Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Warning, Bad Repair Shop in Houston, TX (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658685)

matreyia 11-17-2012 09:40 AM

Warning, Bad Repair Shop in Houston, TX

3 Attachment(s)
Whatever you do, don't go to Sudden Impact Collision Body Repair shop. It is located in midtown Houston, Texas on West Gray Street. I went it for a simple chips/nicks and scratches job and the fast talking owner convinced me that they could make it look better than new...but after two tries and $1234.00, the car is still mismatched. Go to Yelp and search for their shop name to read my detailed ordeal.

Check out the attached pdf photos to see the disaster.

I am proceeding with legal action to make them pay for the job done properly at a more qualified shop in Houston.

Just a friendly warning.

VT

2009 Alpine White e93 328i Convertible

sptt144 11-18-2012 01:02 AM

Sweet convertible! I think I see it in the pictures. Almost looks like some sections are grey compared to the Alpine White?

GarySL 11-18-2012 10:55 AM

Strained my eyes looking for the mis-match in the first two photos (overcast day?) but clearly visible in the last photo (2059). Weird, you'd think white wouldn't be hard to match.

Good luck getting retribution.

matreyia 11-18-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sptt144 (Post 7200936)
Sweet convertible! I think I see it in the pictures. Almost looks like some sections are grey compared to the Alpine White?

Yes, that is right. The rear panels and the hood are grayish instead of white. This was the second attempt. He showed me the car in bright daylight, around 3pm so I could not see the difference...but on an overcast day and under the garage...presto.

My credit card decided in his favor...Discover Card. Just because he showed my signature on the work order. Apparently, they didn't even look at these photos I sent them along with all my letters I sent the owner about the first mistake.

We will see what the court says. I will be sending my car to get it done right in a week. I will pay my credit card in full and then cancel it. Not a big deal to lose one customer, but it's the principle that counts. And so, bye bye to Discover and hello courtroom...even if I lose the case, it's still worth pursuing so that this sheister will think twice about doing this to another person. Unless he just has tons of time on his hands.

VT

matreyia 11-18-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarySL (Post 7201379)
Strained my eyes looking for the mis-match in the first two photos (overcast day?) but clearly visible in the last photo (2059). Weird, you'd think white wouldn't be hard to match.

Good luck getting retribution.

Thanks for the wishes. I will need all the luck I can get. It is my intent to make this guy known to as many people in Houston as possible so he doesn't do this again. Even if I don't win, at least he will think twice next time before cutting corners. At this point, it's a matter of principle.

Vt

Jimmys 530i 11-20-2012 04:09 PM

This is typical of cheap paint. It seems as if the primer that was used is bleeding through the basecoat.

twhisten 11-20-2012 05:24 PM

Make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Anybody that looks him up on it will see a negative blemish on him.

Leekay07 11-20-2012 09:15 PM

Next time ask your insurance to provide a list of companies they work with in the area. You don't have to report a claim just ask for a company that they use. (most shops that work for insurance companies back the work for the time you own the car.)

Nordic_Kat 11-20-2012 09:46 PM

OP,

Is your interest here only in warning folks off the repair place in midtown or are you sincerely interested in getting your car fixed properly?

If you are primarily concerned about getting it done right, take it to Katy Coachworks at 1180 Blalock.

They are MB Certified, Aston Martin Certified, and do a whole bunch of high end work. They aren't necessarily the cheapest in town, but they do very good work, and they know how to match white paint.

Not my car, but they have numerous times done fantastic jobs on the white MB my boss owns.

CALLAWAY845 11-21-2012 07:49 PM

Not my car, but they have numerous times done fantastic jobs on the white MB my boss owns.[/QUOTE]

Wow Nordic Cat, your boss must lead quite the rough and tumble lifestyle :)

Lufthansa 11-22-2012 01:19 PM

In the fortunately few instances I have had to take a car in for cosmetic/body work, I've never gone wrong by asking my dealer where they get their body work accomplished. I found this to work every time, whether it was a Mustang, Lexus, or BMW.

Chop362 11-22-2012 07:22 PM

Either he's got a bad eye or opened the wrong can of paint.....Make it good or take em to court you have just cause just don't forget to charge him for your time spent,Truth.

Chop362 11-22-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twhisten (Post 7205834)
Make a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. Anybody that looks him up on it will see a negative blemish on him.

Nice car but off topic question..Still liking the Lemans??Upkeep?? Placing an order soon and am considering,Thanks.

Db750 11-22-2012 07:38 PM

I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. I will say that the third picture the poor paint job is pretty evident, and I do believe that you deserve retribution.

My question; you say you went in for simple chips, nicks, and scratches, but the only part of your car that I can tell has been repainted is the rear fender. I would think that if you were having chips repaired the front bumper would be the first thing repainted. Please explain.

matreyia 03-18-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Db750 (Post 7209520)
I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. I will say that the third picture the poor paint job is pretty evident, and I do believe that you deserve retribution.

My question; you say you went in for simple chips, nicks, and scratches, but the only part of your car that I can tell has been repainted is the rear fender. I would think that if you were having chips repaired the front bumper would be the first thing repainted. Please explain.

Yes, he suggested the rear panel be painted too because there were a couple of chips on both sides. Anywho, sold it a while back, got a 335i with Dinan S2, performance exhaust and installing dinan intake next week. Runs great.

hondo402000 03-18-2014 02:38 AM

who repaints a whole fender for a couple of chips?

well first its evident that the guy knows nothing about repainting partial cars, you Always blend the paint into the surrounding body parts, so the new paint melds into the old paint.
you never do a paint job and stop at a body seam. it will never look right,

you need to call your CC again and take the matter up a few levels and at least get them to hold the charge till you go to court, You also need to tell your CC company you are taking the guy to court and that they should hold payment till the court renders a decision. if they rule in your fravor fax or email the documents and they should remove reverse the charge, Unless they guy that painted your cars says he never said the paint would match and he would do his best, Which you can bet thats what he will say, if he is a ****ty painter, you can bet he is a really good lier