Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Royal screw up (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660329)

shtaka 11-25-2012 05:10 PM

Royal screw up

Mea culpa. :cry:

Today, I tried to install a Smarttop. I struggled for quite a while to tear apart the car to get at the top controller as per the directions. Finally, got it installed and the top won't work at all. The red LED is flashing and neither button does anything. Removed the Smarttop and it still doesn't work, plus the window switches don't work either! I was able to put the top up manually, except for the rear window which wouldn't budge no matter how much pressure I put on the Allen wrench. Being that this is Florida and could rain at any time and I don't have a garage, I left the car in my brother's garage and borrowed his car for the night. Tomorrow, I will bring it into the dealer and pray that I didn't fry any electronics.

Any ideas on what the fix might entail, besides a lot of money changing hands?

I'm getting, no I am, too old for this crap! No more do it yourself.

MakaveliFaison 11-25-2012 09:14 PM

Why would you install a smarttop? All of the features it has can be coded to your car.

shtaka 11-25-2012 09:42 PM

You mean it's possible to code the car to allow one touch up and down? Without holding your finger on the button?

MakaveliFaison 11-26-2012 01:09 AM

On the remote or actual button in the car?

shtaka 11-26-2012 03:15 AM

The buttons in the car.

MakaveliFaison 11-26-2012 08:06 AM

Pretty sure its possible. Probably just change the wert setting for the button. Ill get to working on it today.

tampamark 11-26-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtaka (Post 7213802)
Mea culpa. :cry:

Today, I tried to install a Smarttop. I struggled for quite a while to tear apart the car to get at the top controller as per the directions. Finally, got it installed and the top won't work at all. The red LED is flashing and neither button does anything. Removed the Smarttop and it still doesn't work, plus the window switches don't work either! I was able to put the top up manually, except for the rear window which wouldn't budge no matter how much pressure I put on the Allen wrench. Being that this is Florida and could rain at any time and I don't have a garage, I left the car in my brother's garage and borrowed his car for the night. Tomorrow, I will bring it into the dealer and pray that I didn't fry any electronics.

Any ideas on what the fix might entail, besides a lot of money changing hands?

I'm getting, no I am, too old for this crap! No more do it yourself.

Have you checked the obvious stuff like the fuses?

shtaka 11-26-2012 09:48 AM

Well, I tried, but the little map on the card in the trunk doesn't really match the physical layout of the fuses. I checked a few, but not sure if they were even the right ones.

Dealer SA thinks one or more of the sensors are out of whack and need to be reset, but they won't get to the car until tomorrow at the earliest.

roseng 11-26-2012 10:37 AM

You cannot code the top up. Only windows up.

Sent from my MB855 using Bimmer App

MakaveliFaison 11-26-2012 11:08 AM

Have u tried? Havent tried yet....but I have top closing with my key

shtaka 11-28-2012 09:22 AM

Fixed

$230 later they reset the sensor that I somehow misaligned and all is well. They could not install the Smarttop because it's a 3rd party product and they have to guarantee their repairs for 2 years. They recommended and I will try and find an independent that can do it for me. Now that I've been through it once, even with the crappy instructions, I can see that somebody with the right tools and who is not as ham handed as me, should be able to install it in less than hour. But, I want to find somebody that has the software to reset the sensor, just in case.

Either that, or I'll try and sell the damn thing.