course Jaime!!!) Gumbi, James, et al will steer you right always. :thumbup: You'll have 1000+ posts before you know it. Get your post count up to 25 by adding to other's posts rather than just create useless posts to run your count up, but when you get there we want pix!

the540wgn 11-17-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540iman (Post 7199640)
i would never use the term m5 package again to avoid criticism...
...we want pix!

+1

welcome to the fest!

BimmerBoii 11-18-2012 06:56 PM

Oh ok i didn't know that, so now i know i got the M-Sport package. Do you know if with this package if it has Electronic adjustable suspension? Idk i called the dealer and they said they would have to check for themselves...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540iman (Post 7199640)
Never heard of a 530 with a M5 package. Do you have a 2003 M-sport which has some pieces in common with the M5, but I would never use the term M5 package again to avoid criticism.

Now, WELCOME! You have started a journey that really will change your life. 2003 was the only year that cars that came with the "sport" package received a whole bunch of left over M parts that normally would have only found their way to M5s or in earlier years, FOREIGN "sport" models could have come with the M-sport goodies. Say, if you lived in Germany and bought that 530 in 2001, it was offered with the M-sport package-just not in the US until (and only) 2003. M badgeing, suspension parts, etc. does not reach the level of using a term like 530/M5. Just call it an M-sport, if that is, in fact, what you have.

Please do not succumb to adding dual exhaust, M5 badgeing, etc. to try and make a M5 clone. Without that 390hp, let your car be what it is and that is a beautiful thing! Congrats. You will learn a ton here- some will seem to agree and some will seem to "pick", but generally the intent will be to help you as long as you approach people the right way and do as much homework on your own first (use search function before asking...) and read the stickies. Watch-out for James (Mod), he is a real hard-azz and will make your life miserable, in general. (Only kidding, of course Jaime!!!) Gumbi, James, et al will steer you right always. :thumbup: You'll have 1000+ posts before you know it. Get your post count up to 25 by adding to other's posts rather than just create useless posts to run your count up, but when you get there we want pix!

QSilver7 11-18-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBoii (Post 7202077)
Do you know if with this package if it has Electronic adjustable suspension? Idk i called the dealer and they said they would have to check for themselves...

No...the 530i didn't come with EDC (electronic damping control) as an option in the USA.

As far as finding out what options and features came on your car from the factory...just go to this site's link below and enter the last 7 digits of your car's VIN...then answer (correctly) a simple math equation...then click the SEARCH button. Scroll down when the page loads and you'll get the list: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

Below is a chart that gives some brief description of the e39 models from 1997-2003 and some of the option pkgs (sport/premium):

540iman 11-19-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBoii (Post 7202077)
Oh ok i didn't know that, so now i know i got the M-Sport package. Do you know if with this package if it has Electronic adjustable suspension? Idk i called the dealer and they said they would have to check for themselves...

Get to know Q-Silver as he is a virtual who's who when it comes to these cars and when you are well-enough off to afford an X-5, he will STILL be "the man". If he answers a post, you can "take it to the bank" and we all mean that. If he is typing, he is NOT lying! I guess if he doesn't know something, he will stay quiet, but I suspect he would never get anything done if he were to correct all the bunk posts he runs across! He is the forum's version of the "welcome package" like what people uased to give new neighbors... Enjoy his responses as you may not see another one again for a while.

How wide is your door Q? Just wanna make sure your head will still fit or take day off. Great guy who takes a lot of personal time to give answers as thorough as you just got. He must rival Blue Bee for organizational skills for all his BMW knowledge. Congrats on the new X5 Q-man. The Kia Sportage I bought the wife few mos ago(cause we could not swing an X-5) will need a complete detail MINIMUM to take away the tears... :thumbup:

Bill

OP- don't sweat calling your ride a 530/M5. No worries. Just trying to avoid any flames later. You focused on that and missed a hearty "welcome" and none of us fell from the womb knowing squat- except Q-man who was born a full-grown, role model for all adults to aspire to. Welcome again and no question is dumb, except the one not asked AND the one where no search has been attempted on youir own. We only really get tweaked when a subject has been covered as nauseum and just needs a simple search. Besides, you retain what you research yourself! Search function (top right) IS your friend. write-in often~ When you get to 25 posts, you can host pix and we all wanna see your ride!

QSilver7 11-19-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 540iman (Post 7202590)
...Congrats on the new X5 Q-man. The Kia Sportage I bought the wife few mos ago(cause we could not swing an X-5) will need a complete detail MINIMUM to take away the tears... :thumbup:

Bill...

LOL Thanks for the kind words...don't worry, y'all ain't got rid of me yet! :D The e53 X5 is really just an e39 5 series SUV...that stands about 6" taller and pulls a bit from the front (AWD). :) Its the last of the generation of bimmers (e45/e39/e38) that have basically the same design/build architecture. Sitting in her looks & feels very familiar...same instrument cluster, gear shift, IHKA controls, and audio/MID/Nav set-up etc.

There's only a few things that bridge over to the newer i-drive models...like the push/pull window switches, the N62 double VANOS engine, & X-drive. The basic maintenance upkeep and common maladies are the same as the e38/e39 etc...so I'll still be around.

Oddly...the X5 guys/gals don't really have the same dynamic forums as the e38 & e39...there's a good one (no names to protect the guilty) with some really knowledgeable members...but they aren't quite as active as the 5 & 7 forums...and that could be due to the number of owners. :)

So, just from sheer bordom...you're still stuck with me interjecting my 2 cents into the conversations. :D

540iman 11-19-2012 02:21 PM

We are all better off for that Q-man. Enjoy your new wheels. Wife INSISTS on a SUV even giving me her 2002 540 E39 so I could sell my 2000 540 E39 so long as she had an SUV...go figure. She had a Ford Exploder as she must have ride for our two Goldens even if it is once a year and being a short person (5'2") she hates sitting down low and loves looking truckers almost in the eye??? better check that.......

She and I looked at used X3s (too small) and used X5s and they were beautiful, but 2006 or 2007 to equal a 2012 Kia Sorento with 10 yr. 100,000 mile warranty. With a 2002 540 and a used X5--- well, we needed a vehicle we could count on every day and not have money issues. I worked 65 miles one way West and she worked 15 miles one way East. We could not share one ride even one day. She test drove an X5 and still talks about it even though her AWD Kia she claims she absolutely loves...she longs for the X5. I'm no dummy. Hell, I bought a M5 FOR HER because I felt guilty owning a 540 sport. I bought her a 1991 mint ZR-1 because I had a modded 99 C5 vette with over 500 RWHP. She is used to always having the best so I call first dibs on your X5! In Sept./Oct. we both got let go from our jobs totally surprised so we are lucky we have what we have I think.