Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Leaking A/C compressor: replace with one from different model? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658775)

alphaod 11-17-2012 05:15 PM

Leaking A/C compressor: replace with one from different model?
 
I have a 2009 X5 with the N62 motor.

A week ago there was a squeaking sound coming from the motor. I suspected an aging drive belt, so I replaced both the drive and the compressor belts. Well it didn't solve my issue. So I took it into an indy (because they have a lift). They showed me that the compressor is leaking hydraulic fluid; they adjusted the belt which didn't do anything, so they used a shorter belt than spec to try to alleviate the issue. This helped a bit, but there is still the squeal. They didn't charge me a cent for any of this.

Anyways, I decided I'm going to get a new compressor. The issue is I am going to trade-in this X5 next February, so I didn't want to blow $1200 on a new compressor. I looked around and found a refurbished unit from a reputable shop. I couldn't find one under the X5 section, but it is available for a 2008 750i which I know has the same motor. This should fit in the X5 right? The refurbished unit is $350.

Thanks!

ard 11-17-2012 06:05 PM

If the part number is different, you cannot risk it. The same motor can have massively different mounting points for all kinds of things.

Be especially careful with AC. You want a shop that knows what they are doing. Get it wrong and you can hose the rest of the system. foul the receiver drier, or damage the evap.

If all you need is 4 months (and you are SURE) buy a junked one.

A

ndabunka 11-17-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 7200500)
I have a 2009 X5 with the N62 motor.

A week ago there was a squeaking sound coming from the motor. I suspected an aging drive belt, so I replaced both the drive and the compressor belts. Well it didn't solve my issue. So I took it into an indy (because they have a lift). They showed me that the compressor is leaking hydraulic fluid; they adjusted the belt which didn't do anything, so they used a shorter belt than spec to try to alleviate the issue. This helped a bit, but there is still the squeal. They didn't charge me a cent for any of this.

Anyways, I decided I'm going to get a new compressor. The issue is I am going to trade-in this X5 next February, so I didn't want to blow $1200 on a new compressor. I looked around and found a refurbished unit from a reputable shop. I couldn't find one under the X5 section, but it is available for a 2008 750i which I know has the same motor. This should fit in the X5 right? The refurbished unit is $350.

Thanks!

Confused... Wouldn't a compressor fall under warranty replacement? :dunno:

ard 11-17-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7200663)
Confused... Wouldn't a compressor fall under warranty replacement? :dunno:

Miles?

alphaod 11-17-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7200578)
If the part number is different, you cannot risk it. The same motor can have massively different mounting points for all kinds of things.

Be especially careful with AC. You want a shop that knows what they are doing. Get it wrong and you can hose the rest of the system. foul the receiver drier, or damage the evap.

If all you need is 4 months (and you are SURE) buy a junked one.

A

Errr... I don't want to spend $1200 on a new compressor. I am not sure; that is the issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7200663)
Confused... Wouldn't a compressor fall under warranty replacement? :dunno:

Normally yes.

But my car has 65000 miles hence it's out of warranty.

ard 11-17-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 7200834)
Errr... I don't want to spend $1200 on a new compressor. I am not sure; that is the issue.



Normally yes.

But my car has 65000 miles hence it's out of warranty.

If it were the same, BMW would have the same part number. Looking up that part it is ONLY good for the X5.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/p...529185144.html

Don't fix it..or buy a junk unit.

I'm also a bit iffy on the diagnosis ...how sure are you on that?

ndabunka 11-18-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaod (Post 7200834)
  • I don't want to spend $1200 on a new compressor. I am not sure; that is the issue.
  • But my car has 65000 miles hence it's out of warranty.

Sometimes you have to fix things before you can get the $'s back out of them later. Have you looked for a refirb'd X5 one through AutoZone or anything similar? That would be a way to save probably as much as 50% off the new one. However, if you've ALREADY put 65K miles in a few short years, you could add another 10K miles by Feb so if it was me, I'd buy the new one and simply count that as a cost of running that many miles in such a short time frame.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms