Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Pulling trigger next week, last-minute advice (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659659)

lrchmbl 11-22-2012 12:44 AM

Pulling trigger next week, last-minute advice

Everybody-

All of the research I've done from your bounty of posts has led me to the following build. Considerations that went in include: as much as I love the I-6, fuel efficiency and the extra 4k right off the bat pretty much killed the 335; I'm used to driving Subarus, so I like the feel of AWD, plus being able to get around when visiting my grandparents in lake-effect snow land (Rochester, NY) is important to me (hill descent control is nice, too); I love the EBII/Coral Red combo, so M-Sport is a must; to keep the sportiness, ZDH is also a must; lighting (duh); cold weather for those visits mentioned above; I love my creature comforts and tech, so premium package (plus the sports packages that come with SiriusXM) and tech package go right in, and music keeps me sane on long trips, so the HK is going in; finally, you all say that the sport tranny is great, and test drives have confirmed this. Here goes:

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
Estoril Blue Metallic Paint
M Sport Line
18" M Alloy Wheels 400M w/ Mixed Tires
Highlight Trim Black High Gloss
Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
Sport Auto Transmission w/Paddles
Harmon Kardon Surround System
Total Price: $48,725.00 + D&H

This is a military overseas sale, so that's why th price is so low (relatively speaking). I'm also planning on getting the BMW 17" cold-weather wheel/tire package for the winter. Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and sorry about the wall of (con)text.

tturedraider 11-22-2012 01:08 AM

I would recommend park distance control and the rear view camera. BMW's rear view camera is really good. It displays excellent lines that are super helpful. My parents have a rear entry/alley garage and a really shallow driveway. My car does not have PDC and I wish it did everytime I back out of their driveway.

floydarogers 11-22-2012 07:51 AM

Pretty heavily loaded! I like that color combo, too, but like more muted/understated colors personally.

Only thing I can think of (you're building a cold-wx car) is heated steering wheel.

You can save money by buying a set of winter tires and wheels from tirerack rather than from BMW - possibly as much as $800.

SD330i 11-24-2012 12:46 AM

Nice !!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrchmbl (Post 7208393)
Everybody-

All of the research I've done from your bounty of posts has led me to the following build. Considerations that went in include: as much as I love the I-6, fuel efficiency and the extra 4k right off the bat pretty much killed the 335; I'm used to driving Subarus, so I like the feel of AWD, plus being able to get around when visiting my grandparents in lake-effect snow land (Rochester, NY) is important to me (hill descent control is nice, too); I love the EBII/Coral Red combo, so M-Sport is a must; to keep the sportiness, ZDH is also a must; lighting (duh); cold weather for those visits mentioned above; I love my creature comforts and tech, so premium package (plus the sports packages that come with SiriusXM) and tech package go right in, and music keeps me sane on long trips, so the HK is going in; finally, you all say that the sport tranny is great, and test drives have confirmed this. Here goes:

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
M Sport Line
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package

This is a military overseas sale, so that's why th price is so low (relatively speaking). I'm also planning on getting the BMW 17" cold-weather wheel/tire package for the winter. Any comments/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and sorry about the wall of (con)text.

I noticed you are in Bahrain currently. Are you in the Navy ? I had a friend who was stationed in Bahrain a few years ago , and loved it. There for One year. If so. thank you for your service to Our Country. I Love Estoril Blue , Second favorite color Combo besides our Melbourne Red. Enjoy your new Bimmer :thumbup::bigpimp:;)

boltjaM3s 11-24-2012 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7208403)
I would recommend park distance control and the rear view camera. BMW's rear view camera is really good. It displays excellent lines that are super helpful. My parents have a rear entry/alley garage and a really shallow driveway. My car does not have PDC and I wish it did everytime I back out of their driveway.

+1

PDC and rear camera are extremely useful.

BJ

CALWATERBOY 11-24-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Everybody-

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
M Sport Line
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package

No shortwave? Dude. Keep in touch with the folks in Bahrain.

lrchmbl 11-27-2012 10:47 AM

One more question, as I haven't seen a really good answer for it here. Anti-theft system. Useful or redundant?
Thanks on the rear view camera and PDC. I'll be living in Arlington, so that should really help. Going in the build.

SD330i - Yup, I'm navy, and you're quite welcome. Thanks for paying for my (mostly-useless) degree.

tturedraider 11-27-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrchmbl (Post 7217043)
One more question, as I haven't seen a really good answer for it here. Anti-theft system. Useful or redundant?
Thanks on the rear view camera and PDC. I'll be living in Arlington, so that should really help. Going in the build.

SD330i - Yup, I'm navy, and you're quite welcome. Thanks for paying for my (mostly-useless) degree.

BMWs aren't stolen a lot, but technology crime seems to be making them more vulnerable lately. I'd get it. It includes a tilt sensor and also an interior motion detector. It's a pretty good system and, unlike on past models, it cannot be added after the fact.

Whatever your degree you're getting the finest management training in the U.S. bar none! I don't know your age, but what ever it is you have more responsibility right now than any of your peers in business. And that training and experience is going to benefit you throughout your career. :thumbup:

lrchmbl 11-29-2012 07:22 AM

Trigger pulled! Added the PDC, RVC and anti-theft, and got RWD instead of xDrive to keep it under 50k. I figure in Northern VA I'll be fine with just a set of snow tires on it. Apparently military sales get the short end of the stick on allocations, so I don't get a VIN until January, but come March, this sucker is mine!

rtgirard 11-29-2012 07:48 AM

Congratulations! Enjoy the excruciating wait!

bmwocean 11-29-2012 12:06 PM

There is not much difference in fuel efficiency between 328 and 335 that u would notice, yes difference in price - but 335 is a better machine and worth that extra cash.

Quote:

Everybody-

2013 BMW 328i xDrive
M Sport Line
Performance Summer Tires
Coral Red Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
Premium Package
Technology Package

lrchmbl 11-29-2012 12:20 PM

Too late, man. Ordered. Woo!
On a serious note, yes it's a great machine, but 50k is already a large chunk of change for anything that's not a house, and the extra 4k just wasn't worth it in my book, especially since I'm going to be spending that on the maintenance upgrade and a set of winter wheels/tires. Appreciate the input, though!

boltjaM3s 11-29-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrchmbl (Post 7220828)
Trigger pulled! Added the PDC, RVC and anti-theft, and got RWD instead of xDrive to keep it under 50k. I figure in Northern VA I'll be fine with just a set of snow tires on it. Apparently military sales get the short end of the stick on allocations, so I don't get a VIN until January, but come March, this sucker is mine!

Smart moves all around, congrats.

BJ

lrchmbl 12-16-2012 10:30 AM

VIN is IN! Two/three weeks earlier than promised, which means mid-late February delivery. I am very excited! (Sorry, bank account.)

tturedraider 12-16-2012 11:22 AM

Cool. Do military sales qualify for U.S. sales incentives? If so and you get your car before 1 March or so you would make it in under the 60 day lock. Are you aware there is USAA incentive also?

lrchmbl 12-16-2012 11:28 AM

Unfortunately not. Since BMW runs the military sales program themselves from Munich, we don't get any of the fun incentives, and since I'm not financing, most wouldn't apply to me anyway.

vonmayr 12-16-2012 11:33 AM

Enjoy the new car! And the change of scenery from Bahrain to Virginia ;)

tturedraider 12-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrchmbl (Post 7253653)
Unfortunately not. Since BMW runs the military sales program themselves from Munich, we don't get any of the fun incentives, and since I'm not financing, most wouldn't apply to me anyway.

Just a thought, that may not matter much to you since investment yields are so low right now - are you aware Pentagon FCU is offering 1.49% up to 60 months? If your money is doing better than that financing might be a worthwhile option. If you haven't joined PenFed yet you should. I imagine you've already joined Navy Federal.

lrchmbl 12-16-2012 12:42 PM

I thought about it, but I'm already going to be paying ~2600 in rent/utilities/parking fees every month, and I just don't want to have to deal with a monthly payment.