Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   US/Canadian Diesel (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659753)

Thomv 11-22-2012 10:34 AM

US/Canadian Diesel

Newbie 09 X5 335d owner. While I am on the cold side of Washington State, so I expect my fuel will be adjusted for cold weather, thus alleviating a year issues while being parked in ski areas, is Canadian fuel similarly adjusted or do I need to use an additive? My rig will sit for a few days without being started. Is there anything else I need to worry about?

Thks in advance

DZLMAN 11-22-2012 10:58 AM

Hi and welcome, as far as I know fuel standards are the same US or Canada, price varies, generally in Canada its more expensive. Refining standards for Ultra low sulphur diesel north america wide is the same. For extra peace of mind, I'd put Shell's Ultra Diesel or Husky's Diesel Max when in Canada, these 2 have a mix of helpful additives already added on.

floydarogers 11-22-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZLMAN (Post 7209030)
Hi and welcome, as far as I know fuel standards are the same US or Canada, price varies, generally in Canada its more expensive. Refining standards for Ultra low sulphur diesel north america wide is the same. For extra peace of mind, I'd put Shell's Ultra Diesel or Husky's Diesel Max when in Canada, these 2 have a mix of helpful additives already added on.

I grew up in Wenatchee, learned to ski at Mission Ridge...

I wouldn't worry; the fuel you get in BC either comes from the Husky refinery in Burnaby, or the Chevron in Prince George - both probably have the same anti-gell ingredients. And they're probably the same you get in Wenatchee (which might get diesel from Spokane/Billings - not sure.) Battery is going to be the gating factor - make sure it's in good shape. You'll probably notice a pause after you hit the start button while the glow plugs heat up.

Kanuck 11-22-2012 12:55 PM

Fuel should not be a problem. If it is very cold, DEF in unheated tank can freeze and not get pumped into the smaller heated tank. This is more of an annoyance than a problem.

BB_cuda 12-18-2012 05:57 PM

It would seem to me that when the Germans have to start using DEF, i bet both passive and active tanks will be heated. I live in Houston so this poses no isse for me except when i drive to see family. I would think a company that is has Alpine regions all around it would consider this when designing emission systems for North America especially at the higher cost we pay for the extra equipment.

DnA Diesel 12-19-2012 06:02 PM

For extended periods of cold where the passive tank may freeze and not thaw enough to be pumped into the active tank, I have just topped up the active tank if I ever get the DEF refill warning.

Enjoy the big D!

Cheers
D.

AutoUnion 12-23-2012 04:35 PM

I heard that Canuck diesel is better than USA?

DnA Diesel 12-26-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoUnion (Post 7267751)
I heard that Canuck diesel is better than USA?

At the very least, Canadian diesel has a higher lubricity specification than US diesel -- approximately 13% better lubricity (100% x (520Ám[US]-460Ám[CAN])/460Ám[CAN]).

Cheers
D.

kanar200 12-26-2012 03:51 PM

actually Europeans pay more even without the extra equipment

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB_cuda (Post 7258360)
It would seem to me that when the Germans have to start using DEF, i bet both passive and active tanks will be heated. I live in Houston so this poses no isse for me except when i drive to see family. I would think a company that is has Alpine regions all around it would consider this when designing emission systems for North America especially at the higher cost we pay for the extra equipment.

DC-IT 12-26-2012 04:08 PM

I just came back from a vacation in Bali, Indonesia and Diesel + RUG is only 4,500 Rupiah or 49 cents/Litre!:cry:
But the roads and traffic are horrendous!