Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   DMTL - Leak detection pump Change (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661076)

corrado49 11-28-2012 07:12 PM

DMTL - Leak detection pump Change

Hi:

My Service Engine Soon came up (yellow permanent) Dealership says DMTL code. They quote me $1000 for changing the Leak detection pump and the Activated Charcoal Filter .

My question is - It is ultra necessary to change the Activated Charcoal Filter if the pump is bad?

Thanks
Pedro.
328i White - 2009' - M pkg

cwinter 11-29-2012 07:42 AM

It is necessary because it will make it impossible for you to pass inspection, as the SES light is on. Otherwise, the car can be driven safely with it being bad.

This is an emissions related item. Your car is a 2009 and depending on your state, emissions related failures are generally covered beyond the 4 year/50k mile warranty. Not sure if that law applies in Puerto Rico though. :dunno: The EPA law I believe states 8 years or 80,000 miles for major emissions related items for cars built after 1995.

My pump went out at about 30k miles and was replaced under warranty. Sad to hear it costs $1,000 if it happens again. :(

EDIT:

OK so here is the wording from the 2009 Warranty statement, which applies to PR cars.

The following components and/or system are/is
covered under the Federal EmissionWarranty for
a period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever
occurs first.

CATALYTIC CONVERTER

ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (INCLUDING
ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM)

Perhaps someone can shed light on whether the DTML pump falls under the latter Engine Control Module.

Princeton 11-29-2012 08:46 AM

I had this work done on my wife's X3 by my trusted indy mechanic. Parts and labor were < $500.

corrado49 11-29-2012 09:04 AM

Thank you guys.

@ cwinter, here in PR car inspection is a great lie. Inspectors almost check anything and you get the certificate by only taking the car to the Inspection Center. My concern is that; I'm looking to do this by myself, I am going to buy the pump and install it, but I don't want to buy the charcoal canister if it's not ultra necessary. It cost more than the pump. ($215) :cry:

@princeton, Thanks man....yeah I know dealership is trying to overcharge me. :mad:
BTW what is an indy mechanic. indy like indy cars?

jburke4689 11-29-2012 09:14 AM

indy like independant. Not a BMW dealer.

corrado49 11-29-2012 09:33 AM

Ha ha Thanks!

cwinter 11-29-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corrado49 (Post 7221030)
Thank you guys.

@ cwinter, here in PR car inspection is a great lie. Inspectors almost check anything and you get the certificate by only taking the car to the Inspection Center. My concern is that; I'm looking to do this by myself, I am going to buy the pump and install it, but I don't want to buy the charcoal canister if it's not ultra necessary. It cost more than the pump. ($215) :cry:

@princeton, Thanks man....yeah I know dealership is trying to overcharge me. :mad:
BTW what is an indy mechanic. indy like indy cars?

Are you saying you can pass a car in PR with the SES light on? :dunno:

I looked on RealOEM.com and the pump plus filter runs about $350 with tax and all. Not sure how much labor time is required.

corrado49 11-29-2012 10:42 AM

Not only with that....I know cars that pass inspection with broken side lights and bad emissions. Is a great Lie, and the state knows that.

Thanks man for your help!