Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   No test drive during recall (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659364)

Awdnut 11-20-2012 04:29 PM

No test drive during recall

This morning, I just stopped by my local BMW dealer to test drive the X35d. I was told that BMW USA is having some kind of recall on the X35d, hence any X35d new or pre-owned on the lot cannot be test driven. Any truth on this one?

finnbmw 11-20-2012 05:17 PM

On another forum, members are reporting that there is a new Stop Sale Bulletin issued on the X5 Diesel related to a problem with a bolt attaching the engine drive belt pulley. This might be the reason for no test drive.

Supposedly, BMW NA is coming out with more information tomorrow....

Advocate 11-20-2012 06:05 PM

Dealer reporting bolt in power steering pulley as reported above. No one has heard of any failures so hopefully its fine for driving.

kadennjayce 11-20-2012 06:19 PM

Just bought a 2012 X5 Diesel this past weekend and got an email about the bolt today. I called a local dealership and they hadnt heard anything, so they wouldnt schedule an appointment. I am hoping this isnt a an issue.

mcopeman 11-20-2012 07:30 PM

I just ordered mine and will pick it up Thursday night... Hope it will be OK for pick-up...

Sent from my GT-P7500D using Bimmer App

arrivederci 11-21-2012 07:57 AM

Yes, had the same thing happen at my dealer although he did let me out on a short drive in the 35d. He said this was likely the last test drive until the fix was installed.

henrycyao 11-21-2012 08:41 AM

Hmm, at least they caught it early. I hope they announced it soon. I need to install the front license plate at the dealer. Might as well get it all done at the same time.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

UncleJ 11-21-2012 09:05 AM

Chippies catch you without a front plate Henry?:D

Marwan 11-21-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advocate (Post 7205891)
Dealer reporting bolt in power steering pulley as reported above. No one has heard of any failures so hopefully its fine for driving.

Not sure if my car's problem relates to this issue (http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...s-already.html) but it sure sounds suspiciously close.

Marwan 11-21-2012 12:43 PM

Has anyone heard anything new today? Couldn't find anything online...

kadennjayce 11-21-2012 01:43 PM

I contacted the local dealership today and they said there wasn't any mor information. That really helped

ChuckGr 11-21-2012 09:22 PM

I asked my SA today when I picked up my X5 35d today after having my rear brakes done. He looked it up on his computer and said that the recall was for a bolt that holds on a pulley which was manufactured incorrectly. They do not have any of the new parts yet.
Chuck

ard 11-21-2012 11:53 PM

I am having trouble understanding a 'recall' or "stop driving' that affetcts test drives but does NOT result in owners being told to stop driving.

BMW put out a stop driving on the new M5 due to oil pumps as catastrophic engine failure would follow- but ALL cars were stopped. Owners, test drives, etc.

Sounds like the salesman just didnt want to give you a test drive. Again, a real stop driving order goes to everyone. AFAIK

A

blair780 11-27-2012 06:39 AM

Stopped in this weekend to have diesel fluid added in my 2010. Came back later and was told there was a recall, they did not have the part and I could not leave with the car because it was a safety issue. Expected parts availability in a week +/-

kadennjayce 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

My local dealership called and told me the part was coming from Germany and it would be 3-4 weeks. I can't imagine it would take that long.

ard 11-27-2012 10:01 AM

What recall??

This thread is the only mention I can find of this recall....

sunnygps 11-27-2012 10:43 AM

I am confused about this one. My 2012 is finally built and at the dealer now. Picking it up tomorrow and the SA has not mentioned anything about the recall or he can't sell it to me.

kankou 11-27-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadennjayce (Post 7205911)
Just bought a 2012 X5 Diesel this past weekend and got an email about the bolt today. I called a local dealership and they hadnt heard anything, so they wouldnt schedule an appointment. I am hoping this isnt a an issue.

can you post the email you received?

Marwan 11-27-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7216776)
What recall??

This thread is the only mention I can find of this recall....

Here's a related thread on another forum... They're referring to a Stop Sale Bulletin though, not a recall...

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771155

ard 11-27-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marwan (Post 7217020)
Here's a related thread on another forum... They're referring to a Stop Sale Bulletin though, not a recall...

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771155

I know, basically the same thing, same people, cross posting...no recall, no confirmation, but people now being denied their cars for some unknown reason??? A 'stop sale' is not a recall. It is a communication to a car dealer that has power to prevent a sale due to the dealership agreement...but it has no bearing on a sold car.

And the recall posted over there is 6+ months old....

Marwan 11-27-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7217164)
I know, basically the same thing, same people, cross posting...no recall, no confirmation, but people now being denied their cars for some unknown reason??? A 'stop sale' is not a recall. It is a communication to a car dealer that has power to prevent a sale due to the dealership agreement...but it has no bearing on a sold car.

And the recall posted over there is 6+ months old....

Yep. Now there's another thread on that forum from someone being advised by their dealer not to drive their 2012 X5d before they "replace some bolts"... Go figure.

You might recall (no pun intended) the issue I had with the pulley and drive belt on my new 2012 X5d. I wonder if it's related... I'll pass by the dealer on my way back home today and see how much they know. At least mine is already fixed, if it's the same issue that is...

Marwan 11-27-2012 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here's what the dealers are receiving from BMW...

ChuckGr 11-27-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blair780 (Post 7216401)
Stopped in this weekend to have diesel fluid added in my 2010. Came back later and was told there was a recall, they did not have the part and I could not leave with the car because it was a safety issue. Expected parts availability in a week +/-

Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. If the X5 was delivered to you and you own it you can take it from the dealer unless you owe them money. My dealer let me take mine after service.

Chuck

Marwan 11-27-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckGr (Post 7217431)
Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. If the X5 was delivered to you and you own it you can take it from the dealer unless you owe them money. My dealer let me take mine after service.

Chuck

Agree fully. It doesn't make any sense for dealers to stop customers who are dropping their cars at the dealerships for whatever other reasons from picking up their cars... If BMW thought this issue is that serious, they would/should have contacted X5d owners already...

ndabunka 11-27-2012 06:46 PM

That notice makes it look like it is for every X5 diesel but it doesn't seem likely since it (appears) to have been a issue for 6 months now and it doesn't seem to be affecting ALL of the trucks built. Certainly, we would have heard more about it on these and other forums, wouldn't we? Instead I think there are only like 2 incidents in the past 6 months one of which is posting in this thread. Does anyone know if this is for EVERY X5 diesel or just a select number of VINs?