Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Most Compatable phone for 2012 X5 / Coding (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660668)

jeme 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

Most Compatable phone for 2012 X5 / Coding

I am considering an 2012 X5 Diesel. I was wondering what the members thoughts are on iDrive and what is the most compatable phone - I work for a carrier so I have access to many phones - what is your experience on which phones work best, the phones I have are now are:

Iphone 5
Galaxy SIII
HTC One X+

Any input of some of the neat things you can do with the phones and office functionality? Does SIRI work?

Finally - can someone point me to a good coding resource - ie what is possible with coding and how does it affect warranty?

Thanks so much.

Trying to decide to keep my 2011 Touareg, or go to a X5d or Audi Q5. THe deals are so good on the X5d it is hard to pass up! OK - thanks!

canuck_x5 11-27-2012 07:42 AM

Wife has a iPhone 5 which fully integrates itself with the iDrive (phone book, calls lists, etc + audio controls).

My SIII gives me all the phone features but not the audio controls.

jeme 11-27-2012 07:59 AM

Thanks, sorry for my ignorance - but what do you mean audio controls?

canuck_x5 11-27-2012 08:04 AM

Using the iPhone 5 you can all Audio media can be seen on the screen and song selection can be made using the idrive interface... With the SIII, I have to do the selection or song changes via the phone rather than the iDrive

vittbid 11-27-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck_x5 (Post 7216656)
Using the iPhone 5 you can all Audio media can be seen on the screen and song selection can be made using the idrive interface... With the SIII, I have to do the selection or song changes via the phone rather than the iDrive

that's great to hear. I do not have any music on my galaxy s3 so that doesn't matter.

Thanks.

jeme 11-27-2012 01:33 PM

Any comments on the coding? Thanks!

BimmerVSR 12-05-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck_x5 (Post 7216656)

I don't think this is accurate. Much depends on whether you use Bluetooth to connect to the Audio or if you connect via USB. Both phones will allow full audio controls via USB including Album art, searching, etc. When you connect via BT, you can only advance the track based on whatever list, artist, etc that you selected on the phone itself.

jeme 12-05-2012 08:23 AM

So in reading this it is better (read more functionality) when you connect via USB rather than BT? Is that correct? I also am assuming that the iPhone wors better than the Android phones?