Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Mud Flaps - Anyone Install Them By Themselves? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660955)

325es1988 11-28-2012 09:49 AM

Mud Flaps - Anyone Install Them By Themselves?

Hi All, I'm purchasing the mud flaps and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience installing them.

From my research when you purchase these, they do NOT come with installation instructions. Going through the forum for other Bimmers there is varying info regarding drilling or no drilling. For the instructions that I have found they are for other models and lines.

If drilling is involved I'll pay to have the dealership install them otherwise I believe I can tackle this myself. I'm not brave enough to drill into a 1 week old car.

Hoping to see if anyone has tips or tricks...or maybe even a how to.

Thanks!

dmegeath 11-28-2012 01:01 PM

Mud flaps - had dealer install

I had the dealer install both front and rear wheel mud flaps before I took delivery - they had to pull the wheels off and drill/mount - figured best to let them own the process after spending nearly $40K, what the heck is a couple hundred more?

abwmma 01-21-2013 06:21 AM

Good morning. Can anyone help me out by taking a close up pictures of your front mud flaps? I got the OEM mud flaps, but it did not comes with instruction. Before I start drilling, I can't figure out where the big plastic insert or the small metal screw goes into which bottom hole. Thank you very much.

Perlova 01-21-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmegeath (Post 7219417)
I had the dealer install both front and rear wheel mud flaps before I took delivery - they had to pull the wheels off and drill/mount - figured best to let them own the process after spending nearly $40K, what the heck is a couple hundred more?

I noticed that the back of the X1 gets extremely dirty when driving in the rain or snow. Will the rear mudflaps do any good in keeping the back bumper and tailgate cleaner? Anyone have any before and after experience?

gbazinet 02-20-2013 05:56 AM

x1 mud flaps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perlova (Post 7327786)
I noticed that the back of the X1 gets extremely dirty when driving in the rain or snow. Will the rear mudflaps do any good in keeping the back bumper and tailgate cleaner? Anyone have any before and after experience?

it does a great difference and it really look better, that should be a standard.

i got mine on ebay from china,
very good product,
it fit well, all holes are aligned,
i think i could have done it myself but don't have the tools.
the tech. used some plastic insert about 1.5 inches long
it took him about 20 minutes to do the job.

mullini 02-20-2013 09:57 AM

I don't need mudflaps (Los Angeles resident) but every time I see this thread it makes me think of the great Spinal tap song, "Big Bottom" -

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mud flaps, my baby's got 'em!
How can I leave this behind?

Some big bottom X1's out there, yeah, with their mudflaps and all...

Perlova 02-25-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbazinet (Post 7392470)
it does a great difference and it really look better, that should be a standard.

i got mine on ebay from china,
very good product,
it fit well, all holes are aligned,
i think i could have done it myself but don't have the tools.
the tech. used some plastic insert about 1.5 inches long
it took him about 20 minutes to do the job.

Do you have a link to the ones that you purchased? There are a lot of them on eBay. I want to make sure that I try to get the right ones.

DCC 03-15-2013 09:19 PM

Are the front flaps real low and will scrape when going over speed bmps in the parking lot?
Any pics would be helpful

Brian8888 03-16-2013 07:52 PM

Order the mud flaps from the dealer and they arrived at the dealer but still waiting for my car from POA in NJ. Dealer says POA is updating something with the Steering before it is delivered to the dealer. Long wait.

Kinderhauler 03-18-2013 02:39 AM

Has anyone found after-market mud flaps that are just as good as the OEM ones (p/n's 82162155852, front; 82162155851, rear)? If so, please provide details, including source.

Brian8888 03-19-2013 10:42 AM

The OEM mud flaps are being installed today by the dealer.

adc 03-19-2013 07:27 PM

For those contemplating installing mudflaps, the dealer can always print you the installation instructions, all you have to do is ask...

Lnin0 04-25-2013 04:49 PM

Can someone post pics of their X1 with mudflaps please.

abwmma 04-26-2013 08:03 AM

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399835