Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Burning oil smell when heat is on/ getting out of car. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660299)

yeahbuddy23 11-25-2012 01:37 PM

Burning oil smell when heat is on/ getting out of car.

I took my 2007 335i in the dealer to have some warranty work done. I told them my Trans gasket was leaking, and they also told me my value cover gasket was leaking. When I got my car back I smelled burning oil, it's been over a month since they done the work. Took back to bmw and they said everything was fine and the oil needed to burn off. I took my car on a 500 mile trip and have driven around 1500 miles you would think that would be eff to burn everything off. It's really bad when I have the heat on/ or after the car is been running for sometime and you get out you can smell. But I do think its something else. My warranty is almost over in Feb. next year. I am going to take back again. Any idea what I can tell them that might me leaking broken or the problem. Thanks guys:mad::mad:

sptt144 11-25-2012 09:26 PM

If it is a burning oil smell, it is typically a leaking valve gasket cover and is leaking down onto the exhaust pipe. Are you losing oil? Also, check the oil filter housing as well. Could be leaking from it where it connects to the engine (the gasket could be be broken). Worse case scenario is a head gasket leak which would be further down in the engine block but harder to see in a tight space. Need to get a little telescopic mirror. If you are smelling it, it is leaking and burning on the pipe, somewhere.

yeahbuddy23 11-25-2012 09:36 PM

value covers were replaced by dealer. brought to dealer few times still same smell they say nothing wrong just have to burn off

mossman35 11-27-2012 07:26 AM

It would seem like all the oil should have burned off by now. I would have them steam clean (or however they do it) to get rid of all the oil. Then make sure the smell is gone before your warranty runs out. Even if you have to pay for the clean it would be worth it.

A few years back the Infiniti dealer left my oil cap off my car. Drove around like that for about 5 months. I finally realized it (cap missing) and went back. They gave me a new cap and cleaned the engine of all sprayed oil. They did a good job. Obviously my situation was their fault, but I bring this up because any good garage should have the means to clean the engine.

Salvator 11-27-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy23 (Post 7214208)
value covers were replaced by dealer. brought to dealer few times still same smell they say nothing wrong just have to burn off

It took our dealer 3 tries to get it right... Check the back of the engine passenger side, near the firewall... If it's wet looking, or oily, it's still leaking...

yeahbuddy23 11-28-2012 11:25 AM

I looked back there didnt see anything looked dry but was looking around the motor. seen that it looks like the intake gasket is leaking. or the oil filter housing might be. also seen that the turbo pipe is covered in oil which dealer said it was just cleaned off like a week ago. could there be a crack? i also see there is oil in my exhaust at the end not alot just some is that normal? thanks everyone for your input and help. my warranty is about out. wanna get everything fix.

jburke4689 11-29-2012 09:17 AM

The valve cover on the 335i is prone to cracking. I know two people who had it happen. It is worth checking.