Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Z3 Roadster (E36/7) Air bag light on!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659304)

c12hap 11-20-2012 10:08 AM

Air bag light on!!

Hello All,

I recently upgraded my BMW Z3 with leather seats. It was a right who ha with the wiring but finally sorted it - i think .....
However the air bag light has come on :-(
I disconnected the battery and checked all the sockets and wires but all is ok -

Is it just because its registered a fault on the computer - if i buy one if those resetting tools on the internet will it clear it ?

Any advice will be appreciated

Cheers

Tom

Pinecone 11-20-2012 10:59 AM

Once it comes on, you have to reset it.

If the key gets turned on while any one of the connectors is apart, you get the light.

morrieschoice 11-20-2012 05:55 PM

air bag light

Before you purchase a reset tool to turn off the a/bag light, why not go to an auto parts store like autozone or advance auto etc. to see if they will do it for FREE. Just a thought :)

Blacklane 11-20-2012 06:07 PM

I suspect most shops are reluctant to reset an SRS light without knowing how a problem was corrected. It's worth asking, though.

On the other hand, there are BMW SRS reset tools for sale for about $30 US on Amazon and other sites. That's cheaper than most shop's minimum charge.

rudyrov 11-21-2012 04:51 AM

My experience is that the SRS light wont reset if the problem persists. It will momentarily go out then come right back.

Pinecone 11-21-2012 05:46 AM

Exactly.

No harm in resetting it, every time you turn on power, the system self tests. If anything is wrong, the light comes back on.

Ivanhoe1997 11-22-2012 05:31 AM

I found this on ebay, got one coming. Will let you know if it works. ic

BMW Airbag Bypass Seat Occupancy Sensor Mat Emulator

IgotBMW 11-22-2012 06:30 AM

Interesting. Let us know if it works.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Bimmer App

Hornedfrog1969 11-24-2012 07:34 AM

I ordered a code reader and airbag light reset tool on Amazon for ~$55 for both. I've been reseting everyone's air bag light and checking codes ever since. The reset tool is yellow and the code reader is red. I can't believe how many people are driving around with the airbag light on. They work great.

IgotBMW 11-24-2012 08:18 AM

Do you have a pic or link to buy for the code reader?

Hornedfrog1969 11-24-2012 09:12 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...ds=code+reader

http://www.amazon.com/B800-reset-Air...=pd_sbs_auto_6

Make sure you get the air bag tool with the adaptor for the engine bay port. The air bag light cannot be reset from the OBDII port inside the car. These come with directions and are really easy to use. They are very inexpensive, $60 total and I think you can get free shipping.

I've been using both for about eight months. I've reset codes for five different people and reset the air bag light for four others. No complaints. Good luck.

Hornedfrog1969 11-24-2012 09:14 AM

This one is same model but cost less.

http://www.amazon.com/Airbag-Display...pd_sim_sbs_p_5

tobandals 11-25-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivanhoe1997 (Post 7208536)
I found this on ebay, got one coming. Will let you know if it works. ic

BMW Airbag Bypass Seat Occupancy Sensor Mat Emulator

Could you keep us posted on how this works? My light is also on, and my mechanic told me it was from the codes from both seats - could that be correct? If the sensor is to determine that someone is sitting there, why would the drivers seat have one, there should always be someone sitting there.

Anyway, if this works for you I may try that also, rather than replacing the sensor mat.

Hornedfrog1969 11-25-2012 06:46 AM

The tool will reset a light for a transient fault. If the light comes back on or never goes away there really is a problem with the air bag system it needs to be repaired. The reset tool will tell you what the faults are and give you the option to erase them. Good luck.

Trapper 01-30-2013 10:41 AM

Hey Hornedfrog,

I am currently experiencing an airbag light problem. I took out my passenger seat to do a repair. Put the seat back in with no airbag light issues. A few days later I am hooking up a battery tender and I disconnected the battery for a split second. Now I have an airbag light. I bought the same B800 SRS tool you have. It gives me a code 38 "swinging voltage fault" which makes sense with me disconnecting the battery for a split second.

My issue is I can't reset the fault.

Can you provide me with the procedure you follow to reset the fault, maybe I am missing a step as the directions are kind of vague.

Hornedfrog1969 01-30-2013 12:07 PM

Tapper,

Turn the ignition to the on position (without cranking the engine), Plug the device into the receptacle (under the hood) you will get "FA" on the display. Push the scroll button until it reads "CA", then hit "enter". Scroll back to "FA" and hit "enter" to see if the fault is still there. Turn the key to the off position and remove the devise. Start the car to make sure the light is out.

Ivanhoe1997 02-01-2013 05:49 AM

light

I bought the little plug then the tool. It worked for me. The plug alone did not take the light out but once it was reset the light stays off. I just recovered my seats so I might have a light again but it should reset. ic

Clearancediver 02-01-2013 03:46 PM

I had a similar problem with my 2004 3.0 which was identified by BMW as being caused by a dirty connector in the battery compartment in the trunk. The line resistance caused by the dirty connector caused the fault code and the resultant dash display light. For what ever reason the wiring harness has a connector in that area that interfaces with the airbags. The technician metered the wiring and identified a voltage as being out of parameters. He cleaned the connection and I haven't had a problem since. It may not be the cause of your problem but it does illustrate how a seemingly unconnected problem can cause error codes elsewhere.

dznguyen 03-26-2013 07:48 AM

Hi,
I had 2003 Z4 2.5i with the Airbag displayed for sometimes. I had the independent shop to run diagnostic but no airbag code found. He ran aquick test and reset everything but the airbag light still displayed. Could you plaese tell me what is the precise way to fix this issue?
Regards,
Dzung Nguyen

Clearancediver 03-26-2013 11:43 AM

Which light remains lit? Is it in the dash cluster... or is it the light to the right of the stick shift on the centre console. That light remains lit to indicate the passenger airbags are disabled... If no passenger is sitting in the seat. The light goes out when a passenger sits in the seat. If it doesn't go out the passenger airbags have been disabled via the key disable/enable switch that is on the side of passenger dash that is accessible when the passenger door is opened. That had me confused initially when I bought the car last fall. It's designed so that you can disable the airbags when you have a child seat etc installed there...