Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 Series DIY (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Oil Filter Housing Gasket - Replacement (M54) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660007)

kskane 11-23-2012 11:13 PM

Oil Filter Housing Gasket - Replacement (M54)

1 Attachment(s)
Refer to the PDF and if anyone has any problem with the file, let me know and I will post it again. This DIY is for 2004 525i with M54 engine.

langstisthebb 11-26-2012 06:33 PM

Very helpful! I was able to follow these steps and successfully complete the oil filter housing gasket replacement. Do you happen to have any instructions on replacing the heat exchange gasket? This is also leaking.

kskane 11-28-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by langstisthebb (Post 7215739)
Very helpful! I was able to follow these steps and successfully complete the oil filter housing gasket replacement. Do you happen to have any instructions on replacing the heat exchange gasket? This is also leaking.

I'm afraid I don't, as I don't even know where is the heat exchange gasket? Are you referring to the cylinder head cover gasket?

aa240sx 04-30-2013 02:13 PM

Thanks for the DIY. Planning to tackle this along with the VANOS. Is there an RTV Sealant used along with the gasket? Or is it simply,

1 remove old gasket (scrape)
2 clean area for new gasket
3 install new gasket

kskane 05-14-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa240sx (Post 7554208)
Thanks for the DIY. Planning to tackle this along with the VANOS. Is there an RTV Sealant used along with the gasket? Or is it simply,

1 remove old gasket (scrape)
2 clean area for new gasket
3 install new gasket

No RTV sealant is needed for OFHG.

BM109R 06-11-2013 10:07 PM

Oil Filter Housing Gasket - Replacement (M54)

Excellent DIY. When I did mine on my previous e39, I found that in removing alternator, spraying a bit of wd40 at the contact points to the engine block makes it come out nice and easy with no jerking necessary.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

kskane 06-11-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BM109R (Post 7646063)
Excellent DIY. When I did mine on my previous e39, I found that in removing alternator, spraying a bit of wd40 at the contact points to the engine block makes it come out nice and easy with no jerking necessary.

Thanks for letting us know, I will keep in mind for next time :)

mj888 11-05-2013 08:34 AM

nice diy... thanks.

grimma 06-07-2014 03:02 AM

One question , do you need to drain engine oil prior of this task?

BbradenMmillerW 06-07-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimma (Post 8388886)
One question , do you need to drain engine oil prior of this task?

Slim Grim asks a good question...

Does anybody who has performed the OFHG R&R on m54 engine know if it's necessary to drain the oil? If so, is a typical drain from the oil pan plug legit enough?

Never done this job but am tomorrow. I have no idea how much oil is lost from removing, cleaning, etc... If the amount is negligible then that's that. But I could also see a drain & fill being possible.

kskane 06-14-2014 03:52 AM

Hey boys, sorry for the late response, but I don't think you will loose any oil with this DIY as the all the oil sit in the pan at the bottom of the engine. I could be wrong, so to be on safe side, better drain the oil anyway. If you don't want to spend more and think the oil is good, use the old oil and topup with 1L if necessary.

jarhed1964 06-15-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kskane (Post 8402648)
Hey boys, sorry for the late response, but I don't think you will loose any oil with this DIY as the all the oil sit in the pan at the bottom of the engine. I could be wrong, so to be on safe side, better drain the oil anyway. If you don't want to spend more and think the oil is good, use the old oil and topup with 1L if necessary.

You are pretty much spot on. Just pulled mine off of my 2005 530i. It's almost exactly the same as my two E39's, except that there are three bolts on the bottom of the housing that are connected to the power steering pump, in addition to the normal six bolts that you may be familiar with in an M52 or M52tu from an E39. Two up front and easy to reach, and one difficult one on the back rear. The pump literally mounts to the bottom of the housing. No oil lost other than the mess spilled all over the place when I pulled the housing out. Just open your oil filler cap so the oil will drain down from the filter housing. I'm doing an oil change anyway, so I drained the oil pan before I pulled the housing.