Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   BMW X6 - Too complicated for American drivers? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660746)

tim330i 11-27-2012 01:44 PM

BMW X6 - Too complicated for American drivers?

1 Attachment(s)
BMW X6 too complicated for Americans

The Detroit News got a hold of a BMW X6 for a couple days of testing. Despite having great looks and better road manners the majority of the review is spent on the shifter. The BMW shifter and shifting process does take some getting use to, I would not say that a could quirky steps are not beyond the ability for an adult to learn and memorize in a few hours. Is the BMW X6 too complicated for US drivers that want a clunky mechanical shifter on the steering column?

Quote:

But the electronic automatic transmission gear shifter is overly complicated and so different from what most drivers expect that it almost assures error from anyone who hasn't spent considerable time in the vehicle.

I couldn't get it right even after almost 20 hours behind the wheel.
Read the complete article on DetroitNews.com and let us know what you think. If you own an X6 does the shifter bother you?

sunstorm 01-03-2013 08:59 PM

x6 is easy to use, fun to drive, good car for me.

ND40oz 01-03-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 7217286)
Read the complete article on DetroitNews.com and let us know what you think. If you own an X6 does the shifter bother you?

Don't most new BMWs come with the new electronic shifter now, has this writer not driven any other vehicles in their lineup?

vst335is 01-03-2013 09:19 PM

It's not complicated, after all its automatic :)

NoI4plz 01-04-2013 05:09 PM

Nice review from Detroit. However the title is confusing. It should state that the reviewer was soley reviewing the Automatic Shifter BMW is using on their entire new vehicle portfolio rather than stating they were reviewing the X6 and its complicated tech for Americans.

:)

barbja 03-17-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ND40oz (Post 7288369)
Don't most new BMWs come with the new electronic shifter now, has this writer not driven any other vehicles in their lineup?

I don't think so. Although my 2011 x5 had the same shifter as my x6, every 3-series loaner that I've ever had hasn't. Perhaps the electronic shifters are in the 5-class models and above.

I thought the 'joystick' shifter was weird at first, I really like it now. When I get a loaner, I'm flustered with its shifter, just like I can't manage to get the doors shut all the way (that soft-close door syndrome :) ).

Somehow I never forget how to drive a manual transmission though. In emergency stops, I still unconsciously go for the clutch that isn't there, and its been 16 years since I've owned a manual. However, I drove one for 15 before that, so I guess that is almost half my driving life. Gosh I feel old right now!