Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   You have $2000 and a 2007 e90 335i w/ sport pkg!! What do you do?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659782)

Zain1003 11-22-2012 04:02 PM

You have $2000 and a 2007 e90 335i w/ sport pkg!! What do you do??
 
3 Attachment(s)
I recently bought an 07 e90 335i equipped with the sport package. The paint is "Crimson Red" i believe.

I am looking to dump around 2 grand into a couple mods, possibly more if someone here can convince me its worth it =D.

Here is a rough guideline of what I would like:

-Good sounding mufflers (your opinion obviously) (do not want a full exhaust)(not too loud, i like just a healthy athletic sounding purr)

-18 inch rims, (What width would fit well front and back? and i need some help with the offset.) (Id like them to be black, i like the look) (They must not be too expensive and i would like to be able to fit the stock 225/40/18 Front and 255/40/18 Rear tires on it, but still go as wide as those tires would allow)

-I dont know much about the different tunes for the 335, i know cobb is one of the good ones. Please give me a bit of info on pricing and ballpark power gains.

Also, feel free to throw in ANY little less noticable tasteful modifications you like on a e90!

Use your imagination, what you got for 2 grand?? (about):dunno:


Not my car, but looks exactly like this:

CALWATERBOY 11-22-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zain1003 (Post 7209260)
I recently bought an 07 e90 335i equipped with the sport package. The paint is "Crimson Red" i believe.

I am looking to dump around 2 grand into a couple mods, possibly more if someone here can convince me its worth it =D.

Here is a rough guideline of what I would like:

-Good sounding mufflers (your opinion obviously) (do not want a full exhaust)(not too loud, i like just a healthy athletic sounding purr)

Not a performance priority.

-18 inch rims, (What width would fit well front and back? and i need some help with the offset.) (Id like them to be black, i like the look) (They must not be too expensive and i would like to be able to fit the stock 225/40/18 Front and 255/40/18 Rear tires on it, but still go as wide as those tires would allow)

What, you have a sport pkg w/o 18" rims?

-I dont know much about the different tunes for the 335, i know cobb is one of the good ones. Please give me a bit of info on pricing and ballpark power gains.

JB4 - read all about it but do suspension mods first.


Also, feel free to throw in ANY little less noticable tasteful modifications you like on a e90!

Your suspension is, put mildly, weak. Start with a Limited Slip Differential ~1K + install.

Move to matched shocks & springs. $1k gets you FSD's for use with stock springs.

Oh dear, out o'cash! Start savin' for those M parts....

And prepare for repairs.

.

Zain1003 11-22-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7209336)
Also, feel free to throw in ANY little less noticable tasteful modifications you like on a e90!


Your suspension is, put mildly, weak. Start with a Limited Slip Differential ~1K + install.

Move to matched shocks & springs. $1k gets you FSD's for use with stock springs.

Oh dear, out o'cash! Start savin' for those M parts...
.

I'm not looking for on track performance. I'm looking for a cruiser that sounds nice and looks nice and has a bit extra power on the highway.

Don't need suspension or an LSD for that. I do have 18 inch rims I just do not like how those 18s look. As I said.. I want a set of black ones unless I can get a good deal on some real rims like bbs's or something.

I really appreciate your input and will absolutely look into that tune. Thanks :D

CALWATERBOY 11-22-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zain1003 (Post 7209343)
I'm not looking for on track performance. I'm looking for a cruiser that sounds nice and looks nice and has a bit extra power on the highway.

Don't need suspension or an LSD for that. I do have 18 inch rims I just do not like how those 18s look. As I said.. I want a set of black ones unless I can get a good deal on some real rims like bbs's or something.

I really appreciate your input and will absolutely look into that tune. Thanks :D


Tune'll give you more power, but magnify suspension deficiencies.

If you're looking for a cosmetic redo, maybe I'm not the guy to talk to. FSD's solve the egregious 'pothole explosion' issue afflicting pre-2011 E9x - you'll like that.

LSD puts power to the road in a way that can be felt @ 5 mph, and greatly assists handling.

The rear end of these cars is distant. I'm tellin' ya, money spent on suspension work will flat put a smile on your face, but ain't cheap. Read about M parts, especially sways and rear subframe bushings - here's a good place. Sooner or later, you'll want this stuff.

Suspension mods also enable existing power to be put down efficiently - you may find you don't want a tune if the suspension's fixed, as tunes can make the car somewhat edgy.

Good thing is, extensive mods available, whatever direction you go.

.

Zain1003 11-22-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7209356)
Tune'll give you more power, but magnify suspension deficiencies.

If you're looking for a cosmetic redo, maybe I'm not the guy to talk to. FSD's solve the egregious 'pothole explosion' issue afflicting pre-2011 E9x - you'll like that.

LSD puts power to the road in a way that can be felt @ 5 mph, and greatly assists handling.

The rear end of these cars is distant. I'm tellin' ya, money spent on suspension work will flat put a smile on your face, but ain't cheap. Read about M parts, especially sways and rear subframe bushings - here's a good place. Sooner or later, you'll want this stuff.

Suspension mods also enable existing power to be put down efficiently - you may find you don't want a tune if the suspension's fixed, as tunes can make the car somewhat edgy.

Good thing is, extensive mods available, whatever direction you go.

Right on. I am starting to rethink what I spend the cash on. An LSD is tempting as power put down to the ground is more important than what you get on a dyno. And I definitely don't want to compromise the everyday drivability by making it "edgy" as you said. I truly appreciate your input.


Would a possible jb4 make the car any less comfortable to just cruise down the street in on a long drive where comfort is priority? Because let's be honest, that sort of power at that very low cost is extremely tempting. What are the downsides of jb4?

Db750 11-22-2012 05:37 PM

Congratulations on your new car! I just picked up my 335i a few weeks ago and have been thinking about a few mods as well, but don't want to spend too much.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Wheels: (about $1000)

VMR V710 in black staggered 19x9 front and 19x10 rear
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...658416c353.jpg

There are some other wheels on eBay that look the same, but I am not sure of the quality. They are priced around $595 for a staggered set of four.

2. Tires: ( guessing $650-$1000 check tire rack)

Budget: Hankook V12: very nice tire, good grip, somewhat harsh ride. Will most likely put these on the 335i this summer.
Best: Michelin Pilot Super Sport: superb grip, quiet, firm ride. Have them on The M6.

3. Performance: JB4 and DCI. I will be ordering this soon. Seems to be the best bang for the buck performance wise. ($600)

4. Cosmetic: I don't like much chrome on my BMWs, but if you are running black wheels it has to go.

-black and white roundels ($60)
-paint grill surround black and leave vertical slats chrome - see my signature and paint 335i badge black ($5)
-vinyl wrap chrome window trim and chrome on front bumper ($40)
-tint side markers and orange in headlamps ($20)

Of course if you go with 18's you will use existing tires a d save on wheels. I will let other members comment on exhausts as I do not plan on adding one and have not researched one. Not sure how a muffler delete sounds on this car, but you will be limited on both wheels and exhaust with a $2000 budget.

andrew b 11-22-2012 05:37 PM

Used Cobb and a set of Apex EC-7s. Apex wheels are very lightweight (some under 19 pounds each), rotary forged (strong), well made, and not priced out of this world. Arc-8s are even lighter than the EC-7s.

galahad05 11-22-2012 05:46 PM

I like the OZ Racing Ultraleggeras.

http://i.imgur.com/Gp0Uw.png


A full set will save you 20 pounds of unsprung weight versus the stock wheels.

I use these as my winter setup.

Zain1003 11-22-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Db750 (Post 7209366)
Congratulations on your new car! I just picked up my 335i a few weeks ago and have been thinking about a few mods as well, but don't want to spend too much.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Wheels: (about $1000)

VMR V710 in black staggered 19x9 front and 19x10 rear
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...658416c353.jpg

There are some other wheels on eBay that look the same, but I am not sure of the quality. They are priced around $595 for a staggered set of four.

2. Tires: ( guessing $650-$1000 check tire rack)

Budget: Hankook V12: very nice tire, good grip, somewhat harsh ride. Will most likely put these on the 335i this summer.
Best: Michelin Pilot Super Sport: superb grip, quiet, firm ride. Have them on The M6.

3. Performance: JB4 and DCI. I will be ordering this soon. Seems to be the best bang for the buck performance wise. ($600)

4. Cosmetic: I don't like much chrome on my BMWs, but if you are running black wheels it has to go.

-black and white roundels ($60)
-paint grill surround black and leave vertical slats chrome - see my signature and paint 335i badge black ($5)
-vinyl wrap chrome window trim and chrome on front bumper ($40)
-tint side markers and orange in headlamps ($20)

Of course if you go with 18's you will use existing tires a d save on wheels. I will let other members comment on exhausts as I do not plan on adding one and have not researched one. Not sure how a muffler delete sounds on this car, but you will be limited on both wheels and exhaust with a $2000 budget.

Thanks that is a lot of what I was looking for. Much appreciated. And yes the chrome will have to go. I don't like chrome regardless in most cases. And the m6 grille looks great. :thumbup:

Zain1003 11-22-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galahad05 (Post 7209376)
I like the OZ Racing Ultraleggeras.

http://i.imgur.com/Gp0Uw.png


A full set will save you 20 pounds of unsprung weight versus the stock wheels.

I use these as my winter setup.

I love those rims and losing that significant of an amount of unsprung weight is great. But I am limited by a budget. Those rims are a bit pricey for me.

Zain1003 11-22-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew b (Post 7209367)
Used Cobb and a set of Apex EC-7s.

I am very new to BMW tuning. Please elaborate a bit if you have the time. Thanks!

alpinweiss 11-22-2012 06:29 PM

My first $2000 (for modifications) would go for:
1. Euro tail lights, with amber rear turn signals.
2. A set of attractive wheel rims and tires.

:drive:

Squidget 11-22-2012 06:40 PM

For your stated goals, you definitely don't need sways or LSD. I would agree with Cal that you should still consider the Koni FSDs though. By all anecdotal evidence, they will deliver a better ride over cracked pavement, even if you don't care about the improved cornering.

I'll read between the lines: you listed more power as last, and said you just wanted a "little." Given that it's a low priority for you, and your low budget, I'd say forget about tuning the engine. Your money would be better spent on good rims and cosmetics, the stuff you'll really use and notice every day.

Zain1003 11-22-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 7209425)
My first $2000 (for modifications) would go for:
1. Euro tail lights, with amber rear turn signals.
2. A set of attractive wheel rims and tires.

:drive:

http://www.bimmian.com/Blackline-Len...r-E91-3-Series

210 bucks for euro tails. pretty impressive price right?

CALLAWAY845 11-22-2012 06:43 PM

The first thing I would advise you to purchase is a new steering wheel. I purchased one for my '09 328i; the M sports steering wheel is amazing. It is the only part in the car that you are in almost constant contact with (besides the seat). Tischer has them for $425 right now. Trust me...make this upgrade

Zain1003 11-22-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALLAWAY845 (Post 7209439)
The first thing I would advise you to purchase is a new steering wheel. I purchased one for my '09 328i; the M sports steering wheel is amazing. It is the only part in the car that you are in almost constant contact with (besides the seat). Tischer has them for $425 right now. Trust me...make this upgrade


That sounds like an upgrade that i am willing to do. I am going to look into it right now. what was installation like? how much did it cost?

EDIT: Also, what is better about it than the steering wheel you get with the sport package? (which looks very similar though not as nice)

Db750 11-22-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALLAWAY845 (Post 7209439)
The first thing I would advise you to purchase is a new steering wheel. I purchased one for my '09 328i; the M sports steering wheel is amazing. It is the only part in the car that you are in almost constant contact with (besides the seat). Tischer has them for $425 right now. Trust me...make this upgrade

This is a great suggestion!

CALLAWAY845 11-22-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zain1003 (Post 7209441)
That sounds like an upgrade that i am willing to do. I am going to look into it right now. what was installation like? how much did it cost?

EDIT: Also, what is better about it than the steering wheel you get with the sport package? (which looks very similar though not as nice)

Hello Zain1003. I was going to do the installation myself, as it looked quite easy, but I ended up bringing it to my indy. He did it for $90. The new steering wheel is much improved over the sports steering wheel that came with my car. The M series wheel gives you the option of perforated leather, and has an enhanced feel. Being an '09, the steering wheel was getting shiny and slick. The new steering wheel is the same steering wheel found on an M3. Just make sure you get the correct one, with or without paddles.

CALLAWAY845 11-22-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Db750 (Post 7209451)
This is a great suggestion!

Thank you ! :)

tturedraider 11-22-2012 11:35 PM

never mind.

Zain1003 11-22-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 7209721)
never mind.

???

You hadn't said anything.

SD Z4MR 11-23-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zain1003 (Post 7209723)
???

You hadn't said anything.

Notice that he edited his post. He probably said something, posted it, then changed his mind, and edited the original comment because you can't delete a post on Bimmerfest.

Been around forums much?

My opinions:

$2K ain't gonna go far. There are plenty of exhaust systems around, including the BMW performance exhaust, but they will easily chew most if not all and more of that $2K.

New wheels and tires? Also not cheap. Don't buy cheap wheels and a decent set (check out Apex Racing Parts, a sponsor here) and decent tires will also eat up that $2k and more.

These are the two mods that sound like they're most likely what you want based on your original post, but do both of them and you looking at more like $3-5K.

The cheapest "tasteful" mod? Less than a hundred bucks for matte black grilles. That and a few bucks at Home Depot for a can of Plasti-Dip to black out your the 335i badge on your trunk.

Zain1003 11-23-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Z4MR (Post 7209777)
Notice that he edited his post. He probably said something, posted it, then changed his mind, and edited the original comment because you can't delete a post on Bimmerfest.

Been around forums much?

My opinions:

$2K ain't gonna go far. There are plenty of exhaust systems around, including the BMW performance exhaust, but they will easily chew most if not all and more of that $2K.

New wheels and tires? Also not cheap. Don't buy cheap wheels and a decent set (check out Apex Racing Parts, a sponsor here) and decent tires will also eat up that $2k and more.

These are the two mods that sound like they're most likely what you want based on your original post, but do both of them and you looking at more like $3-5K.

The cheapest "tasteful" mod? Less than a hundred bucks for matte black grilles. That and a few bucks at Home Depot for a can of Plasti-Dip to black out your the 335i badge on your trunk.

Oh I see it says edited on the bottom there.


Anyway, if you read the original post then you'd see I do not want a full exhaust. Therefore a set of mufflers will not cost 2k.
Additionally, just because wheels are not expensive doesnt mean they are not useable. Bremmer Kraft wheels from tirerack.com have gotten good reviews. Though they are not lightweight.


From the research I've done it seems that a jb4 and koni fsd are where a bulk of my money will go.

As far as blacking the kidneys and the 335, I am planning on doing that. Also planning on getting black and white roundels. Found a set of 7 for 20 bucks on the above posted website that had the tail lights for cheap, if anyone else is interested. :thumbup:

Romanianbimmer 11-23-2012 08:58 AM

Or you could de-badge it and make it In to a sleeper.

Zain1003 11-23-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanianbimmer (Post 7209981)
Or you could de-badge it and make it In to a sleeper.

I was also thinking about this. Actually I was thinking of just doing a jb4 install and fsd and leaving it visually stock. Only those who know about bimmers know the 335i is packing a twin turbo! It's naturally a sleeper.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms