Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New Tires - 2009 BMW 335i Sedan M-Sport (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660774)

gnrajagopal 11-27-2012 03:39 PM

New Tires - 2009 BMW 335i Sedan M-Sport

I was looking at buying tires from sears as they offer free installation and i have a few gift cards that i could use for the purchase. I live in Fremont ,ca. Wondering if anybody has any experience or comments to share on using sears or any other non dealer locations for tire install? Do BMWs require a special skill when compared to other cars to get the installation right?

Thanks and appreciate your thoughts.

bear-avhistory 11-27-2012 09:00 PM

Run flats can be a problem getting off the car. My personal choice for tires on my BMW's is Tire Rack for the rubber & a local, BMW only, indie shop for the install.

floydarogers 11-28-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnrajagopal (Post 7217595)
.. Wondering if anybody has any experience or comments to share on using sears or any other non dealer locations for tire install? Do BMWs require a special skill when compared to other cars to get the installation right?

Runflat tires are a little different, and need people with a little training and tools that won't scrape up the rims. They've been around long enough that MOST shops' personnel are up to speed. Inquire first and make sure they understand you won't stand for trashed rims.

Don't know about Sears - haven't used them for a while, they're probably ok. But I and others use Costco, Discount tire, Firestone, Goodyear, Big-O, Les Schwab.

gpburdell 11-28-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydarogers (Post 7218585)
make sure they understand you won't stand for trashed rims.

As a measure of insurance, I'd specifically point out to the service writer that my rims are perfect with no damage and I expect them to remain that way. I'd probably have taken a picture of each rim before going to the shop as well; probably a bit paranoid, but handy if they try to claim the damage was preexisting.

gnrajagopal 11-28-2012 03:25 PM

Thanks everybody for the answers. I think i will stick with the local dealer. They are charging 25$ a tire for install.

Raj

Sportsdad 11-28-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnrajagopal (Post 7219713)
Thanks everybody for the answers. I think i will stick with the local dealer. They are charging 25$ a tire for install.

Raj

If that includes disposal, that's a pretty normal price, at least around here (PNW)

I remember when a new tire cost $25. :eeps:

CALWATERBOY 11-29-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnrajagopal (Post 7217595)
I was looking at buying tires from sears as they offer free installation and i have a few gift cards that i could use for the purchase. I live in Fremont ,ca. Wondering if anybody has any experience or comments to share on using sears or any other non dealer locations for tire install? Do BMWs require a special skill when compared to other cars to get the installation right?

Thanks and appreciate your thoughts.

Sears?

SEARS?

God Almighty man, get a grip!

Immediately click HERE and select a local approved vendor. Purchase Michelin PSS run flats.

Wait....temps dropping....summer tires <55 deg F ride stiff. Think about Conti DWS all for winter wear; PSS for summer fun!

Alpine300ZHP 11-29-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnrajagopal (Post 7219713)

Raj

That is a great price. I pay 40-50 a tire for install (including balance and mounting). Expensive, but they don't screw up my wheels and the car is balanced with a Hunter Road Force machine that eliminates any vibration. I am so picky I have my own designated technician who is the only one to do my tires. I ll be seeing him in a month for new rubber on the 335d.

Alpine300ZHP 11-29-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY (Post 7220743)
Sears?

SEARS?

God Almighty man, get a grip!

Immediately click HERE and select a local approved vendor. Purchase Michelin PSS run flats.

Wait....temps dropping....summer tires <55 deg F ride stiff. Think about Conti DWS all for winter wear; PSS for summer fun!

Agree with you. BTW..I am thinking of getting the PSS or Pilot Sport ZP runflats myself. It seems they have the best ratings on Tire Rack. Is that what you are running? Also considering the PZero runflats too.

beamer7 11-29-2012 10:36 AM

BMW 335i Tires for sale

I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza run flat tires for sale

They have 80% thread remaining and are the following size

Fronts are 225/40/18

Rear are 255/35/18

I am located in Raleigh NC.

Price for all four tires is 750$ for local pickup and if you are interested I would be willing to ship it at the buyers expense

CALWATERBOY 11-29-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP (Post 7221127)
Agree with you. BTW..I am thinking of getting the PSS or Pilot Sport ZP runflats myself. It seems they have the best ratings on Tire Rack. Is that what you are running? Also considering the PZero runflats too.

Run PSS all year, put up w/cool weather thunks. Have other vehicles for bad weather, like this week's storm - BMW not my DD.

2011m335d 12-01-2012 12:31 PM

Beamer7,

How many miles on your tires? What did you replace them with? I'm in Raleigh and may be interested in the tires for my 335d...Thanks.