Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Z3 2.5 Radiator Leak (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658706)

tevieray 11-17-2012 10:35 AM

2.5 Radiator Leak

Ok - Noticed a slight "drip" at my coolant recovery inlet on my 2001 2.5i. That's when I realized the coolant line that runs to the recovery tank had been replaced with a generic coolant hose. So I called my local dealer to order the right hose. Then went to the local auto parts store to get a better hose clamp (the one that was on it appeared to be "slipping"). Installed new hose clamp to hold it until the new hoze arrived - then started the engine to check for additional leaks. That's when I noticed a hairline crack in the housing directly above that hose connector... (there's a "flat" area) ...and it's now leaking more than ever!

So I assume that means I need a new radiator? And I'm completely shut down 'til I get one?

I got on line and I see prices all over the place... Car-Stuff has a "Silla" for $95. Bavauto has what appears to be OEM for $285. ****************** has a "Spectra-Premium" for $213, PartsGeek has an "Action Crash Parts" for $183.

Is there a difference? Anyone have any experience with this? ...or others? Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks
Tom

Pinecone 11-17-2012 02:15 PM

How many miles on the car?

This is common around 100K or so miles.

You can go with the plastic tank style radiator and it will last another 100K, or something like the Zionsville Aluminum radiator that will last longer, but it a bit more expensive.

If you haven't done it, probably a good time to replace the thermostat housing and the water pump.

tevieray 11-17-2012 02:24 PM

z3 2.5 Radiator Leak

Thanks Terry... Yeah actually it has about 96k miles. So I guess I'm due. Do you see anything wrong with just getting one of the cheaper "Silla's"? I also saw some aluminum ones on eBay for about $175. 2 walls? Would that actually improve things?

Thanks
Tom

morrieschoice 11-18-2012 04:05 PM

Radiator

Sometimes cheaper is not always the best way to go...might cost you more in the long run. I recently purchased my cooling parts for my 2001 3.0 Roadster from Bimmerzone.com..real easy people to deal with and the best prices for the cooling parts. They totally stand behind their parts. I know for sure. I purchased the BMW radiator, water pump, thermostat housing, & upper/lower belts. Consider the uppper radiator brackets if the existing brackets break plus the expanding rivits that fasten the radiator to the frame. Be sure to get a water pump with a metal impeller (several choices). I paid $0 shipping charges. Hint: make sure you follow proper drain/fill procedures when doing the cooling system. They also have the aluminum radiator if that is your choice. Hope this helps & best of luck.