Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   CIC Nav Updates Available (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659212)

ccieurzo 11-19-2012 08:51 PM

CIC Nav Updates Available
 
An email came from Tischer BMW (GetBMWParts.com) today saying that they are now offering CIC map updates on a USB stick along with FSC codes for $235. No affiliation of course. I wonder if dealers will drop the extortionate charges for updates now that they have some competition.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...cat4=&subcat5=

AutoUnion 11-19-2012 09:17 PM

Looks like it's $189 now.

Someone needs to hack the database, so we can torrent these maps in the future :)

http://puu.sh/1scJn

ND40oz 11-20-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoUnion (Post 7204270)
Looks like it's $189 now.

Looks like an additional $46 charge if you need the CIC maps with the drop down.

smyles 11-20-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ND40oz (Post 7204684)
Looks like an additional $46 charge if you need the CIC maps with the drop down.

What's the 'maps with the drop down'?

ccieurzo 11-20-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smyles (Post 7204878)
What's the 'maps with the drop down'?

There is a drop down menu on the order page that allows you to select which maps you want to purchase. If you select the CIC maps from the drop down, it adds the extra charge, bringing the total to $235.

kkratochvil 11-20-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccieurzo (Post 7204237)
An email came from Tischer BMW (GetBMWParts.com) today saying that they are now offering CIC map updates on a USB stick along with FSC codes for $235. No affiliation of course. I wonder if dealers will drop the extortionate charges for updates now that they have some competition.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...cat4=&subcat5=

I got the same email and ordered last night, after exchanging a couple of emails with one of the guys at Tischer.

Sounds like it should be roughly the same process you could do previously, if you could get ahold of the "shop only" DVDs and an FSC code. The USB stick should plug into the USB port in the glovebox and then one doesn't have to feed 3 DVDs through the player. Should make it even simpler!

FYI, I did get a copy of the DVDs last year and an FSC code via someone that emerged in the forum as someone who could do so. I did get it all done for about half the cost of $235 + shipping. I think it was around $120, when all was said and done.

It was trivially easy to do. You just followed the directions in the iDrive system. Everytime I complete one of the BMW surveys when I have service done and answer the question: What would you like to pass on to BMW Engineering? (or some question like that...), I tell them they should offer a DIY map update for $50. They've already got the DIY part nailed, they just need to quit using map updates as a reason for them and the BMW Service orgs. to make a killing on it. (They have plenty of opportunities to make a killing already!)

19us 11-20-2012 09:31 AM

Just for giggles, called my dealer and one closer to ask about this. My dealer parts didn't know the 2013 maps were out, and insisted the only way to get the update was through programming upload via service. Service department insisted only way to do updates was via DVD bought through parts. When I told them they were giving mixed messages, they suggested I visit bmw.com and find some random software update site.....clearly don't know what they're doing. I fear for those trying to get upgrades there.

I called local dealer #2, they sell the same package for same price as offered at Tischer - they'll give USB for same price to do the upgrade yourself, or have you bring vehicle in and they'll do the programming upgrade for same $235.. Given they're close, I ordered and will just pick up the USB stick and let it run while I drive home.....

kkratochvil 11-20-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19us (Post 7204977)
Just for giggles, called my dealer and one closer to ask about this. My dealer parts didn't know the 2013 maps were out, and insisted the only way to get the update was through programming upload via service. Service department insisted only way to do updates was via DVD bought through parts. When I told them they were giving mixed messages, they suggested I visit bmw.com and find some random software update site.....clearly don't know what they're doing. I fear for those trying to get upgrades there.

I called local dealer #2, they sell the same package for same price as offered at Tischer - they'll give USB for same price to do the upgrade yourself, or have you bring vehicle in and they'll do the programming upgrade for same $235.. Given they're close, I ordered and will just pick up the USB stick and let it run while I drive home.....

Good to know!

I was making the assumption that BMW hadn't lostened their grip at all on the Nav updates, but if you can buy via your local dealer, they likely have...

It caused me to do a little more research on "leads" that I'd chased last year, but all seemed to have dried up because BMW wasn't yet ready in the US.

And...

You can now go to http://navigation.teleatlas.com/bmwusa and walk yourself through the process to order a USB stick and presumably, an FSC code, to do it yourself. Price seems to be the MSRP price of $245, so Tischer saves you a bit and then local BMW dealers might vary the prices a bit.

Most likely, this hasn't leaked out to all of the dealers very well as yet. I know my local dealer has a parts guy that has stayed up on this in the past. He was expecting something like this to have happened last year, but it didn't, so I went a different route. Looks like BMWNA moved it ahead a bit finally.

Like many in the forum, Tischer has been a good source in the past, but I was so excited yesterday that a decent offering has emerged that I didn't check locally. Wish I would have now, as with my usual discount at my local dealer (BMWCCA membership discount), I could have saved a few more dollars by ordering locally.

It's still about the price of a really good, new TomTom, but I don't like the look of the clutter of the separate systems.

tcfila 11-21-2012 07:05 AM

Anyone have the part number for the 13 maps on DVD?

BenF12400 11-21-2012 07:25 AM

Anyone know if a 2013 X5 built end of April 2012 already has 2013 Nav maps?

canuck_x5 11-21-2012 07:43 PM

Will anyone upload the 2013 North America Maps (CIC) for other members??

canuck_x5 11-21-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenF12400 (Post 7206734)
Anyone know if a 2013 X5 built end of April 2012 already has 2013 Nav maps?

I doubt it, since 2013 Maps were just released... You can validate by checking under options in the Nav screen...

navibmw 11-26-2012 05:29 PM

hello, you can ask here http://www.navibmw.pl/fscmap_gb.html you can learn more about update your navigation system! Just write poczta@navibmw.pl

ard 11-26-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenF12400 (Post 7206734)
Anyone know if a 2013 X5 built end of April 2012 already has 2013 Nav maps?

Dont know.

My 2012 which was built in Oct 2011 hhad the 2012 FSC code ALREADY LOADED even thought the 2012 map was not yet published.

The way to find out is to jsut try and load it, if the car already had the FSC you will bnever be prompted to enter one. DO NOT buy a new code, just get the disc or a copy of the USB.

They sell the USB alone for $46, IIRC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck_x5 (Post 7208034)
Will anyone upload the 2013 North America Maps (CIC) for other members??

FYI Perfectly legal to do so, the actual data is not copyrighted. (As near as I can tell.)

Anyone want to sell their old USB or a copy?

A

canuck_x5 11-26-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7215616)
FYI Perfectly legal to do so, the actual data is not copyrighted. (As near as I can tell.)

Anyone want to sell their old USB or a copy?

A


Thanks Bud, just waiting for someone who has it, if they can share it with the forum members...

henrycyao 11-26-2012 09:30 PM

Does 2013 map fixes weird city identification problem? In San Jose, there is Wesfield Valley Fairmall at 2855 Stevens Creek Blvd., Santa Clara. If you input that address in, the stupid navigator got confused. If you type in the zip code 95050, you will see it is named as Cory which is a neighborhood part of San Jose.

canuck_x5 11-27-2012 09:02 AM

Does anyone know anything about the 2013 Map update supposedly requiring a minimum CIC firmware of 47.5

ard 11-27-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck_x5 (Post 7216651)
Does anyone know anything about the 2013 Map update supposedly requiring a minimum CIC firmware of 47.5

Dont know, but it should be covered by warranty. They may not SAY that, but at least in the US they have a legal duty to ensure the software is updated to work "properly'...and as they have sold you a car with 'upgradeable' maps, the software must work with those upgrades. if it does not, it is 'defective workmanship'. IMO

A

BenF12400 11-27-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck_x5 (Post 7208037)
I doubt it, since 2013 Maps were just released... You can validate by checking under options in the Nav screen...

Thanks - will try to find options on my Nav screen - so far cannot get get "options" to appear but I maybe didn't put enoough effort in it.

DaveO 11-28-2012 12:33 PM

I recently bought a 2007 X5 and have inquired about updating the NAV software. I found a site bmwnav.net that sells a DVD to update the current program to 2013 for $49.99. I called my local dealer and the DVD they have cost $199.99, part number 65902339012. What is the correct way to get the NAV software updated without causing problems with the system?
Dave

ard 11-28-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO (Post 7219203)
I recently bought a 2007 X5 and have inquired about updating the NAV software. I found a site bmwnav.net that sells a DVD to update the current program to 2013 for $49.99. I called my local dealer and the DVD they have cost $199.99, part number 65902339012. What is the correct way to get the NAV software updated without causing problems with the system?
Dave

Buy the 49.99 DVD...its a copy of the 199.99 DVD:thumbup:


And to be accurate, you are just inserting the DVD with the updated DATA...the "program" doesnt change, you just want the same system to display updated data (roads, stores, etc)

Now, there may be updates to your navigation system operation that can be done, but if it doesnt bother you, just get the new data.

A

canuck_x5 11-28-2012 08:35 PM

Anyone have the 2013 Maps North America CIC Maps available for forum members...

canuck_x5 11-29-2012 10:24 PM

For those of you interested, I have the 2013 CIC Maps. For some reason can't attach the torrent file for you guys, comes back invalid file even though renamed extension to .txt

Any advice, so I can post for our members?

ard 11-29-2012 11:21 PM

^^ Im assuming you cannot attach 25GB of data no matter WHAT you call it.

canuck_x5 11-30-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7222567)
^^ Im assuming you cannot attach 25GB of data no matter WHAT you call it.

:rofl::rofl:

It's a torrent link which I am trying to attach, which references the download to the 25 GB image.

The link is 218KB :dunno:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms