Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW Coding and Programming (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   All BMWs Generating Routes in Google Maps for uploading into your BMW Nav System (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660225)

JEG23 11-25-2012 07:10 AM

Generating Routes in Google Maps for uploading into your BMW Nav System

6 Attachment(s)
Google Maps is a better and more efficient tool to generate routes than the BMW Navigation System. You have the flexibility to change routes as you wish and select specific roads from point A to point B. The attached manual (and program) describes how you can generate trip files that can be imported into your BMW Nav system. This is possible thanks to the great programing work of our fellow fester, Aussie40d, from the E70 forum. Enjoy.

JEG23

Attachment 358874

Attachment 358873

Remove .pdf extension

Attachment 350720

Attachment 350721

Attachment 350722

Attachment 350723

shawnsheridan 11-25-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEG23 (Post 7212735)
Google Maps is a better and more efficient tool to generate routes than the BMW Navigation System. You have the flexibility to change routes as you wish and select specific roads from point A to point B. The attached manual (and program) describes how you can generate trip files that can be imported into your BMW NAv system. This is possible thanks to the great programing work of our fellow fester, Aussie40d, from the E70 forum. Enjoy.

JEG23

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|35...v.pdf|1505|0|0

https://rapidshare.com/#!download|67...3.xlsm|166|0|0

Attachment 350720

Attachment 350721

Attachment 350722

Attachment 350723

Awesome work Juan! :thumbup:

I look forward to seeing you solve the POI import next.

FrogmanF30 11-25-2012 12:17 PM

I've verified that this works on an 2012 F30.

Are there any plans on making this work with more than 1 destination? I created a 3 stop trip in google maps, but when I imported the trip, only the start and first destination were imported. Sheet 2 (temp worksheet?) shows all destinations (read from the KML), but they don't seem to appear in the final XML.

Also, I tried to look at the VBA code, but it's password protected. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks for the hard work on this!! I had tried previously to do just this kind of thing, but ran out of time.

JEG23 11-25-2012 02:42 PM

@FrogmanF30,

Thanks.

I suppose that is the next stage of this, capability for multiple destinations.
PM me for details.

JEG23

carina77 11-27-2012 10:29 PM

Juan, thank you for this great tool... It's working great here in Malaysia... Simple tool, yet very useful! Thank you, Sir.

JEG23 11-28-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carina77 (Post 7218274)
Juan, thank you for this great tool... It's working great here in Malaysia... Simple tool, yet very useful! Thank you, Sir.

Thanks for the feedback! Did you car already had the "import" feature active? Is that capability only removed in the US?

JEG23

shawnsheridan 11-28-2012 10:22 AM

@Jeg, did you also look at NAVI_DEST_IMPORT, which is supposedly "Asia Only"?

I am wondering if we can import an address from USB, similar to how Google Sen-To-Car works, and then Navigate to that address.

JEG23 11-28-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnsheridan (Post 7219075)
@Jeg, did you also look at NAVI_DEST_IMPORT, which is supposedly "Asia Only"?

I am wondering if we can import an address from USB, similar to how Google Sen-To-Car works, and then Navigate to that address.

Shawn,

I have not tried this yet (maybe somebody can beat me to it before I get home), but if you only input a destination in Google (not a point A and a point B), save it to "Maps" and then generate the KML file, it will also be processed by the program and generate a one point place that could probably can be imported via "Import Trips" without any additional changes to the car coding.

It is of course easier to do this via the Google “send to car” function, but it might be convenient of you want to upload multiple destinations in one shot.

If that does not work I will try the "Asia Only" code that you suggest.

JEG23

FrogmanF30 11-28-2012 11:04 AM

I had to code NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT before I could import a trip. The comments for this variable do not indicate any regional restrictions. Only the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT/EXPORT say Asia only.

JEG23 11-28-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 (Post 7219145)
I had to code NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT before I could import a trip. The comments for this variable do not indicate any regional restrictions. Only the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT/EXPORT say Asia only.

Thanks FrogmanF30.

I expected that since you are in the US. Our cars do not have the "trip import" function on by default. In most of Europe (I think) and for example in Australia, this function is activated.

I think in some Asian countries (please let me know otherwise), maybe they cannot do the "Google Send to the car" by default.

Have you tried to generate a KML file with only one point and then import that via the "trip import" feature? If not I will try this tonight. In addition to generating trips via Google Maps, it would be useful to have multiple destinations in an USB that can be easily imported to the car.

If that does not work then we should try (as Shawn suggests) the "Asia only" destination code and see if another import menu item shows up.

JEG23

shawnsheridan 11-28-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEG23 (Post 7219108)
Shawn,

I have not tried this yet (maybe somebody can beat me to it before I get home), but if you only input a destination in Google (not a point A and a point B), save it to "Maps" and then generate the KML file, it will also be processed by the program and generate a one point place that could probably can be imported via "Import Trips" without any additional changes to the car coding.

It is of course easier to do this via the Google “send to car” function, but it might be convenient of you want to upload multiple destinations in one shot.

If that does not work I will try the "Asia Only" code that you suggest.

JEG23

Yes, but with a single destination point, and NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT, you are still using Google Maps for Routing.

The Google Send-To-Car, and NAVI_DEST_IMPORT would instead use the built in BMW Navigation for Routing. Since Google Send-To-Car requires a BMW Assist account, many users can not use it, so I was thinking instead they could maybe use NAVI_DEST_IMPORT in its place, that is if it is possible for it to work on non-Asian vehicles despite what it says.

JEG23 11-28-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnsheridan (Post 7219170)
Yes, but with a single destination point, and NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT, you are still using Google Maps for Routing.

The Google Send-To-Car, and NAVI_DEST_IMPORT would instead use the built in BMW Navigation for Routing. Since Google Send-To-Car requires a BMW Assist account, many users can not use it, so I was thinking instead they could maybe use NAVI_DEST_IMPORT in its place, that is if it is possible for it to work on non-Asian vehicles despite what it says.

Shawn,

Yes I see your point. On the other hand, with a single destination, I do not think (I am speaking out of ignorance here since I cannot test that at the moment) there is technically no routing, just a destination.
I do not know if "trip import" will work with that file. If it does, then the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT is not necessary, otherwise it surely is worth trying it.

JEG23

shawnsheridan 11-28-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEG23 (Post 7219180)
Shawn,

Yes I see your point. On the other hand, with a single destination, I do not think (I am speaking out of ignorance here since I cannot test that at the moment) there is technically no routing, just a destination.
I do not know if "trip import" will work with that file. If it does, then the NAVI_DEST_IMPORT is not necessary, otherwise it surely is worth trying it.

JEG23

Agreed.

dandanio 11-28-2012 11:56 AM

Awesome tool, thanks. Please keep us updated in this thread as I do not frequent a E70 forums.

carina77 11-29-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEG23 (Post 7219046)
Thanks for the feedback! Did you car already had the "import" feature active? Is that capability only removed in the US?

JEG23

Yes, it has the feature... But, mine is a UK spec'd car... So, I'm not sure whether a Malaysian spec'd car has this as standard...

Merlosso 01-22-2013 10:24 AM

I can confirm that this works for an E90 also. When I did European Delivery I took a USB drive with specific routes on it in hopes the feature would work (some had reported success on an ED vehicle and some did not). The option to import was not even in the menu (good thing I had a backup plan). Over the weekend I used this thread and found NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT in CIC, made it aktiv, saved it back, and now I have the import from USB option in the nav. I'll definitely be taking my laptop with me on the next ED trip to enable this. :)

It may already be known that it works for E Series cars but in case someone searches and comes across this thread I thought I'd add the info.

JEG23 01-22-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlosso (Post 7329940)
I can confirm that this works for an E90 also. When I did European Delivery I took a USB drive with specific routes on it in hopes the feature would work (some had reported success on an ED vehicle and some did not). The option to import was not even in the menu (good thing I had a backup plan). Over the weekend I used this thread and found NAVI_TRIP_IMPORT in CIC, made it aktiv, saved it back, and now I have the import from USB option in the nav. I'll definitely be taking my laptop with me on the next ED trip to enable this. :)

It may already be known that it works for E Series cars but in case someone searches and comes across this thread I thought I'd add the info.

Merlosso,

Thanks for letting us know it also works for the E90. I find it myself very useful. The BMW navigation system likes to send via routes that I do not like. This lets me decide how I want to get to my destination.

JEG23

Mobileum 01-23-2013 12:25 AM

Check this (Europe):

https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/plan-routes/index.jsp

JEG23 01-23-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobileum (Post 7331660)

Yes, many of us are aware of that nice tool, but unfortunately it only works in Europe.

JEG23

Losco 01-23-2013 06:09 AM

won't let me download the pdf in the first post, is link dead?

JEG23 01-23-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Losco (Post 7331884)
won't let me download the pdf in the first post, is link dead?

Losco,

Try it now. Remember to remove the .pdf extension from the .xlsm file.

JEG23

Losco 01-23-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEG23 (Post 7332022)
Losco,

Try it now. Remember to remove the .pdf extension from the .xlsm file.

JEG23

Thanks, download worked, but realized didn't have excel on this PC lol. will test it tomorrow and see if it works on japanese nav too.

eb64 02-20-2013 05:35 AM

Check this

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEG23 (Post 7331817)
Yes, many of us are aware of that nice tool, but unfortunately it only works in Europe.

JEG23

There is another possibility to make multi destination trips with TyreToTravel.com based on googlemaps. With the free Basic Tyre programm, it allows to plan trips and safe it in the BMW format tar.gz to the desktop. From there you pack it into a BMWData structure and youre able to upload it to the navi prof, where you have the possible upload via Navigation--saved trips--Import from USB etc

Structure like: ---- is the folderstructure, : is the file to be placed in folderstructure, usbstick ist your USB Stick
Usbstick: mytrip.zip
Usbstick----BMWData----Nav: mytrip.tar.gz
Usbstick----BMWData----Navigation----Routes: mytrip.tar.gz

hint: on my F11 build in 9/2011 (German Version) it works. Mytrip.zip: pack the entire structure above in a named zip file named exactly like the tar.gz, here mytrip.zip and put it in the rootfolder of your USB Stick. According to many posts, the folderstructure BMWData/Nav should do the trick, but with the mentioned bmwroutes.com method and saving it to Desktop it creates the above structure.

Try if that would work for US purposes as well!

Cheers EB

shawnsheridan 02-20-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eb64 (Post 7392450)
There is another possibility to make multi destination trips with TyreToTravel.com based on googlemaps. With the free Basic Tyre programm, it allows to plan trips and safe it in the BMW format tar.gz to the desktop. From there you pack it into a BMWData structure and youre able to upload it to the navi prof, where you have the possible upload via Navigation--saved trips--Import from USB etc

Structure like: ---- is the folderstructure, : is the file to be placed in folderstructure, usbstick ist your USB Stick

hint: on my F11 build in 9/2011 (German Version) it works. Mytrip.zip: pack the entire structure above in a named zip file named exactly like the tar.gz, here mytrip.zip and put it in the rootfolder of your USB Stick. According to many posts, the folderstructure BMWData/Nav should do the trick, but with the mentioned bmwroutes.com method and saving it to Desktop it creates the above structure.

Cheers EB

Good stuff EB. Thanks.

JEG23 02-21-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eb64 (Post 7392450)

Cheers EB

EB,

This works great in the US for the F10. Fantastic work!

JEG23