Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   X3 06 taking little longer to start. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660660)

Yaz 11-27-2012 06:01 AM

X3 06 taking little longer to start.
 
Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone had good holiday :)
My X3 is taking little longer to start. It not battery problem and its not stater problem because there are no signs of that.
Does that meen I need tuneup? You think it could be because it time for new spark plugs?
It has 60k mils.

Thank you in advance.
Yaz.



Sent from my HTC ONE using Bimmer App

jdauria 11-27-2012 07:33 AM

its just cranking a little longer before it fires up?

Yaz 11-27-2012 08:25 AM

Hello
 
Thank you for your reply.

Yes ...just the way you said, "its cranking a little longer before it fires up"


Thank you.
Yaz

usaret 11-27-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 7216433)
Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone had good holiday :)
My X3 is taking little longer to start. It not battery problem and its not stater problem because there are no signs of that.
Does that meen I need tuneup? You think it could be because it time for new spark plugs?
It has 60k mils.

Thank you in advance.
Yaz.



Sent from my HTC ONE using Bimmer App

Next time you start it turn it to "on" and give it about 10 seconds before you turn to "start". This allows time for the fuel pressure to build up before you try to start it.

If that improves it then it's likely just the check valve in the fuel pump allowing the fuel system to depressurize itself overnight. It's really no big deal if that is what it is. Just pause between on and start. Sometimes it will clear itself of whatever is causing the leak and go back to normal.

X3-terrestrial 11-27-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usaret (Post 7216918)
Next time you start it turn it to "on" and give it about 10 seconds before you turn to "start". This allows time for the fuel pressure to build up before you try to start it.

If that improves it then it's likely just the check valve in the fuel pump allowing the fuel system to depressurize itself overnight. It's really no big deal if that is what it is. Just pause between on and start. Sometimes it will clear itself of whatever is causing the leak and go back to normal.

X2. I just made it a habit to wait until the third "beep"

Also, does it feel slower to crank? like the starter motor turning slower than usual? it could also be the battery letting you know it's on its way out...

jdauria 11-27-2012 10:36 AM

I tend to do the same on my X3.

I started to do it on my e46 as well but only after leaving it for a couple days without a start.

Yaz 11-27-2012 04:23 PM

Am going to try that for few days and see if that will work or its the battery.
So for sure its not a spark plugs right?

Thank you everyone :)

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

usaret 11-28-2012 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaz (Post 7217670)
Am going to try that for few days and see if that will work or its the battery.
So for sure its not a spark plugs right?

Thank you everyone :)

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

I wouldn't think the plugs are the culprit.

You might want to run a bottle or two (one at a time) of Techron through it and see if that helps.

X3emist 11-28-2012 01:58 PM

Same here
 
Ours always has requred more cranking than I felt should have been required. I recently read a thread here regarding waiting a couple seconds after turning the key to position 2. I usually wait until the dash lights start turning off (maybe 3 seconds) and it works for me. Can't tell you why though especially in your case where it was cranking immediately apparently and then all of a sudden it wasn't. Techron, different gas nor a new starter (obtained under warranty) had any impact for me.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms