Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   128i vent valve leaking... How serious is this? DIY? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659919)

ChocolateLab 11-23-2012 12:40 PM

128i vent valve leaking... How serious is this? DIY?

Sorry guys, I did search, didn't find much...

Was about to buy a 128i but it has a leaking vent valve. Dealer fixed other issues with the car but only reset the SES light on this one because they said it wasn't a critical issue.

Is this just an emissions problem that isn't that big a deal? Is it something I can fix? I'm no super mechanic, but I'm coming from an e46 where most problems could be fixed relatively easily.

Thanks for any help... Was going to get the car tonight, now not sure.

MINI+BMWtek 11-28-2012 07:39 PM

Tank ventilation valve? not as easy to replace like e46

JimD1 12-04-2012 05:03 AM

The dealer probably just reset the light because this code normally comes when you don't tighten the gas cap properly. My SUV is a Suzuki and it threw the evap code when new. The dealer wanted to demonstrate how to tighten the gas cap to us. My late wife got tired of it and told me to take it in myself. I talked them into running a smoke test. They discovered the pump that was to pull vacumn to check the system was bad. It was replaced and no more codes.

I would get the dealer to state in writing that they will fix this if it happens again or ask them for a smoke test now. All they have to do is put the car on the lift and get their smoke pen.

Jim

mr29 12-19-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimD1 (Post 7229869)
The dealer probably just reset the light because this code normally comes when you don't tighten the gas cap properly. My SUV is a Suzuki and it threw the evap code when new. The dealer wanted to demonstrate how to tighten the gas cap to us. My late wife got tired of it and told me to take it in myself. I talked them into running a smoke test. They discovered the pump that was to pull vacumn to check the system was bad. It was replaced and no more codes.

I would get the dealer to state in writing that they will fix this if it happens again or ask them for a smoke test now. All they have to do is put the car on the lift and get their smoke pen.

Jim

good info to know here

DrT 01-05-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimD1 (Post 7229869)

Jim

I had this happen on a brand new 2011 Honda Accord V6. Threw the code after 1 hour of driving the car off the lot. Took the car in next day and dealer had to replace the entire gas tank system. Cause rats had chew the electrics.

mr_bean 01-06-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChocolateLab (Post 7210316)
Sorry guys, I did search, didn't find much...

Was about to buy a 128i but it has a leaking vent valve. Dealer fixed other issues with the car but only reset the SES light on this one because they said it wasn't a critical issue.

Is this just an emissions problem that isn't that big a deal? Is it something I can fix? I'm no super mechanic, but I'm coming from an e46 where most problems could be fixed relatively easily.

Thanks for any help... Was going to get the car tonight, now not sure.

Do you know the specific error code that was triggering the SES? I recently had one relating to the evap system and the problem was solved with a software up date by the dealer.