Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Redline d4atf in manual tranny? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659347)

sjbmw328i 11-20-2012 01:49 PM

Redline d4atf in manual tranny?
 
hey everyone, so what is the difference between REDLINE D4ATF, MT-90 75w90, and MTL 70w80 for the manual transmission? My car 2000 328i mileage is at 167,000. I am already going to put 75w90 for my differential, but just wasn't sure what to put in my manual transmission. DAVE from redline told me he recommends putting the D4ATF in there. What do you guys think? Any positive experiences? If it helps, the climate over in my area is starting to get cold every now and then.

Fast Bob 11-20-2012 02:24 PM

Given your location, a 50/50 mix of ATF and MTL would give good results.

sjbmw328i 11-20-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7205617)
Given your location, a 50/50 mix of ATF and MTL would give good results.

Alright sounds good Fast Bob. If i didn't go ahead and do a 50/50 mix and just put in 100% straight "D4ATF", will there be any harm in that? I'm just asking since I got a reply from DAVE from Redline company saying he recommend putting "D4 ATF", but he didnt mention anything about mixing it 50/50 with MTL.

Fast Bob 11-20-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjbmw328i (Post 7205706)
Alright sounds good Fast Bob. If i didn't go ahead and do a 50/50 mix and just put in 100% straight "D4ATF", will there be any harm in that? I'm just asking since I got a reply from DAVE from Redline company saying he recommend putting "D4 ATF", but he didnt mention anything about mixing it 50/50 with MTL.

Straight ATF is *too* thin for many people`s tastes....the 50/50 mix (which IS Redline approved, BTW) gives the best compromise for both "cushioning effect" and ease of shifting.

Scottji 11-20-2012 04:13 PM

I went straight MTL, and in these cooler months (lows in the upper 40s) it makes the shifter pretty stiff until it warms up. It's awesome when it gets warm, but I might do a mix of MTL/D4 next time just to make the cold shifts a little easier.

smolck 11-20-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7205617)
Given your location, a 50/50 mix of ATF and MTL would give good results.

Yep. I have straight Redline MTL in mine and it is notchy in the mornings now that it is "relatively" cold. 1st gear and reverse fight me pretty good till the box warms up a bit. Will likely go back to RP Synchromax for the winter.

sjbmw328i 11-25-2012 03:40 PM

thanks for everyone's input. another thing i was thinking of doing, i don't know if its necessary for better improvement, but should i flush out both the gear box and the differential? For my manual tranny, i am going to go with Fast Bob advice and do the 50/50 blend MTL/D4 ATF and i was wondering if i flush out my tranny fluid, does it matter which one i use to flush it out with? A quart of MTL or D4 ATF? Thanks

Fast Bob 11-25-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjbmw328i (Post 7213639)
thanks for everyone's input. another thing i was thinking of doing, i don't know if its necessary for better improvement, but should i flush out both the gear box and the differential? For my manual tranny, i am going to go with Fast Bob advice and do the 50/50 blend MTL/D4 ATF and i was wondering if i flush out my tranny fluid, does it matter which one i use to flush it out with? A quart of MTL or D4 ATF? Thanks

No need to flush it....just drain while it`s still warm. And make sure you loosen the FILL plug *before* draining the trans.... :D

sjbmw328i 11-25-2012 06:53 PM

Alright thanks fast bob. So there really is no better improvement if when you flush out something with new oil just to make sure your getting most or hopefully every little gunk or whatever bad oil stuff out?

Fast Bob 11-25-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjbmw328i (Post 7213972)
Alright thanks fast bob. So there really is no better improvement if when you flush out something with new oil just to make sure your getting most or hopefully every little gunk or whatever bad oil stuff out?

Have you ever *seen* the inside of a manual trans ? There`s PLENTY of clearance for the old fluid to drain out.... :rofl:

sjbmw328i 11-25-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 7214072)
Have you ever *seen* the inside of a manual trans ? There`s PLENTY of clearance for the old fluid to drain out.... :rofl:

To be honest, I haven't. Haha


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms