Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   European Delivery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Best Top Down ED Touring/Timing? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659899)

ekbimmer 11-23-2012 09:50 AM

Best Top Down ED Touring/Timing?
 
We're entering the purchase process for ED M3 convertible and are receptive to general or even specific advice from "been there done that" ED bimmers re 2 week touring Germany, Austria, East/SE France, Italy especially as relates to warmer than frigid ambients so we can hopefully enjoy a bit of top down driving in the gorgeous countryside. Since our choice involves V8 M3 and we've heard that production is scheduled to end sometime in June, then that's a factor. Fact that snow tires are required up to mid April seems significant. We realize that weather is totally unpredictable, but seasonal trends count for something.

M FUNF 11-23-2012 11:21 AM

Mid May to mid June should fit your requirements about right.

JSpira 11-23-2012 12:51 PM

I would concur, although mid-May through late June sounds good to me.

M FUNF 11-23-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSpira (Post 7210327)
I would concur, although mid-May through late June sounds good to me.

Great minds think alike! Wish I had one.:rofl:

ekbimmer 11-23-2012 01:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Except for "high season" crunch, late June would be ideal as far as getting away if it's not too late to order the car for then. This may be a question for the dealer forum, but here goes - Does anyone have good idea just when BMW is stopping production of the V8 M3? In other words, just how late might we wait as far as ordering ours? Also, we don't want to miss out by waiting too long.

M FUNF 11-23-2012 02:19 PM

You can order the car now if you wish just specify the delivery date. The car will not be built until a couple of weeks prior to pick up. If production ends sooner you will end up with one of the last cars built.

ekbimmer 11-23-2012 04:05 PM

Still, too close to end of production in my mind is to be avoided, especially if somehow date gets moved up late in the process - reservations and travel plans in general and all that to be considered. Suggestion that we can we actually order now, November, 2012 and pick date in May or June is great. However, the rep we've started correspondence with advised us not to order until Jan 2. That's coincidentally the beginning of a new year. So, who's right? Also, a buddy of mine did the ED for a Z4M which was scheduled for end of August, 2012, but somehow was delayed and they took delivery several days later of 2013 Z4M instead. All ended well. Hey, it's a 2013. Be happy. But he and wife were a little shaken. Granted, '13 Z4 vs '12Z4 is not the same as design change for M3.

Tanning machine 11-26-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekbimmer (Post 7210112)
We're entering the purchase process for ED M3 convertible and are receptive to general or even specific advice from "been there done that" ED bimmers re 2 week touring Germany, Austria, East/SE France, Italy especially as relates to warmer than frigid ambients so we can hopefully enjoy a bit of top down driving in the gorgeous countryside. Since our choice involves V8 M3 and we've heard that production is scheduled to end sometime in June, then that's a factor. Fact that snow tires are required up to mid April seems significant. We realize that weather is totally unpredictable, but seasonal trends count for something.

Just avoid Italy south of the Alps after June and you'll be fine. Bring jackets and keep the top down through the Alps!

boothguy 11-26-2012 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For my money, there's nothing quite like Tuscany in late May/ early June for top-down motoring that truly justifies the whole ED experience. Lots of beautiful scenery, great food, great wine, wonderful people, good roads with very little traffic. So good it's almost impossible to screw it up. You don't really need an itinerary. You can literally flip a coin between the two villages listed on the direction signs at the next intersection, because you'll find something great in each one, and there will be scenes like the one below (near Montalcino) to keep you relaxed on the way there and back.

SD Z4MR 11-26-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekbimmer (Post 7210538)
Also, a buddy of mine did the ED for a Z4M which was scheduled for end of August, 2012, but somehow was delayed and they took delivery several days later of 2013 Z4M instead.

It couldn't have been a Z4 M because those were only made from 2006 to 2008 and all Z4 M models were made in Spartanburg, SC, hence no EDs. This was the E85 (Roadster) and E86 (Coupe) chassis. The one is my sig pic is a 2006 Z4 M Roadster (E85).

If you're speaking of the newer and current E89 Z4 chassis, BMW has not (yet) offered a ///M model. The Z4 sDrive 35is (awful name) is considered to be the E89 "replacement" for the E85 Z4 M, although it has EPS and only comes with a DCT, whereas all Z4 M models came with hydraulic steering and were only offered with a 6MT. At any rate whatever your buddy picked up in Munich was not a ///M.

ekbimmer 11-26-2012 03:49 PM

I attempted to reply via private message with picture of Welt compliance since this is not my car to share with forum. Likely, you'll positively ID exact configuration. Bimmerfest advised your stored messages are maxed out. I'll probably have to send via regular email address, though.

SD Z4MR 11-26-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekbimmer (Post 7215427)
I attempted to reply via private message with picture of Welt compliance since this is not my car to share with forum. Likely, you'll positively ID exact configuration. Bimmerfest advised your stored messages are maxed out. I'll probably have to send via regular email address, though.

Yeah, I get a lot of PMs! I didn't realize it was full, I'm cleaning out my Inbox now.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms