Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Unable to setup messages with iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659401)

Stealth.Pilot 11-20-2012 06:45 PM

Unable to setup messages with iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1

I have been unable to get messaging working between my iPhone 5 iOS 6.01 and my M5.

The issue is that once I pair the phone, and then go to configure bluetooth device, it doesn't have a checkbox for Office. It only has check boxes for Telephone, Audio, and Additional Telephone.

I also noticed that when I initially pair it, the iPhone bluetooth configuration does not have the check box for notifications. Once I exit the configuration process, it appears. I then turn notifications on, but the car still won't offer me a checkbox for Office.

Anyone solved this before?

wdimagineer 11-20-2012 07:51 PM

6.1 Beta or 6.0.1?

icu 11-20-2012 08:19 PM

I have now got SMS messages coming through into iDrive from my iPhone 4 with IOS6 on my 2011 335i.

You need to get the latest Bluetooth update from www.bmw.com/bluetooth , enter your VIN and put the firmware bin file on a USB stick and upload the file into your iDrive via the BMW Firmware Update section.

SMS messages will only work as the email part of the new IOS 6 pushing emails thru to the iDrive has a bug.

Delete the existing iPhone pairing and re-do.

Under Settings, Bluetooth in your iPhone, go to the devices connected where it shows your BMW has paired, open that and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then under Settings in your iPhone go to "Notications" then under each heading "Phone" "Messages" "Mail" make sure you have the following turned on:
Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

In iDrive you also need to tick "Office" in the bluetooth options. Then you get 3 options under "Office" in the main iDrive menu (Contacts, Office Today and Messages) where you can filter messages.

The TXT messages will only transfer to your idrive when your iPhone goes to sleep and has a blank screen (Locked) hence the View in Locked Screen, without this setting and your iphone has turned itself to Locked will the message be transferred, if you open the iPhone to view the messages they won't transfer to the iDrive, iPhone must turn itself to lock so set your iPhone to lock after 1 Minute in settings.

Emails are the same but that has a bug at the moment. Hopefully this should be fixed by Apple soon as it was working in their beta IOS6.

I'm pretty sure you need cars fitted with the Combox interface, so that means only recent models.

Enjoy!!

Stealth.Pilot 11-20-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdimagineer (Post 7206201)
6.1 beta or 6.0.1?

Stealth.Pilot 11-20-2012 08:48 PM

Icu - I am following the directions except I am not getting an option to check office under Bluetooth device configuration.

Needsdecaf 11-21-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icu (Post 7206255)
I have now got SMS messages coming through into iDrive from my iPhone 4 with IOS6 on my 2011 335i.

You need to get the latest Bluetooth update from www.bmw.com/bluetooth , enter your VIN and put the firmware bin file on a USB stick and upload the file into your iDrive via the BMW Firmware Update section.

SMS messages will only work as the email part of the new IOS 6 pushing emails thru to the iDrive has a bug.

Under Settings, Bluetooth in your iPhone, go to the devices connected where it shows your BMW has paired, open that and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then under Settings in your iPhone go to "Notications" then under each heading "Phone" "Messages" "Mail" make sure you have the following turned on:
Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

In iDrive you also need to tick "Office" in the bluetooth options. Then you get 3 options under "Office" in the main iDrive menu (Contacts, Office Today and Messages) where you can filter messages.

The TXT messages will only transfer to your idrive when your iPhone goes to sleep and has a blank screen (Locked) hence the View in Locked Screen, without this setting and your iphone has turned itself to Locked will the message be transferred, if you open the iPhone to view the messages they won't transfer to the iDrive, iPhone must turn itself to lock so set your iPhone to lock after 1 Minute in settings.

Emails are the same but that has a bug at the moment. Hopefully this should be fixed by Apple soon as it was working in their beta IOS6.

I'm pretty sure you need cars fitted with the Combox interface, so that means only recent models.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for this info! I don't see how to download the firmware once I input my VIN. I think this may be the root of my issue with sound quality on my iPhone 5 - people tell me it's horrible.

If you could help, would be appreciate. Thanks!

Mobileum 11-21-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7206774)
Thanks for this info! I don't see how to download the firmware once I input my VIN. I think this may be the root of my issue with sound quality on my iPhone 5 - people tell me it's horrible.

If you could help, would be appreciate. Thanks!

When you enter the seven last characters in your VIN, it will automaticly go to the next page. Perhaps your car already has the last one? Or perhaps try another browser? Or you can check your version nbr. in iDrive. The latest is MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.5 (drop all zeros)

Needsdecaf 11-21-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobileum (Post 7206832)
When you enter the seven last characters in your VIN, it will automaticly go to the next page. Perhaps your car already has the last one? Or perhaps try another browser? Or you can check your version nbr. in iDrive. The latest is MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.5 (drop all zeros)

When I enter my VIN, it asks for my version number, then gives me a choice of carrier and phone and displays features available. Nothing about software or anything like that.

Perhaps because I do not have COMBOX..... I was trying to update firmware because ever since I got the iPhone 5, people have complained that the sound quality from the microphone is terrible.

Mobileum 11-21-2012 10:53 AM

You are using the wrong web site. Go here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

wdimagineer 11-21-2012 12:03 PM

There's no update (yet) for cars with the latest iDrive. Our version numbers are different.

Stealth.Pilot 11-21-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdimagineer (Post 7207369)
There's no update (yet) for cars with the latest iDrive. Our version numbers are different.

Do you have an iPhone? We're you able to get this to work?

I was really looking forward to the dragondrive messaging. This is very disappointing. I had SMS on my 550i.

Needsdecaf 11-21-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobileum (Post 7207241)
You are using the wrong web site. Go here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...gion=&country=

Thanks. Says I am running the latest software. Hmmmm.

Stealth.Pilot 11-22-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 7207699)
Thanks. Says I am running the latest software. Hmmmm.

I wonder if this is an issue with iPhone 5 or iOS6.01.

When I was running iOS 6.0 on my old 4S messaging was working fine even on the M5.

Mobileum 11-22-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot (Post 7208708)
I wonder if this is an issue with iPhone 5 or iOS6.01.

When I was running iOS 6.0 on my old 4S messaging was working fine even on the M5.

Or both Apple and BMW

Isnīt fine an exaggeration?

- You had to change notification configuration each time you connected your phone to the car
- Only displayed messages that arrived when the phone was connected
- Unable to view saved messages

BMW announced an update in November/December. Let us see what will show up then.

tcandmm 11-22-2012 12:45 PM

For iPhone 5 running on OS 6.01 we can only get SMS message not e-mails, until further update from BMW/Apple.

Stealth.Pilot 11-22-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobileum (Post 7209075)
Or both Apple and BMW

Isnīt fine an exaggeration?

- You had to change notification configuration each time you connected your phone to the car
- Only displayed messages that arrived when the phone was connected
- Unable to view saved messages

BMW announced an update in November/December. Let us see what will show up then.

I did not have to toggle the notification settings each time I entered the car back in September.

And it has started working now and again I don't have to toggle anything.

mdernst 11-22-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot (Post 7209206)
And it has started working now and again I don't have to toggle anything.

Now when you say "working" can you be more specific? All I can get on mine is Text Messages that are received while I'm in the car and the phone is connected will show up on the iDrive screen. I can't reply to them nor originate a new message from the iDrive.

I don't have to toggle anything to get above "functionality" - and I use the term "functionality" very loosely... :)

Mike

Stealth.Pilot 11-22-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdernst (Post 7209257)
Now when you say "working" can you be more specific? All I can get on mine is Text Messages that are received while I'm in the car and the phone is connected will show up on the iDrive screen. I can't reply to them nor originate a new message from the iDrive.

I don't have to toggle anything to get above "functionality" - and I use the term "functionality" very loosely... :)

Mike

I am recieving text messages and emails that are recieved while I am in the car. To be honest that is good enough for me. The car is not where I catch up on email. However if my girlfriend or my assistant text me while I am driving I need to read it, and in some cases reply or call back.

So for my purposes, the main functionality that isnt working which I would like to work is the Dragon Drive messaging.

mdernst 11-22-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot (Post 7209331)
I am recieving text messages and emails that are recieved while I am in the car. To be honest that is good enough for me. The car is not where I catch up on email. However if my girlfriend or my assistant text me while I am driving I need to read it, and in some cases reply or call back.

So for my purposes, the main functionality that isnt working which I would like to work is the Dragon Drive messaging.

Do you have multiple email accounts set up on iPhone or just one?

Trying to figure out why some people seem to be getting emails show up and some, like me, not.

I'm also wondering if Dragon Drive Messaging might work if I turned iMessage OFF and just forced the phone to use SMS text messaging...

Mike

Stealth.Pilot 11-22-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdernst (Post 7209383)
Do you have multiple email accounts set up on iPhone or just one?

Trying to figure out why some people seem to be getting emails show up and some, like me, not.

I'm also wondering if Dragon Drive Messaging might work if I turned iMessage OFF and just forced the phone to use SMS text messaging...

Mike

I have multiple email accounts but I have only setup notifications on 2 of them.

I think this iMessage idea is interesting. I will try it.

tcandmm 11-23-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icu (Post 7206255)

Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

Enjoy!!

For the life of me I just cannot get my e-mails (only text) to come through, I have iPhone 5 OS 6.01 and I updated to the latest BMW firmware & turn on all the iphone notifications, can someone please help and so I don't pull anymore of my hair out.

Thanks.

Stealth.Pilot 11-23-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcandmm (Post 7209757)
For the life of me I just cannot get my e-mails (only text) to come through, I have iPhone 5 OS 6.01 and I updated to the latest BMW firmware & turn on all the iphone notifications, can someone please help and so I don't pull anymore of my hair out.

Thanks.

What I found was that after a couple of drives, a new option appeared on the iPhone. Under Bluetooth>BMWxxxxx>click on the little arrow to the right>notifications set to on. This then caused the messages to start working, although even then only messages that arrive while you are connected in the car, and not all unread messages.

tcandmm 11-23-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot (Post 7209908)
What I found was that after a couple of drives, a new option appeared on the iPhone. Under Bluetooth>BMWxxxxx>click on the little arrow to the right>notifications set to on. This then caused the messages to start working, although even then only messages that arrive while you are connected in the car, and not all unread messages.

I've research and done eveything, including updating software and turning on all the notification, but I am still not getting any e-mails for my iPhone 5 OS 6.01? Is there any other tricks (like walking away, turn on/off notification within certain time, dance around naked, etc.)

I'm desperate for anyone's help, thanks.

Stealth.Pilot 11-23-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcandmm (Post 7210288)
I've research and done eveything, including updating software and turning on all the notification, but I am still not getting any e-mails for my iPhone 5 OS 6.01? Is there any other tricks (like walking away, turn on/off notification within certain time, dance around naked, etc.)

I'm desperate for anyone's help, thanks.

I was in same situation as you a couple of days ago and it just started working.

nyranger74 11-23-2012 12:43 PM

This has actually been discussed many times. Apple does not want emails to be accessed, only SMS. However there is a bug in which email can be displayed under SMS not E-mails. Each time you start the car, let the phone pair with the car, then on the iphone go into Settings--Notifications--Mail--Show, then change the number of unread items to something else. If 5 Unread is checked, then change to 10 unread Items, or vice versa. This has to be done everytime you start the car up. As I said, its a bug in the system, and will probably not work in future iOS versions.