Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   1998 528i lock issues (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660350)

Bigset3102 11-25-2012 06:56 PM

1998 528i lock issues
 
My keyless entry does not work I have tried reprogramming keys many times doesn't work. Also my alarm keeps going off randomly I believe it to be hood sensor any ideas?

edjack 11-25-2012 08:56 PM

Neither master key works? When was the last time you replaced the battery in the key?

QSilver7 11-25-2012 09:44 PM

Does the red LED on the key illuminate when the buttons are pressed? If no, then like edjack mentioned...have you changed the key's battery? (see text in red box in pic below)

Your model year probably requires a single 2016 battery:


Bigset3102 11-26-2012 03:34 AM

Ok when I stick the key in the door it works but the led on the key does work I have replaced the battery and got a new key from dealer but it still doesn't work

Bigset3102 11-26-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjack (Post 7214152)
Neither master key works? When was the last time you replaced the battery in the key?

I've replaced it along with getting a new key from dealer I've also checked all fuses

Bigset3102 11-26-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSilver7 (Post 7214222)
Does the red LED on the key illuminate when the buttons are pressed? If no, then like edjack mentioned...have you changed the key's battery? (see text in red box in pic below)

Your model year probably requires a single 2016 battery:


Yes the light illuminates I believe my hood sensor is faulty so ordered a new one and am going to try that

DHoang 11-27-2012 06:58 AM

re; alarm going off....
i concur....your hood switch could be the problem.

Bigset3102 11-27-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHoang (Post 7216526)
re; alarm going off....
i concur....your hood switch could be the problem.

Yes I hooked it up to computer and its shooting fault codes so I've ordered new switch. But not sure about why keyless entry isn't funtional

DBell 11-27-2012 03:29 PM

How are the chances of repairing the keyless entry buttons? ('99 528i)
My Lock and Trunk buttons work, but Unlock doesn't; wife's Lock fails, but Unlock works.
(Yeah, between us, we can enter and exit keylessly, but...)

Dave

Bigset3102 11-27-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBell (Post 7217570)
How are the chances of repairing the keyless entry buttons? ('99 528i)
My Lock and Trunk buttons work, but Unlock doesn't; wife's Lock fails, but Unlock works.
(Yeah, between us, we can enter and exit keylessly, but...)

Dave

Are the rubber buttons worn out?

DBell 11-27-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigset3102 (Post 7217772)
Are the rubber buttons worn out?

Mine are pretty worn down, yeah.

Bigset3102 11-27-2012 05:51 PM

I would order new rubber pieces off of eBay they're like 5-10 dollars

Bigset3102 11-27-2012 05:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New rubber on left old on right

DBell 11-27-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigset3102 (Post 7217853)
I would order new rubber pieces off of eBay they're like 5-10 dollars

Great! I love it! Buy it Now for <$4 & free shipping...

Thanks!

Bigset3102 11-27-2012 06:01 PM

Yes then look it upon YouTube And it will show step by step how to do it

DBell 11-27-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigset3102 (Post 7217873)
Yes then look it upon YouTube And it will show step by step how to do it

New batteries when I do it, too...

Bigset3102 11-27-2012 07:07 PM

Yes don't leave batteries out for more than 30 seconds

DBell 12-11-2012 06:00 PM

Replacing key buttons
 
Received new buttons and CR2016s.
Wife's key had nearly new buttons, as it turned out, but really weak battery. Works like new!

As for mine, repair levels I and II completed, but . . .
Can I go to level III and replace the contact film *under* the buttons?
Lock and Trunk are great, but Unlock was still dead.
Re-opened the patient, slipped off the film on the transmitter PCB and held it up to the light.
The carbon(?) film is totally gone under the Unlock bubble.
PCB pads look perfect, and the solder mask is intact except where the film makes contact.

N'mind! Eventually found the film on Ebay.
Not under BMW E39 key film, key repair (several shops, ALL in the UK?), but key parts.
Another whopping $2.84 w/free shipping!

Dave


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms