Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   X1 holding for Computer Update? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660311)

jcblab89 11-25-2012 02:35 PM

X1 holding for Computer Update?
 
Just curious if anyone else experiencing a delivery delay because of computer updates. My new X1 arrived at the Port of NY on 11/15/12. However, it along with over 10 BMWs heading to my dealer are all waiting for a nav/computer update; the intake center is not releasing until BMW-AG sends the new software. Unfortunately, the dealer does not have a time line for the software release.

I am getting a little antsy waiting for my new X1 and the Xdrive. The snow is surely going to start soon and having the xdrive will certainly give me a little more confidence on my commute to work! My husband says I need to be patient ( but I know he is excited because the x1 was his idea!)

HotRodW 11-25-2012 04:54 PM

Yes - be patient. I'm battling software issues myself, and I've been without my car for over a week while they sort it out. I would have happily waited another week or two to avoid the frustrations.

mismaloya 11-25-2012 05:21 PM

Hot rod- what type of issues are you having?

mullini 11-25-2012 05:30 PM

My X1 came into Port Hueneme (north of Los Angeles) 11/15. It was at the dealership by this Wednesday, 11/21. I bought it Friday. I guess if any software update is coming, they will call me in or wait for the first service....

HotRodW 11-25-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mismaloya (Post 7213827)
Hot rod- what type of issues are you having?

First the TPM System malfunctioned. Even after the faulty module was replaced, it still wouldn't reset with the sensors I purchased from Tire Rack with my winter wheels and tires. I had to pay parts and labor to have the Tire Rack sensors replaced with far more expensive OEM units even though the frequencies were the same.

The real problem occurred when I had the ASS (has there ever been a more appropriate acronym?) reprogrammed to default to last setting while the TPM issue was being diagnosed. The process wiped my sat radio, which I didn't discover until the trip home. The dealer tried unsuccessfully for the better part of a week to download and install the fix from BMW. It appears BMW was finally able to dial in to rebuild the programming directly, and I should be picking up the car tomorrow. I was warned that if the dealer attempts any software updates before the permanent fix is available, it will once again wipe the SiriusXM. At least I had a loaner for my holiday traveling (528i xDrive), which proved to be an ideal road trip machine.

jcblab89 11-25-2012 06:03 PM

Hi Rod,

Thank you so much for your insights. I guess the nav/program issue was more than downloading some new updated maps. I hope the reprogramming holds and you experience no other issues. You are correct, I would rather wait a few days than experience the drama you experienced.

It is odd, that I haven't seen more posts regarding programming issues on the boards. Perhaps there was an infamous software "fix" that only affected cars between certain dates.

mismaloya 11-27-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks for the detail and good luck hot rod

two-five boy 11-29-2012 05:12 AM

Jcblab- anyone updates to your situation? Also, did ur dealer inform u of the car being held at port or did u find out some other way? Can u disclose which dealer this is?

The ship transporting my car is scheduled to arrive at the same port today, so I'm very curious to know if ur situation has been resolved, or the logjam has gotten significantly worse. Thanks

HBWT 11-29-2012 07:01 AM

Ugh! My X1 with NAV is supposed to be off-loaded today in Baltimore. Hopefully, the back-log is remedied and won't slow my delivery.

two-five boy 11-29-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HBWT (Post 7220785)
Ugh! My X1 with NAV is supposed to be off-loaded today in Baltimore. Hopefully, the back-log is remedied and won't slow my delivery.

Today? Are u on the vessel porgy also? It's scheduled to reach the port in ny today as well, so does that mean it's offloaded in ny already or reaching md very late today? Oh whatever just get our cars to the dealers already!

jcblab89 11-29-2012 05:49 PM

All, great news on the X1 release from the Port in NJ. The issue was resolved yesterday (Wed afternoon). My car, along with the other x1's delivered on the Don Juan 11/15 arrived at the dealer this morning. Our dealer is approx 60 miles from the Port and is about a two hour drive (it's all traffic not distance around NJ). We just got home from picking my new car up! It was some nav computer update. Unfortunately, I have no additional information to provide details. Both the sales manager and my CA apologized for the delay and only mentioned the nav computer update hold. I tried very hard to cull information but the nav computer update is apparently what placed the cars on hold. However, I could tell they too were frustrated at the delay. I would love to know more details regarding the programming issue. Perhaps they used the new iphone5 map logic. :p

As a side note, despite picking it up in the dark and driving less than 10 miles home, the new car feltl was awesome-such a different drive than my 2006 325. The extra time spent up at the Port is all but forgotten and the commute to work will be done with an ear to ear grin!

two-five boy 11-29-2012 07:01 PM

That's great news! Hopefully the backlog of cars isn't terrible and they can update all the cars "nav" systems quickly in order to get them moved to their respective dealerships. I wonder if this holdup applied only to the X1's or other models were effected as well? I suspect the latter......

mismaloya 11-30-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two-five boy (Post 7222289)
That's great news! Hopefully the backlog of cars isn't terrible and they can update all the cars "nav" systems quickly in order to get them moved to their respective dealerships. I wonder if this holdup applied only to the X1's or other models were effected as well? I suspect the latter......

I agree 25B, looks like our cars should be getting to the deals soon. I emailed my CA and asked for a 12-10, 12-11 pickup date. Haven't head anything back yet. Let me know how your delivery goes, and I'll do the same

HBWT 11-30-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two-five boy (Post 7221025)
Today? Are u on the vessel porgy also? It's scheduled to reach the port in ny today as well, so does that mean it's offloaded in ny already or reaching md very late today? Oh whatever just get our cars to the dealers already!

Nah...Mine was one the Tysla and unloaded in Baltimore either on the 28th or 29th. Ships are usually in port for a minimum of 2 days. After unloading they go to the VPC near the respective port and will be there anywhere from 2-10 days. Cars that stay longer have usually sustained some kind of damage in transit and will get repaired at that facility before being trucked to a dealer.

two-five boy 11-30-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mismaloya (Post 7222716)
I agree 25B, looks like our cars should be getting to the deals soon. I emailed my CA and asked for a 12-10, 12-11 pickup date. Haven't head anything back yet. Let me know how your delivery goes, and I'll do the same

The only info I got from my dealer this morning was confirmation that there is some sort of delay at the port, with no eta on the arrival at dealership. This sucks as I was planning to take it for a roadtrip before Xmas, and I have some stuff I want to do on the car before the trip.

two-five boy 12-08-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two-five boy (Post 7223159)
The only info I got from my dealer this morning was confirmation that there is some sort of delay at the port, with no eta on the arrival at dealership. This sucks as I was planning to take it for a roadtrip before Xmas, and I have some stuff I want to do on the car before the trip.

Got a call from dealer that the car is in their hands as of late Thursday 12/6, and I'm picking it up today, 12/8. I didn't even bother to ask if the nav was updated as I'm tired of driving my beater lol. I must assume it was updated, otherwise vpc wouldn't have released it to transporter I would imagine.

nospam 12-08-2012 07:57 AM

I just got an email that the new 2013 map update is available ($245). Hopefully all of our new US vehicles are getting this update. I am going to check and if not, demand it for free.

two-five boy 12-08-2012 08:56 AM

How can we tell if we have the updated version? I'm sure the dealer will tell me it was updated if I ask....

mismaloya 12-08-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two-five boy (Post 7237519)
Got a call from dealer that the car is in their hands as of late Thursday 12/6, and I'm picking it up today, 12/8. I didn't even bother to ask if the nav was updated as I'm tired of driving my beater lol. I must assume it was updated, otherwise vpc wouldn't have released it to transporter I would imagine.

Great to hear- good luck with it. I'm picking mine up next Friday. Having it tinted this week before I pick it up. Post some pics of yours if when you get the chance.

X1-tahoe 12-09-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mismaloya (Post 7237930)
Great to hear- good luck with it. I'm picking mine up next Friday. Having it tinted this week before I pick it up. Post some pics of yours if when you get the chance.

Great news that you both have your X1s. I have been about 10 days behind you so I expect to receive it next week.

Will you (2-5-boy and Mismaloya) be providing a review soon?

mismaloya 12-10-2012 12:40 PM

Review- absolutely, pics- absolutely
Good luck with yours x1-Tahoe


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms