Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Airbag resistance and resistors (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660967)

D4T_POM 11-28-2012 10:38 AM

Airbag resistance and resistors

5 Attachment(s)
I have airbag sign for my front drivers door and rear left door airbag lights on.

I have taken screen shots of the resistance with INPA and description from DIS.

I wanted to know how many ohms resisters I would need to put in to get rid of the lights.

Tried to PM Stuartjohn regarding this but does not let me attach images on PM's.

Attachment 351213

Attachment 351214

Attachment 351215

Attachment 351216

Attachment 351217

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App

D4T_POM 11-30-2012 06:52 PM

Sorted some bits of it now.

Thanks Stuart :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App

m3hk1 12-31-2012 08:04 AM

Hi.. Did you manage to get rid of the airbag light? I have the same error but on my rear right door.

stuartjohn24 12-31-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3hk1 (Post 7280981)
Hi.. Did you manage to get rid of the airbag light? I have the same error but on my rear right door.

Hi,

Can you read the firing circuit impedances using INPA like D4T_POM has shown above?

Once you know if the circuit is too high or too low you can fix it by adding resistors in series or parallel.

I helped D4T_POM with his a few months back, he dug out a service bulletin regarding the rear door airbags, and the connector between the chassis and door is known to have high resistance issues and the loom is to be replaced.

Of course there are ways around this if you do not wish to retain the airbag functionality, that however is your own decision! :D

Stuart

m3hk1 01-05-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 (Post 7281650)
Hi,

Can you read the firing circuit impedances using INPA like D4T_POM has shown above?

Once you know if the circuit is too high or too low you can fix it by adding resistors in series or parallel.

I helped D4T_POM with his a few months back, he dug out a service bulletin regarding the rear door airbags, and the connector between the chassis and door is known to have high resistance issues and the loom is to be replaced.

Of course there are ways around this if you do not wish to retain the airbag functionality, that however is your own decision! :D

Stuart

Hi! I've done that sometime ago when i wanted to pull out the error codes, took a look and the firing circuit and it was too high. not by much but still.
Since I don't occupy those seats to often and got told that the rear side door airbags are a hazard to children because the airbags are known to break legs and cause serious damage to them. I know there a way to turn them off simply. I've been looking around but no luck.:dunno:

stuartjohn24 01-05-2013 10:28 AM

Ok, don't think there is a way to disable the airbags through coding.

It is however possible to just wire in a resistor in place of the airbag to make the airbag module think and airbag is fitted.

It's usually done when removing standard steering wheels and fitting racing style ones.

Stuart

m3hk1 01-05-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 (Post 7291906)
Ok, don't think there is a way to disable the airbags through coding.

It is however possible to just wire in a resistor in place of the airbag to make the airbag module think and airbag is fitted.

It's usually done when removing standard steering wheels and fitting racing style ones.

Stuart

Hmm. Thnkx. I will look into it.

kraab 03-04-2013 07:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
To the OP, my airbag in my 530i is resisting just like yours low.

How did you resolve this?

I have tried replacing my battery and clock spring but the error still remains..

kraab 08-08-2013 02:54 PM

Just wanted to let anyone who comes across this thread that my issue was resolved by replacing the steering control module which is part 01 in this link.

I did first replace the SZL and slipring although both of those were a waste of time and money, luckily BMW let me return the parts for the steering module which in turn fixed the dash light and air bag issues!

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...rimLevel=11894

Muzza 01-22-2014 04:31 PM

Air Bag Light 2003 745i

I have a similar problem to others on here. My Airbag warning light is saying I have a fault with the left rear passenger door airbag. I have had it re-set by computer but it returned the next day. Funny since i have had mt older kids in the bag it comes up? coincidence? lol