Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Schedule I and II...what's typical mileage? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660712)

relinuca 11-27-2012 09:43 AM

Schedule I and II...what's typical mileage?

I'm still getting familiar with my son's recently purchased '08 X3 (66K miles), and I happen to be a bit of a skeptic about relying on the Service Interval Display for performing maintenance.

Okay, I admit I'm old school but I would like to know what experience other owners have in re. typical mileage intervals that seem to activate the so-called Inspection I and II service displays.

Comments, please.

relinuca

al_macaroni 11-27-2012 10:33 AM

The Inspection II popped up around 52,500 miles on my 2008 X3.

I think the Inspection I, is for the most part, the "15,500 mile" engine oil service.

It took me less than 1.5 hours on a Saturday morning to perform the Inspection II maintenance and inspection. I also drained and filled the transfer case fluid as a part of this maintenance. That is included in my 1.5 hour work time.

Since this was the first time I've done this type of service on the X3, I took my time to look around and check things out. Next time, it should take less than an hour.

I'm planning on changing the front and rear differential fluid sometime before I hit 60,000 miles.

x3brian 11-27-2012 11:35 AM

Technically there are only two messages:

Oil Service
Inspection

The system alternates between the two when you reset the interval. All inspection 2 item are milage or time based changes (ie brake fluid, trans fluid, spark plugs ect).

My understanding of the counter is that it is based off of liters of fuel consumed. With that in mind my next comment makes sense...YMMV...

My 09 has 103k on the ODO, bought new, and used as a highway commuter. I typically get 24 - 26 mpg depending on my lead foot. My average oil change/inspection counter is about 16k to 18k.

I change my oil when the counter gets close to 8k (double the recommendation). I always change the oil again when it hit zero and I do this irregardless if it says oil change or inspection. When I can figure out the coding modules I plan on changing this to be 8,000 miles only. I found some promising coding tips on e46 forums.

The only things I do different:

When oil change or inspection hits 0, that's my reminder to change cabin air filter and check air filter ( usually change at inspection...every 4th oil change).

Also at inspection when it hits 0 miles that's my reminder to do the following:

Brake fluid
Differential
Transfer case
Transmission fluid
Coolant change and expansion tank inspection
Check suspension

I am a classic over maintainer with 300k miles as my end game. So take my recommendations with a grain of salt...;)