Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Burning oil? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660481)

BrianMW 11-26-2012 01:37 PM

Burning oil?

I bought an 08 550i in July and got a minimum oil level warning a month later. I added a quart of oil and just got the same warning again yesterday. I had the car into the dealership to fix a motor on the seat and they did a full inspection on the car and found no problems. Does anybody know if it's normal to have to add a quart every couple of months?

UltimateDriving 11-26-2012 01:42 PM

Could be that your engine is really burning oil or it could be that your oil level sensor is not working properly.

HPIA4v2 11-26-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianMW (Post 7215130)
I bought an 08 550i in July and got a minimum oil level warning a month later. I added a quart of oil and just got the same warning again yesterday. I had the car into the dealership to fix a motor on the seat and they did a full inspection on the car and found no problems. Does anybody know if it's normal to have to add a quart every couple of months?

top off in August, if you drive 15k-mile a year that means you need a bout a quart every 4k-mile. normal for agressive syle of driving.

Rebound X3 01-06-2013 08:59 PM

I bought my 528xi in July, and have steadily had to add a quart about once a month (approx every 1500 miles). Had it in for an oil change, and the dealership said they saw no leaks. I have no leaks under the car, and the exhaust tips show no sign of burned oil exhaust. WTF? I've never owner a car, BMW or otherwise, that required that much additional oil between changes.

UltimateDriving 01-07-2013 12:25 AM

My previous E60 N52 engine also consumed a LOT of oil. About a quart every 1K kilometers . . . YES, KILOMETERS.
I sold it after a year, never found out what was the problem. (I did not sell the car for the oil consumption)

bimmerfan52 01-07-2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianMW (Post 7215130)

Hi Brian,

Congrats on your purchase of an awesome machine. The 8 cylinder models are beasts!

When you post, please try to give as much information as you can about your vehicle and situation so some of the more experienced readers can give you an opinion.

For example:
1. How many miles total do you have on the car?
2. How many miles have you driven since July? Have you changed the oil since you purchased it?
3. Do you know anything about the previous service done to the car? Specifically how often the oil was changed.
4. Have you noticed any leaks or had the front belly pan off to look underneath the engine and in the belly pan for stains?
5. You ask about adding a quart every couple of months but don't tell us how many miles you have driven or approximate hours the engine has been operated.

batmbl 04-24-2013 11:28 AM

Burning oil?

I, too, bought my 08 550i three months ago. On a return trip from Houston, TX to Miss Gulf Coast I got the low oil message. Of course it startled me. I pulled off the interstate 10 about 5 min later and added 1 quart. Car ran smoother and no more problems. Call bmw service next morning; they advised me that 1 quart consumption every couple thousand miles is, indeed, normal. Guess I'll keep a quart in the trunk, just in case.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

pjinca 04-24-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmbl (Post 7540910)
Guess I'll keep a quart in the trunk, just in case.

Like the dealer said: It's normal. I keep an extra quart in my trunk and one or two in my garage for just such an occasion. My old 530 went through about half a qt every 5k miles, dealer told me this was perfectly normal as well. :thumbup:

Mac Hadley 04-24-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batmbl (Post 7540910)
I, too, bought my 08 550i three months ago. On a return trip from Houston, TX to Miss Gulf Coast I got the low oil message. Of course it startled me. I pulled off the interstate 10 about 5 min later and added 1 quart. Car ran smoother and no more problems. Call bmw service next morning; they advised me that 1 quart consumption every couple thousand miles is, indeed, normal. Guess I'll keep a quart in the trunk, just in case.

Maybe it's because my 08 535xi is very low mileage, but I've never added any oil whatsoever.

gcvt 04-24-2013 12:35 PM

I also have to add oil on a regular basis - every few months. Everything I've read here indicates it is normal.

husker 05-06-2013 01:04 PM

Try replacing the CCV...Mine is an 2006 550i and after 50K it started to take oil...Replaced the CCV and I am down to a quart every 3500 miles, which is normal.

NorCal550i 05-06-2013 07:02 PM

I have a 06 550i same thing is happening need to get valves done. the car smokes only when sitting for like 5 mins and clears out once you take off.

pjinca 05-06-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal550i (Post 7567741)
I have a 06 550i same thing is happening need to get valves done. the car smokes only when sitting for like 5 mins and clears out once you take off.

No error messages? How many miles? Check this out before doing the valves:
http://forums.5series.net/diy-do-you...no-more-85337/

jim165 05-07-2013 01:42 PM

60K miles with regular 7K mile oil changes. Zero consumption, although my I-drive monitor constantly reads "Oil level too high". I check every week with the dipstick and it's spot on the max fill line. Thought it could be the sensor, but it's possibly a programming issue as others have replaced theirs only to get the same message.

UltimateDriving 05-07-2013 02:36 PM

I hate you V8 guys. I miss the oil dipstick. :bawling:

edgt 05-07-2013 03:46 PM

2004 545i issues oil, tranny slip, electrical? Anyone??

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 (Post 7295437)
Hi Brian,

Congrats on your purchase of an awesome machine. The 8 cylinder models are beasts!

When you post, please try to give as much information as you can about your vehicle and situation so some of the more experienced readers can give you an opinion.

For example:
1. How many miles total do you have on the car?
2. How many miles have you driven since July? Have you changed the oil since you purchased it?
3. Do you know anything about the previous service done to the car? Specifically how often the oil was changed.
4. Have you noticed any leaks or had the front belly pan off to look underneath the engine and in the belly pan for stains?
5. You ask about adding a quart every couple of months but don't tell us how many miles you have driven or approximate hours the engine has been operated.

Hi All,
I purchased my 2004 545 i as a certified preowned vehicle in 2006 with 18k miles on it. I love the car but it is supper expensive to maintain. I have recently run into a few other issues that are making me rethink its value. I now have 91k on the odo and car is immaculate looking.
Issue 1... Tranny slips or seems to be searching for 5 or 6th gear while cruising at 35 to 40 mph.

Issue 2... While driving with heads up display on and radio, it appears that they both cut out for a split second. the display flashes on and off sporatically about 1 per minute.
I have recently had the battery changed and this seems to have appeared afterwards.

and finally,,,,

Issue 3... Oil leaks and burning. I know what the issue is here seals and valve issue.. Been in contact with bmwoem1 on this.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Ed

jim165 05-07-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgt (Post 7569513)
Hi All,
I purchased my 2004 545 i as a certified preowned vehicle in 2006 with 18k miles on it. I love the car but it is supper expensive to maintain. I have recently run into a few other issues that are making me rethink its value. I now have 91k on the odo and car is immaculate looking.
Issue 1... Tranny slips or seems to be searching for 5 or 6th gear while cruising at 35 to 40 mph.

Issue 2... While driving with heads up display on and radio, it appears that they both cut out for a split second. the display flashes on and off sporatically about 1 per minute.
I have recently had the battery changed and this seems to have appeared afterwards.

and finally,,,,

Issue 3... Oil leaks and burning. I know what the issue is here seals and valve issue.. Been in contact with bmwoem1 on this.

Thanks
Ed

#1 Have the tranny fluid level checked...could be low? Ever had it serviced (fluid change)?
#2 Was the battery registered when it was changed? I'd get one of those little battery/voltage monitors from Autozone that plugs into the lighter socket to monitor what kind of voltage you're getting...could be an alternator issue:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...vL._SY445_.jpg

#3.XXXXXX

bimmerfan52 05-07-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgt (Post 7569513)
Hi All,

and finally,,,,

Thanks
Ed

Issue 1 - First have your trans fluid level checked. And if it hasn't been changed (drain and fill twice) then have it done. If fluid level is good then try a reset of the transmission (see previous posts on forum).

Issue 2 - Have your battery and alternator checked at an auto store (they will do it for free). Next, see if heads-up and radio are on the same fuse. It might be a loose ground connection if both are doing it at the same time. Both might also be on the communications MOST BUS and you might be having issues with it.

Issue 3- Fact of life on high miles BMW V8's. If leaks are manageable (don't leave huge puddles of oil on your garage floor) then either fix the leaks or live with them. For oil consumption you don't say how many miles you drive before you add a half quart or quart (better to add half quarts and not let it get a full quart low). It could be sign of advanced engine component wear or something as simple as crank case ventilation valves.

edgt 05-07-2013 09:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys...
I have had the battery registered so will do the alternator check and check the fuse.

Not sure when the tranny fluid was changed so will do that as well. ( Is this something I can do in my driveway? Myself?

What voltage should I be getting out of the alternator?

edgt 05-07-2013 09:55 PM

BTW.. i did the tranny reset ( foot on pedal) didnt help the slipping at all.. will check the fluid...