Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   shifting issues (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658972)

mraiford07 11-18-2012 06:39 PM

shifting issues

ok so im sure a couple of you have seen my post about my car issue but im stuck between 2 diff thoughts as to whats wrong. here's what happened. i was driving down the interstate when i started going up a slight incline when it felt like my clutch slipped and the rpms reved up as if i were in neutral i realeased the gas and attempted to downshift but it was the same thing in each gear eventually i reached the top. i was at 20 mph and down shifted to second and it caught i worked my way back to 5th and then hit another incline where it did the same thing. eventually i made my way back to town where i came to a stop light and could smell the clutch cooking. i then took off in first shifted to second but when it was time to go to third the motor just continued to rev up with no acceleration. so i pulled over checked my fluids everything was fine. i was sure it was the clutch but then today my friend who was helping explained that the lack of pressure was due to something else so i started my research once again and found that me being able to shift between gears and not hold the clutch in could be due to my slave cylinder being bad so we inspected it and there were no leaks and we then attempted to bleed the system but the fluid just flowed out not spew like it has for any other clutch system ive bled. now i dont know if its normal or not this is my first bmw attempting to diagnose. so i ordered a new slave cylinder and it will be in tomorrow. the thing is i just went out to tighten up the shifter in my fiances 2000 bmw and while tightening it up her shifter shifted into any gear just like mine so i feel like my friend may have been wrong of his diagnosis. although mine shifts the same way with the car running and there is pressure on the clutch it doesnt feel like much cause im used to a tighter clutch set up but i pushed on my buddies and realized his was just as soft so i may have been wrong in thinking there was no tension. but im inexperienced in this aspect and he is too when it comes to a bmw so any insight would be helpful in locating the source before i pay for anymore parts i do not indeed need.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App

dc_wright 11-18-2012 07:28 PM

Usually when the slave cylinder fails it keeps the clutch from disengaging, it doesn't cause it to slip. To cause a slip the slave would have keep the clutch from releasing fully.
Have you noticed any oil leaks coming from the area where the transmission mates to the engine? A leaking engine rear main seal can get oil onto the clutch disk and cause a bit time slippage.

mraiford07 11-19-2012 04:22 AM

there havnt been and fluids leaking from the motor although the atf resevoir looks like a mess like it was leaking but its stayed full.

mraiford07 11-19-2012 06:40 PM

well i read this post and it made alot of sense and makes me believe i was right with my first assuption of the clutch being bad.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1109406&page=2

drivinfaster 11-19-2012 07:29 PM

well if you were going up an incline when this happened, then i would think the clutch was slipping. especially since you mentioned that it smelled.

putting another slave cylinder in will most likely do nothing but make your wallet lighter. i believe that you are going to be needing a clutch job in the very near future, unless you are able to avoid such inclines.

df

mraiford07 11-19-2012 07:49 PM

lol it doesnt drive anymore since i had to go up those three hills it died abd ive been trying to diagnose what exactly was wrong i knew it had something to do with the clutch system but just not exactly which component i had already ordered a new clutch kit and am prepared to put it in but was trying to make sure that it wasnt something else i needed to replace before i get everything done and realize i need to take it all back apart for something else you know

Beamergirl55 12-12-2012 06:44 AM

I had a similar issue...it was my synchronizer. I had this replaced a few weeks back and its shifting beautifully!

petriej 12-12-2012 08:19 AM

Synchro only helps it get into gear. If he's fully engaged and loses clutch traction on an incline, the clutch is bad and needs to be replaced.

If I had to guess: your rear main seal is leaking and you have oil all over your clutch.

Kdoherty 12-12-2012 11:35 AM

well there's one way of diagnosing both of those theories, pull the bellhousing inspection plug and look. either way to replace one or the other the trans has to come out.

ReillyM3 12-12-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petriej (Post 7245124)
Synchro only helps it get into gear. If he's fully engaged and loses clutch traction on an incline, the clutch is bad and needs to be replaced.

If I had to guess: your rear main seal is leaking and you have oil all over your clutch.

This x 2...