Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Didn't get the dynamic handling package... How much did I miss out? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660309)

otonimus 11-25-2012 02:34 PM

Didn't get the dynamic handling package... How much did I miss out?

My car is a 2013 328i Sport Line MT, which has the M Sport Suspension

Kinda wish it had the dynamic handling package, since it's only 1k

Not like I had much choice... It was difficult enough to find a stick shift with the others options I wanted...

So did I really miss out? Is it worth having it installed?

tturedraider 11-25-2012 03:11 PM

You have the sport suspension, which is just fine. With the ZDH you can set an array of Sport mode settings and the car will remember them. Without it you don't have as many Sport mode settings and if you make adjustments to the Sport mode settings they are lost when you exit sport mode. You can't add ZDH after the fact. Enjoy your car.

captainaudio 11-25-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otonimus (Post 7213526)

Not like I had much choice... It was difficult enough to find a stick shift with the others options I wanted...

If you do not have an issue with ride quality on poor surfaces with the sport suspension you should be fine.

CA

Jokerswld34 11-26-2012 01:27 PM

sadly, you're missing out on a lot. When i had my first f30 with sport suspension, I thought it was very good performance wise, but quite harsh all around, especially on bumpy surfaces. i was actually surprised at how uncomfortable the ride was as I drove more, especially since my previous Mercedes with coilovers on stiffest settings was much better. Not what i expected for a $50k+ lux-sport sedan! I was certainly disappointed overall with the ride quality (my wife always complained how uncomfortable the ride was.) and considering I have driven many cars on various aftermarket sport suspension systems, this stock sport suspension just didn't do it for me. the car overall was excellent tho (minus the vibrating steering)! :thumbup:

I ended up trading in for an M sport with DHP and VSS, and man what a difference. I felt like I was diving 2 completely different cars. Dampening was supple over bumps and undulations in comfort mode, and nice and firm in sport. it keeps the car flat and in control,and does not toss you around over bumps like the standard sport setup. It def gives the feeling of a more luxurious/sporty ride commensurate with the german luxury price tag! Perfect combo for driving around town with the family, and then some high speed blasts on the freeway or in the twisty roads. The ability to tailor the dynamic settings too is really nice as I like driving with stiffer chassis settings, but not always with the touchy throttle. Worth every penny of the $1k price tag imho!

if i were you and your miles are low,I'd scour around and see if you can find one to trade with. you wont be sorry you did! :bigpimp:

otonimus 11-27-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokerswld34 (Post 7215203)
sadly, you're missing out on a lot. When i had my first f30 with sport suspension, I thought it was very good performance wise, but quite harsh all around, especially on bumpy surfaces. i was actually surprised at how uncomfortable the ride was as I drove more, especially since my previous Mercedes with coilovers on stiffest settings was much better. Not what i expected for a $50k+ lux-sport sedan! I was certainly disappointed overall with the ride quality (my wife always complained how uncomfortable the ride was.) and considering I have driven many cars on various aftermarket sport suspension systems, this stock sport suspension just didn't do it for me. the car overall was excellent tho (minus the vibrating steering)! :thumbup:

I ended up trading in for an M sport with DHP and VSS, and man what a difference. I felt like I was diving 2 completely different cars. Dampening was supple over bumps and undulations in comfort mode, and nice and firm in sport. it keeps the car flat and in control,and does not toss you around over bumps like the standard sport setup. It def gives the feeling of a more luxurious/sporty ride commensurate with the german luxury price tag! Perfect combo for driving around town with the family, and then some high speed blasts on the freeway or in the twisty roads. The ability to tailor the dynamic settings too is really nice as I like driving with stiffer chassis settings, but not always with the touchy throttle. Worth every penny of the $1k price tag imho!

if i were you and your miles are low,I'd scour around and see if you can find one to trade with. you wont be sorry you did! :bigpimp:

If that's the case, then I'm glad I saved my $1k

I really like a firm ride. Prior to this car, my favorite car was a '99 A4 2.8 Sport, further dropped about .75" with Bilstein Neuspeeds and the stock sport springs. Wheels were 17's. Quite firm.

Awesome setup, daily driver here in Providence RI. Loved that car.

So I don't need the ride to be softer, thus I'm glad I didn't pay for the DH.

:)

Chris90 11-27-2012 11:17 AM

I read a review I think in CAR magazine of the M135i where they said Comfort mode had the best steering feel and handling - dunno if that's cause of the crappy UK roads or what, but it's interesting.

It's probably one of those things, if you don't have it you won't miss it.

Jokerswld34 11-27-2012 11:19 AM

If youre happy with the standard sport suspension than thats great! However, the M Adaptive sport setting is firmer than the standard sport suspension. So if a firmer ride is what youre after, the DHP was the way to go. I like a firm ride too, which is why i have upgraded some of the sport sedans Ive owned to some sort of sport setup.

95 Volvo 850 R - Koni yellows with R springs
03 Audi A4 - Bilstein sports, H&R race springs, Neuspeed sways F&R
05 MB C230 - Bilstein BTS kit then upgraded to full Bilstein Pss9 kit with H&R Sways

What I was most disappointed about the sport suspension was the the dampening of the bumps, not so much the firmness of the ride. Every bump or manhole cover echoed a loud thud through the cabin and just didnt feel refined. Im sure the RFT tires played some role in that but for me, I wasnt happy. With the DHP, i get much better dampening and ride control, as well as a very firm chassis when i want it. the softer comfort ride works well for the kids and wife...

Just my 2 cents. enjoy your new ride! the F30 is one hell of a car! maybe upgrade to the M performance suspension if you really want a firm setup? :thumbup:

sean10mm 11-27-2012 11:30 AM

DHP is more essential if you're getting a variant that doesn't come with the sport suspension but still want the improved handling. For instance, I'd say DHP is vital if you want the best handling on an xDrive since no xDrive comes with the sport suspension, not even Sport or M Sport lines.

otonimus 11-27-2012 12:52 PM

The m sport suspension feels great to me, a good all around do everything balance (to my bu*t, anyways). So I have no regrets. Thanks for everyone's input!

justinnum1 11-27-2012 01:52 PM

704 suspension is great. i love mine.

you cant program DH to stiff setting in eco pro, and becuase of that it was an immediate deal breaker to me.

I want a stif suspension regardless of what driving mode i am in. and i want a stiff suspension all the time. 704 m suspension was a no brainer and i love it.

otonimus 11-27-2012 04:29 PM

ditto

CALWATERBOY 11-28-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otonimus (Post 7213526)

YES, on 100% of it.

Do you have a way to install it?

NewToCarBuying 11-28-2012 07:58 AM

I dind't get it so I can feel a lot when it hits a bump in the road

otonimus 11-28-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7218580)
YES, on 100% of it.

Ummm... no

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Once I understood what it is, I realized I have no desire for it.... I have no desire for the suspension to be any softer or firmer, in any conditions, so therefore I simply don't need it.

voip-ninja 11-28-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otonimus (Post 7218807)
Ummm... no

Did you read the rest of the thread?

Once I understood what it is, I realized I have no desire for it.... I have no desire for the suspension to be any softer or firmer, in any conditions, so therefore I simply don't need it.

I think you are confusing 'firm' with stiffness. The M adaptive suspension on sport setting is FIRMER yet more SUPPLE than the sport suspension. It's the single best upgrade on my car, and my car is pretty well loaded out.

M adaptive gives you the best of both worlds. Awesome firm suspension but none of that jarring or rattle-board feeling that you get from many firm suspension setups.

The only way to know if you are 'missing out' is to go and drive a car with adaptive-m in the different modes and try it out for yourself. Your commenting that you don't think you missed out because of what people are saying is not the same as driving the car yourself.

Spagolli94 11-29-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 7217412)
704 suspension is great. i love mine.

you cant program DH to stiff setting in eco pro, and becuase of that it was an immediate deal breaker to me.

I want a stif suspension regardless of what driving mode i am in. and i want a stiff suspension all the time. 704 m suspension was a no brainer and i love it.

You live in FL. I'm pretty sure you'd change your tune if you lived in one of the urban areas of the North East. How much I like my sport suspension (which is not adjustable) depends entirely on the environment that I'm driving in. In rural areas (or cities with good roads), the suspension is sublime. But when driving in the city, the constant banging, rumbling noises, and trying to dodge around all the manhole covers becomes tiresome. Having the ability to switch would be great.

I would add that stock for stock, my 2009 is much better than my 2006 was, even with RFT. Not sure about the new F30. I heard it's even better yet.

otonimus 11-29-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 7219190)
Your commenting that you don't think you missed out because of what people are saying is not the same as driving the car yourself.

Agreed. I'd love to try one.

In the meantime, I'm going to just be happy with the M Sport suspension. It doesn't feel too stiff (or firm lol), and I live in Providence RI.

No regrets :)

justinnum1 11-29-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otonimus (Post 7220887)
Agreed. I'd love to try one.

In the meantime, I'm going to just be happy with the M Sport suspension. It doesn't feel too stiff (or firm lol), and I live in Providence RI.

No regrets :)

Nice. I tried it. Didn't need it.

Not to mention what people don't seem to understand.

YOU CAN NOT USE THE STIFF SETTING IN ECO PRO

otonimus 11-29-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 7220917)
YOU CAN NOT USE THE STIFF SETTING IN ECO PRO

Enough said. I like using ECO PRO on the highway, and wouldn't want it to go all soft.

voip-ninja 11-29-2012 08:17 AM

Eco Pro.

Ha Ha.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5vyYMuwcy5...s1600/yawn.jpg

otonimus 11-29-2012 08:44 AM

On long boring stretches of highway I like ECO Pro. Why not save a little gas? But I still also want the crisp handling for lane changes. Make sense?

voip-ninja 11-29-2012 09:00 AM

eco pro does nearly nothing on the highway. In a 50 mile drive it showed I returned an extra 1 mile or so of range. The only time I see any point of turning it on is when in heavy traffic when the sluggish throttle map and tendancy to upshift early will save real fuel, during which the handling of the car doesn't matter a nit. To each their own though.

av98 11-29-2012 09:03 AM

One detraction of the DHP is you can out drive it if you push the car beyond the algorithms compensation- EG: fast switch backs + unsettling driving conditions + a combination of driving techniques. DHP is ideal for non-aggressive drivers that only push the car below 7/10ths; now if you don't know what this means google driving 10/10ths.

However, the M performance suspension solves this issue by upgrading the shocks/struts then disabling DHP if your car has it when installed.

otonimus 11-29-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 7221018)
The only time I see any point of turning it on is when in heavy traffic when the sluggish throttle map and tendancy to upshift early will save real fuel, during which the handling of the car doesn't matter a nit.

Depends on how heavy the traffic. For daily city traffic here in Providence I love the sport suspension. Dodging cars and potholes is so damn fun in this car. Wouldn't want it to be softer.

However, under these very same conditions I can't stand the sluggish throttle response of ECO...

...annnnnnnd bummer that ECO isn't better on the highway. Didn't know that. My enthusiasm for ECO is quickly waning.

Anyways, I think I bought the right car ;)

voip-ninja 11-29-2012 09:10 AM

:thumbup: