Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   KW V1 Coilovers question (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661128)

AlpineWhizza 11-29-2012 06:05 AM

KW V1 Coilovers question

I just ordered the V1's for my 2012 550i Msport.. I've got the adjustable suspension setting feature where I can adjust my ride firmness from Comfort+ to Sport+

Will I still be able to use this feature with the V1 coilovers installed or is the feature pretty much useless after I install??

Alan L. 11-29-2012 06:31 AM

That feature will no longer work after doing the KW's. You will also need to get the KW control box to eliminate the dash error that you will get after the install since the ecu will be looking for something that isn't there anymore.

Alan

AlpineWhizza 11-29-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L. (Post 7220742)
That feature will no longer work after doing the KW's. You will also need to get the KW control box to eliminate the dash error that you will get after the install since the ecu will be looking for something that isn't there anymore.

Alan

Thanks Alan.. what about standard lowering springs as opposed to coilovers?? Would I be able to utilize my vehicles factory adjustable suspension after installing springs?

Alan L. 11-29-2012 08:55 AM

Yes. I have the DDC option on my car and ACS lowering springs. You still retain all adjustable settings if you only get springs.

bikerboy 11-29-2012 08:39 PM

I have ACS lowering springs on my 550ix sport and it is, in my opinion, the best option you can put on the car. I also have Dinan 2. Although I love the extra power, lowering that car is needed more than anything else. I NEVER liked the way the car looked with those big gaps between the tires and the wheel wells. The car just "feels" better.

When I had an occasion to take the car in for a problem a while back, they had to do new coding, which wiped out the Dinan download. I had to drive the car for a couple weeks with the stock power, waiting for Dinan to update its software. With that experience I was able to determine that the lowering springs, without the Dinan, made for a better driving experience than having the Dinan 2 before I lowered it.

Bottom line....put on ACS springs and lower the darn thing. Every time you walk out to the car and see it sitting down where it belongs, you'll be glad you did.

AlpineWhizza 11-29-2012 09:31 PM

Okay.. I was fortunate enough to be able to cancel my order of the V1's.. I will consider installing springs instead. I've done some research though and it seems like installing these springs is a pain in the ass for body shops so I'm kind of left with the concern of a proper install.. But I will still consider it..

thanks guys

Tuffyboy 11-29-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerboy (Post 7222436)
I have ACS lowering springs on my 550ix sport and it is, in my opinion, the best option you can put on the car. I also have Dinan 2. Although I love the extra power, lowering that car is needed more than anything else. I NEVER liked the way the car looked with those big gaps between the tires and the wheel wells. The car just "feels" better.

When I had an occasion to take the car in for a problem a while back, they had to do new coding, which wiped out the Dinan download. I had to drive the car for a couple weeks with the stock power, waiting for Dinan to update its software. With that experience I was able to determine that the lowering springs, without the Dinan, made for a better driving experience than having the Dinan 2 before I lowered it.

Bottom line....put on ACS springs and lower the darn thing. Every time you walk out to the car and see it sitting down where it belongs, you'll be glad you did.

Great assessment. I have Dinan 2 but your post sold me on spring. Dinan or ACS and why please...

m6pwr 12-01-2012 09:13 AM

After installing lowering springs, is a suspension re-alignment necessary?